PDA

View Full Version : "The World" Islands in Dubai-is it for real?

newscaster
15th Mar 2005, 09:04
Saw an ad in Gulf News and the map of Dubai in it shows a whole Island being created in the form of a flat globe with all the continents plus a sphere around them, is that real, its not linked to land in any way and is in the middle odf the sea, also there were two more "Palm" projects one was really huge on the side leading to Sharjah while another is coming up at Jumeirah.

typhoonpilot
15th Mar 2005, 13:20
Amazingly there are no adverse environmental conditons caused by this alteration of the coastline :suspect:

hann
15th Mar 2005, 17:36
Lets hope they get it right the first time....... or there will be a lot of expensive properties sat at the bottom of the gulf in 10/15 years time !!!
:hmm:

Be good for diving though ! :rolleyes:

galactica
17th Mar 2005, 03:34
3 PAlm island and the world are real,( the Gulf is not very deep) they will also build a "Dubai land" bigger then disney land, have there own F1 team, start a new race car categorie, buil an under watter hotel, the tallest tower in the world, buy 40 Airbus A-380, have a ski slop in one of there mall ( 50 ceilcius her in summer)

And yes , I do play ice hockey in Dubai:8

White Knight
17th Mar 2005, 03:59
Galactica - where you under the influence when you posted old bean?:p :p

buttline
17th Mar 2005, 10:23
Check this out..

http://www.thedubaiwaterfront.com/

They're reclaiming more land around Jebel Ali and looking to build a canal which will connect Palm Jumeirah and Palm Jebel .

chinny
17th Mar 2005, 10:50
:( hey typoon,

sorry but unfortuneately u r wrong about the environment-the silt is causing a massive kknock on on marine life-recon to take up to 5 years for it to recover.
There is a prolific? shark population in the gulf and the islands along with the palms has totally sc**ed up there migratory patterns.What next---no environmental agents were consulted at the start of the projects-tooo late now:sad:

divingduck
17th Mar 2005, 12:43
Hey White knight....

yep he probably was under the influence when he posted...but that doesn't change the fact that indeed they are doing all the above!

Islands of the world is the newest one..all are allegedly sinking though! Will indeed be a good dive site in a few years (according to a reliable source)

Hey galactica..you didn't just move to DXB from MCT did you???

typhoonpilot
17th Mar 2005, 12:50
Chinny:

Putting this :suspect: in my message was meant to convey the sarcasm.

They actually consulted an environmental expert before the project started, paid for his services would be a better way to put it. With the nice check he made what do you think he said?

TP

chinny
17th Mar 2005, 12:54
Hey typoon-thought that was the case but had to be sure.
I agree with what you said-the way of the "world" out here unfortuneately.

Believe Brother
17th Mar 2005, 13:02
Hey galactica

I think that list of things says a lot about their need for acceptance on the international stage. They are turning Dubai into some kind of crass caricature. (And a lot of locals I have spoken to aren't overly happy about it). However, it is amazing what you can do when oil is maintaining well above the OPEC recommended price of $25 a barrel. And they still have a lot of it left.

typhoon

I think you will find they ended up commissioning 4 EIS's for the first Palm. The first 3 all canned it as a very bad idea, but then, I guess what you say must have been true for the fourth one.