PDA

View Full Version : LCY Investment

7006 fan
15th Mar 2005, 18:54
Gather the DLR it due to inter-connect to LCY by beginning of 2006, should make it popular. Also is it correct there is £40m of investment planned for the next 5 years?
interesting to note F70's are licenced, assume F100's are not?

Cheers

Fried_Chicken
15th Mar 2005, 19:25
The Fokker 100 isn't certified for LCY ops, not sure if they'd be able to get in & out off the shortish runway but probably too big for the apron/stands.

I think there was talk of an apron extension to the east which would be built on stilts across the dock/water, I presume this would be quite expensive, presumably a substantial amount of money will be going on this project

Fried Chicken

ELondonPax
16th Mar 2005, 12:10
To be pedantic, the DLR extension to LCY is due to open in mid Dec 2005, not 2006. The toytown railway has been extended three times so far ([1] to Bank [2] to Beckton and [3] to Lewisham) and each extension was completed within budget and on time. The new viaduct is now built, and track has been laid. So, unlike other rail operators in the UK, they do have some credibility when they say they’ll open in mid December.

There was a piece in the FT on Monday 14th about the proposed terminal extension, to the east side of existing buildings. The FT story included direct quotes from the airport owners, so presume it’s more than a rumour. If my memory is correct, the FT story mentioned that the development would allow LCY to handle A318 / A319.

Buster the Bear
16th Mar 2005, 20:20
If the apron can be extended to accept A319/318's, expect to see at least the smaller of the two at London City.

70,000 work within the Canary Wharf area currently, this is expected to reach 200,000 by the end of this decade

http://whipsnade.co.uk/picturelibrary/jpeg150/br/brown_bear_120_wide.jpg

jabird
17th Mar 2005, 14:13
Hmm, wouldn't these new jets destroy LCYs usp?

Small planes = quick to get on, quick to get off.
Large(r) A318/9 = more of a crush in the terminal, no more 3 minute baggage reclaims etc.
Wouldn't business pax prefer high frequency rather than bigger a/c?
More seats to put bums on= lower yields? Not the LCY model?
How would these a/c get past the noise restrictions?
Can they climb / descend rapidly enough?

Why don't they leave the workhorse market to STN, LTN etc, and stick to the niche they do best?

Fried_Chicken
17th Mar 2005, 16:43
Although I don't think there have been any orders for a corporate version of the A318, there are a few A319CJs flying around Europe & at present, corporate/business aircraft seems to be where the majority of LCYs growth is.

Fried Chicken