PDA

View Full Version : Shannon

phil_2405
14th Mar 2005, 20:15
I am thinking about using one of Ryanair's new services to Shannon later in the year but I am unsure what (if anything) there is to see and do in the Shannon area. Can anyone offer me any advice/ recommendations or sources for further information please?:cool:

OneWorld22
14th Mar 2005, 20:22
I am unsure what (if anything) there is to see and do in the Shannon area. Can anyone offer me any advice/ recommendations or sources for further information please?

Picture this: Image of tumbleweeds blowing through a dusty old town that hasn't seen life for year!! :p :p

Fly into Shannon allright, but get the train staright up to Dublin!

Onan the Clumsy
14th Mar 2005, 20:36
I'm confused: You're "thinking" of going there and yet, know not what you will see when you arrive :confused:

FLCH
14th Mar 2005, 20:41
Limerick is a few miles away, typical small town a few good pubs and eateries, not much else though....maybe a trip to Bunratty castle or go down to Foynes to see where the the old Clipper sea planes came in, if you really want to have a great time do as the others have said....go to Dublin...

fullrich
14th Mar 2005, 20:54
Please Ignore the comments of ONEOWORLD. Shannon is if you like the gateway to the west of Ireland ie: the real Ireland. If you want Irelands answer to suburbia and traffic jams then by all means go to Dublin, but if you want a taste of the real Ireland then within one hour of Shannon airport you can visit the burren,cliffs of moher,aran islands,bunratty Castle and folk park,Citys of Galway (recommended) and Limerick ,towns like and a whole host of other attractions with a quick search of the web.Of course the beautiful Killarney, but that can be accessed through kerry airport also.

phil_2405
14th Mar 2005, 21:03
I'm confused: You're "thinking" of going there and yet, know not what you will see when you arrive

I am just looking at possible destinations for 2-3 day holiday later in the year. Sad it maybe but I quite often plan holidays around where I can get cheap flights to. I believe LCC's have opened up many destinations in Europe which many would never have considered going to. Hence why I have asked for any help with what is in the Shannon area and is it worth a visit. I have already been to Dublin twice and would be interested in visiting another part of the Emerald Isle!

but if you want a taste of the real Ireland then within one hour of Shannon airport you can visit the burren,cliffs of moher,aran islands,bunratty Castle and folk park,Citys of Galway (recommended) and Limerick ,towns like and a whole host of other attractions

Would I need to hire a car then or would public transport be ok?

ad astra
14th Mar 2005, 22:59
You will probably need a car as the public transport isn't great. Shannon does have coach/bus services to the main towns but some of the best things to see are out of town. Killarney is full of tourists in the summer months and not that lovely, but the surrounding scenery is really beautiful; Gap of Dunloe etc. I would recommend the drive from Killarney to Kenmare and then on to Bantry for really stunning natural scenery, and not far from Bantry is Garnish island which is also worth a visit. Another couple of hours drive and you're in Cork, or, more impressively, Kinsale, which is a lovely seaside town with lots of good restaurants (and is known as the 'gourmet capital of Ireland') - and where you can find me and buy me a pint for this and further information!

Watchoutbelow
14th Mar 2005, 23:19
You definitley need a car if you want to get about the place!

plenty of very good restauraunts nearby around Lough Derg and all along the river shannon, you could even hire a boat for a couple of days, very well worth it, especially if you enjoy Fishing.
take a trip out towards the coast and visit the the cliffs of Moher or go further up the Coast and visit the Aran islands, its like taking a trip back in time!

BALIX
15th Mar 2005, 08:24
Phil

Did exactly what you are proposing to do last year. Do it. It's great. Definitely hire a car, it won't break the bank for a couple of days.

Take a brolly, though ;)

MSF
15th Mar 2005, 16:30
Avoid June, July and early August (rain).
The best weather is here in late August and September.
If you like castles, it's the best place to go.
3 days may not be enough.
Public transport sucks so hire a car.
Like everything else, the earlier you book, the better the price.

phil_2405
16th Mar 2005, 17:35
Thanks for all the info people! Still considering it, after reading more about Cork I reckon that might me more up my street! :=

Rallye EI-BFP
15th Apr 2005, 15:17
Do of course come to EINN, see my site for info on the airport:

www.shannonairportenthusiasts.net

Limerick is great, loads of stuff to do

PIGDOG
15th Apr 2005, 21:14
Don't even think of using public transport

Hitch! It's a lot more fun and people have more sympathy for hitch-hikers when its lashing and they're soaked to the skin.
(you won't have to wait long for it to rain either, once a day, at least!)

Get lost in the Burren!

Dangle over the Cliffs or Moher!

Get stabbed in Limerick!

All the exciting things I can say I've tried (well nearly) in the west of Ireland.

Just remember to end all conversations wit "Up the BANNER!":ok:

tinpis
15th Apr 2005, 22:21
Tin used to fly into Dublin in 79-80 and couldnt help notice a Lockheed Constellation parked there.
What became of it?

Hamrah
16th Apr 2005, 01:22
I lived in SNN in those days, depends which one you saw.

There a couple, the longest survivor being N11SR (http://www.adastron.com/lockheed/constellation/vh-eab2.htm)

However, I have a photograph taken in 1976 from the cockpit on a NavyN3N Biplane of the SRS hangar in Shannon, and outside there is DC3, a DC6, A DC7 and a L749 Constellation, all in flying condition.

H

mutt
16th Apr 2005, 04:13
If I remember correctly, the one in Dublin was chopped upů.

Mutt

Sailor Vee
16th Apr 2005, 07:51
Hamrah, I can assure you that none of those are left, there's an old Iberia 720, and a 707 was 'dismantled' last year, using a demolition machine!

Wonder if yer man has been here yet?