PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycles: Do you have one and what is it?

Seaweed Knees
14th Mar 2005, 15:32
I've been riding a GSX-R600 since early 2000. Before that, it was a DT125.

I'm heavily into my trackdays but unfortunately can only afford to do a couple a year.

I'd highly reccomend it to anyone with a bike. Its the most fun you can have with or without your clothes on in my opinion. Plus, it'll really increase your awareness of your bikes potential. Something that may prove life saving at a later date.

Heres an action shot of me and my baby at Brands Hatch.

http://photoalbum.surfbird.org/albums/R6MessageNet/Druids_14.jpg

mystic_meg
14th Mar 2005, 16:07
I'd highly reccomend it to anyone with a bike. Its the most fun you can have with or without your clothes on in my opinion. Plus, it'll really increase your awareness of your bikes potential. Something that may prove life saving at a later date.

...Hmmm..not so sure about those comments - my first TD was at a circuit in S. England (rhymes with a well-known springwater, and also has an airfield) at which, despite the 'safety brief' a guy on a ZX9, the back of whose leathers looked like a relief map of the Cairngorms, insisted on cutting everyone up at corners and generally frightening the [email protected] out of a lot of people.
I decided to head home early after the icing on the cake, which was after one of the so-called 'experienced' marshallers managed to lead round the 'experienced group' i.e. one or more TDs under their belts, only to dump his brand new machine on the grass at the start/finish curve ..(another clue there..) as he pulled over to let them pass, including the aforementioned kamikaze ninja rider.

Bad experience, IMHO poorly marshalled/administered by the organisers; have since done several more at different venues which were far better organised and marshalled, including black flags for those who decided not to heed the safety brief. By all means go out there and have fun, and learn some valuable lessons both about you and your bike, but do it safely :ok:

Onan the Clumsy
14th Mar 2005, 16:10
Is that a policeman following you?

joe2812
14th Mar 2005, 17:50
Just got my bike license, on a GZ125 Marauder... next bike (hopefully in time for summer!) will be an SV650/S... although dream bike atm is a GSX-R600

Seaweed Knees.... :mad:

allyn
14th Mar 2005, 17:53
I have 2002 faired Hornet 600.....It's my only means of personal transport.....

Arrestahook
14th Mar 2005, 18:43
Aprillia Tuono and shortly KTM 640 LC4 for tooling around on. You can never have enough toys!

Wombat66
14th Mar 2005, 18:46
Treated myself to new GSXR 600 before Xmas but still use the old Thundercat for commuting. Roll on summer!

Dead_Heading
14th Mar 2005, 18:54
Don't ride myself unfortunately :( but get bikers coming through the village every weekend, tis a joy to hear. Looks bl**dy good fun, must try it out some day, on track hopefully. Nice when everyone stops at the local in summer too :ok:

Nereus
14th Mar 2005, 18:57
had a CBR 'till last year, 'tis bloody good fun, would have killed me though :E

HandspringGuy
14th Mar 2005, 18:57
Sorry but 4 wheels only for me.
Always held the opinion that you can't fall off a car
prolly just an old fart

redsnail
14th Mar 2005, 19:10
A very proud owner of a gorgeous Ducati 400ss "Junior" (http://www.mccannhj.flyer.co.uk/junior.htm).
Very rare.

avoman
14th Mar 2005, 19:27
A '99 Honda Fireblade. Indeed it can be the most outrageous fun. Thirty five years years on bikes and it gets better still. Sometimes I think to myself 'Does anybody else have any idea of how good this is?' before concluding, sadly no. Aerobatic pilots and yacht racers, well they know the feeling too. But this is easier to attain. More please!
Surprised to hear of track day bothers. In my experience other people are not much of a worry, keep clear and let 'em go. I am the risk factor to myself on my track days!

Whirlygig
14th Mar 2005, 19:59
prolly just an old fart
HSG - but you're way younger'n me!

However, as Whirlygig really IS an old fart, I can't be doing with these modern new-fangled sports bikes - it's a Triumph Bonneville for me with a bit, fat comfortable seat for my ......

I think my old Yamaha RD200DX is still kicking down the back of my ex-father-in-law's garage. Good home for it anyone?

Cheers

Whirlygig

SuperOwl
14th Mar 2005, 20:04
I've got a Suzuki Bandit. I keep thinking of what bike to buy next and was even thinking of replacing it last year but couldn't decide what to replace it with so I still have it. I may even keep it and use it for my commute and bad weather journeys and buy something brand new for the nice weather or longer journeys. I had a go on a Honda Pan-European not long ago, and I was surprised at how good it was to ride. It's no wonder the police like them.

I went on a run over the Woodhead Pass yesterday for a bacon sarnie (cheaper than the 200 burger) and even popped into the viewing park at Manchester Airport to see Concorde. I have to say though, there was some rather strange people there that to be frank, I wouldn't let my kids go near them. As for the weather, it was sunshine galore but despite wearing my winter gear, it took me about three hours to thaw out when I got home. But the biggest event of the ride was "Middle Lane Malcolm" doing 35 mph on the M67 going through Stockport. Traditionally, I uttered the odd profanity as I passed him.

My Bandit might be old, and it may only be a Bandit but I've become rather attached to it.

Looks like a wet 20 minute journey to work tomorrow but it could be worse, I could be stuck in the traffic for over an hour.

Wingswinger
14th Mar 2005, 21:04
We used to live in the Cotswolds. A beautiful part of England it is. Except at weekends. Have you ever heard the song of the Cotswolds - the Yamaha fugue and Honda sonata? Stand anywhere in the open and you can't possibly miss it - Stow-on-the-Wold, Snowshill or Wychwood - it doesn't matter where. The constant noise drowns out the skylarks. It was no joke having a 40-strong posse of bikers through the village at 0630. The only respite came in the winter months. These two-wheeled organ-donors ruin the place for everyone else. What is it about so many bikers that makes them think they have the right to treat the public roads like a race-track? We moved away.

SuperOwl
14th Mar 2005, 21:38
I'm not even going to try to defend the antics of some bikers because I can't. What I can say is that almost every biker I know is sick of the antics of a certain element of bikers and we would like to see the back of them. What may surprise a lot of people is that most bikers (at least the ones I am in contact with) would actually like to see more traffic police on our roads. Even more so if they can root out the rogue element of bikers and get them off the road.

Seaweed Knees is probably a good example of a responsible biker (at least I hope so) in that he wants to go fast on his bike, so he does so at a race track where he can't cause any real harm to anybody. Also, he probably had some expert tuition thrown in. Sadly, some bikers think that the road will do and clearly it won't.
However, not all motorcycle fatalities are a result of dangerous riding or excessive speed. Diesel spills, poor road surface and crap car driving are all featured in the stats.

There is a good side to bikers in the fact that they raise one hell of a lot for charity and many participate in "Toy Runs" at christmas where they'll deliver toys to kids in hospital and also "Easter Egg Runs". I don't hear much of car drivers doing this sort of thing as a group.

It's like most things, its the loud minority that get noticed yet the quiet majority are often overlooked.

joe2812
14th Mar 2005, 21:45
Hmm.... one feels the thread will become Car vs Bike...

I'm very pro-bike. They're a thrill to ride, something which until you've ridden you will never understand or appreciate. I think the on-road camaraderie shown by motorcyclists could teach car-only drivers a thing or two. In the year or so i've been riding i've had numerous old guys, young-uns, and very fine looking leather-clad women stop and make conversation about their bikes. Being a new rider last year I pulled over when the heavens opened to seek shelter till it stopped. I had 2 Fireblades pull over to check I was alright, followed by a conversation about...you guessed it, our bikes. How many drivers would do that?

Bikers live and breathe motorcycles and it is a common misconception that all riders are out to kill themselves. Motorcyclists are the most responsible road users out of the lot, it is only a small minority letting the side down.

Sitting on a bike gives you a better view of the road, and as we're so exposed we HAVE to think about what we're doing, aswell as think for you about what you're doing. Car drivers sit there, coccooned in their little metal boxes because nothing can touch them, not even noticing the bike coming towards them, overtaking, or pulling out of a side road. The biker is usually the one who takes avoiding action because you, the car driver, couldnt be bothered to check your mirror or stop to ensure it was clear. It's been proven that bikers can at times become invisible to drivers due to something called 'motion camoflauge' (I think?) and we can be blocked entirely on roundabouts etc by your windscreen pillars... But when you hit us, it's our fault for going too fast right?

I don't hear many drivers complaining about the average boy-racer nonce with his big can on his brand new Nova, along with his mates and their banging [email protected] music.

Before you next bad-mouth the motorcyclist breezing past you whilst you're stuck in a traffic jam, think that perhaps he's not just a thrill seeking maniac, but a responsible road user, thinking not just for himself but for the other 6 or 7 people around him... when you're on a bike, everyone is out to kill you, it's up to you to make sure they dont.

(edited for crap spelling....)

SuperOwl
14th Mar 2005, 22:03
joe2812,

Some very good points there. The leather clad women themselves make biking worthwhile but the cameraderie is something else. I stopped off for a p1ss the other day and so did another biker. We spent a good half-hour putting the motoring world to rights before we went our seperate ways. That doesn't happen when driving a car.

I believe it was the AA who said that people who ride motorbikes were the most competent road users even when driving a car. They mentioned that observations and lane discipline are where bikers are especially superior to car-only motorists.

A cause of concern for me is seeing most 17 year olds riding on L-plates as a lot of them don't seem very capable. Quite often in busy traffic I've taken it upon myself to shepherd them out of tricky situations because of their inexperience coupled with the fact that some car drivers seemed to take great delight in tailgating these clearly vulnerable road users. Usually, I tuck in behind them and hold the tailgating car up for a few seconds to allow the kids to make their escape.

Then I make mine:D

Shaggy Sheep Driver
14th Mar 2005, 22:23
I went on a run over the Woodhead Pass yesterday for a bacon sarnie (cheaper than the 200 burger) and even popped into the viewing park at Manchester Airport to see Concorde.

SuperOwl - I'm a guide on that lovely machine - and a biker. Concorde is open to the public over Easter (I'm 'on' Good Friday all day and Easter Monday morning - have to reserve some holiday for flying our Chipmunk and riding me bike!). Come and visit the lovely Alpha Charlie - flagship of the Concorde fleet! (you need to book ahead - call the Manchester Airport Tour Centre).

I took up biking a few years ago with a DAS course, Bought a VFR 800 but found it a tad bland, so went for a Blackbird. Awsome performance but still lacking character and also a real licence loser (160mph top speed and acceleration limited by how hard you can hang on!). It was 'a turbine-powered magic carpet' - an excellent bike, smooth and supremely quick. But not really 'me'.

Now got the bike I really wanted all along - the BMW 1150GS. Upright riding position so I can see the view (and the overtakes - you can see over the cars). And superb handling. And loads of character from the two-pot boxer.

I love it!

SSD

Say again s l o w l y
14th Mar 2005, 22:30
Ducati 748 sitting in the garage. What a stunner, if only the same thing could be said of it's owner!!

Kulu
14th Mar 2005, 22:35
Honda Deauville - great for commuting, fits everything into the panniers, big enough to be seen and small enough to squeeze through traffic. And shaft driven so no chain nonsense.

Now if only the cars would stop trying to knock me off it...

amanoffewwords
14th Mar 2005, 22:53
I'm quite happy with my Honda cityflyer 125 thankyou very much, good enough for London, overtakes Ferraris crawling through traffic on the Kings Road very nicely....!.

amofw

bubba zanetti
15th Mar 2005, 00:06
My Triumph 955 Sprinthttp://img34.exs.cx/img34/2762/triumphsprintst9wk.jpg

Animalclub
15th Mar 2005, 00:54
Can anyone tell me where I can see a Panther 250 (my first bike)? Only bike I knew with oleomatic front forks at that time.

I understand that there is one in a museum in Scotland... but where?

jumpseater
15th Mar 2005, 01:14
Rarer than reddo's junior and louder than a very loud thing my 'toy' is this

http://greengoscale.fotopic.net/p11213313.html

http://greengoscale.fotopic.net/p11213314.html

Speedo's? you wear them for swimmin dont ya?.....

54BHP from 250cc two stroke, its got a switch rather than a throttle.... I love the smell of 2-stroke in the morning, smells like victory....

Arrestahook should have got a proper motard..... :E
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

'As we are a low cost airline, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off'.....

BenThere
15th Mar 2005, 01:22
'04 Harley Road King

aged
15th Mar 2005, 01:26
Had a few but bikeless right now. I'm trying to find a decent low milage second hand XT600. Then I'm going to ship it to Sakhalin Island and ride back home through Russia, Mongolia, etc (similar to Ewan MacGregor etc but other direction and not from Magadan).
Shipping takes 30 to 40 days and a crate big enough for two bikes costs about 1600 quid.
Good holiday, about a month.

Avtrician
15th Mar 2005, 01:30
You can ride a bike and be an old fart, its good fun.

My wheels are a Kwaka ZZR1100, my daily ride all weather conditions (well no snow and Ice here)

Sully182
15th Mar 2005, 02:03
Hello

Have been riding bikes since I was a kid. Started off with Suzuki Bloop years before I was road legal, then went to a Kawasaki KH125. This was a right old dog but did me proud. Poor thing, 2 stroke oily bike that served its purpose well thrashing up and down the A5 between Surrey and Leicestershire.
Next was a GPZ500, small, light and great fun. This took me into France and Ireland. After getting bored with that I purchased a Suzuki GSF750F. Nice machine. Now I ride a Honda ST1300 Pan European. Great bike. 13000 miles in 9 months. I love it.

I would urge anybody who rides to consider doing an advanced motorcyle course with either the Institute of Advanced Motorists or Rospa. Have a look at their websites. It will greatly improve your awareness and enjoyment of this great past time. The club atmosphere in the groups is great as well

Should anybody live near Stratford Upon Avon and fancy a ride out, feel free to PM me.

jonjie
15th Mar 2005, 03:14
Had a Yamaha XT600 Tenere when i was in Australia..a bunch of Honda XR200's..and a 750 Trans-alp when i was younger...but my best times now is riding my 50cc Honda Dio to the country club with my 4-year old sitting up front doing the throttle and the horn...ahhh fatherhood!

SPS7
15th Mar 2005, 08:57
Ducati 996SPS for sunny summer days, Ducati 748R for racing, Yamaha R1 for crappy winter days on road and a KTM 200 for crappy winter days offroad.:E

Avtrician
15th Mar 2005, 09:33
At home now, so can post a piccy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/Avtrician/ZZR1100.jpg

The Mighty ZZR 1100

waldopepper42
15th Mar 2005, 09:39
"R1 for those winter days"?

I envy your riding skill! I keep my R1 for those nice summer days when the roads are dry enough to give me confidence. Don't fancy all that power going through the back tyre in icy conditions! Well, I think the R1 is powerful!

OK, I'm an old git - learned to ride on a BSA C12 and the first big bike I rode was a Norton Commando - wonderful machine.

tall and tasty
15th Mar 2005, 09:45
Unfortunately don't ride one myself but would love to learn :p

But been on the back of my brothers bikes, full leathers, loads of times especially when he hits the 120 clicks on the motor way (pssss please don't let on) but nothing better than the adrenaline rush you get from being on one of these:E .

He also dirt bikes and that is a fun in a different way being a passenger especially when you go over the jumps!

But saying all that being a passenger makes you more aware of the hazards of a bike rider and when I drive a car I always make sure before I do a manoeuvre, that I look out for them. He has been involved in some nasty crashes from car drivers who just did not see him coming. :uhoh:

TnT :ok:

Flying Lawyer
15th Mar 2005, 10:19
VFR 750. By no means the fastest thing on two wheels, but fast enough to be fun and a riding position which doesn't cause backache. One of the best sports/tourers ever IMHO.

Sounds like you had a bad experience at Thruxton, M-M.

There used to be a Honda racing school at Cadwell Park some years ago. Is it still there? They provided VFR400's and we went out in groups of four, taking it in turns to follow the instructor to learn the racing lines, and were then sent off on our own.
I wasn't (and am still not) a good enough rider to do it full justice, but it was fantastic fun even without scraping my knees on the corners. Superb day out. :ok:

Seaweed Knees
15th Mar 2005, 10:39
Ducati 996SPS for sunny summer days, Ducati 748R for racing, Yamaha R1 for crappy winter days on road and a KTM 200 for crappy winter days offroad.

You lucky bastard.

I was planning to try and enter some of the rookie 600 races this year in the UK. I dont think thats going to happen though as i've got a broken ankle.

I think the non riding publics perception of motorcyclists is often coloured by the fact that many of the bikes on the road are essentially de tuned race machines.
Even when ridden responsibly, in full leathers you cant help but look a little sinister.

Tallbloke
15th Mar 2005, 10:53
VFR 750, better than I will ever be. My local dealership is trying to convince me to get a new Triumph Sprint (when it finally arrives) and I am also pondering a Blackbird, but when I actually think hard about it, there is no reason yet to let the old Viffer go just yet.

Nice bike Reddo.

BOFH
15th Mar 2005, 11:06
SuperOwl whenever I saw a twit on a bike, I consoled myself with the thought that he'd make up the statistics for me.

A girl I knew (unfortunately, not in the Biblical sense) convinced me to take up motorcycles at the grand old age of 23. There is no buzz like riding one, and nothing can give you a better grounding in the basics of primary driving safety.

In my father's day, it was the norm to start off with a bike before moving onto a car. Now, we give driving licences out with every packet of Cornflakes (or Frosties, if you want a manual licence).

Years of riding on congested roads during sudden downpours, dodging maniacs on Autobahnen on an underpowered CB400F (two up) and watching for just-parked losers opening their on-side doors have, I hope, made me a far better (cage) driver, and I always watch for that telltale single headlight which tells me that someone wants me to hold my course. This includes the awkward 135 (or -135, depending where it is) headturn before changing lanes, just in case.

I miss the cameraderie - p1ssing my boots when a pack of Harley riders from Mt Mangrove pulled in alongside me when I was broken down on the old Pacific Hwy to Gosford and being perfectly friendly to me despite me being on a Honda. They even analysed what was wrong (a sharp edge in the clutch handle wearing away at the cable). Had to ride home clutchless nonetheless, no mean feat on a kickstart, I can tell you!

Now I'm middle-aged, I am too accustomed to having four limbs and the full use of them to dare riding. Death does not scare me. Anything short of it does. Those of you who do ride will get my full attention and not a little envy when you snake or blast past me.

BOFH

PS Reddo fond regards from an old Macquarie boy. Would have been there around the same time. Cairn+ ring any bells?

Taildragger55
15th Mar 2005, 11:09
back of my brothers bikes, full leathers,

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, T&T.

That though has my concentration gone for today.

I blame it on watching Emma Peel in "The Avengers" in my formative years.

jumpseater
15th Mar 2005, 11:19
FL I think it is still there, but something tells me they now use the R6, or one of the schools there does. Theres even one that I've heard uses Ducati 748's. Like FL I can recommend race schools, I went to the Chas Mortimer school in the early 80's. The tuition was unbelieveable, and I realised my limitations very quickly indeed, which is probably the most valuable part of the training!. Like FL I too found that I was not a born racer on a bike, then a tear or too later I did a car session at Brands Hatch, and despite not haveing passed my test, and not having a family car practise in, was within the top two or three in the car class with regular drivers!..... couldnt afford the car racing though, and tried to win a scholarship but came 6th at the Jim Russell school try out, again against regular drivers of road and race cars. That too was a brilliant school, and I was instructed by Andy Wallace, and at Brands by Gary Brabham.... Even going for one day you learn so much about car and bike control at these schools they are worth the relatively expensive price tag!

Sedbergh
15th Mar 2005, 11:35
Reminds me of a nursey friend who used to go to work on a Honda 50

It died on her one morning and she was stuck by the roadside

Enter a leather clad gorilla on huge black bike, who bore down on her, knuckles dragging on the road

"Ullo darlin', wossarmarra then?"
"I don't know, it just stopped"

Gorilla got out toolkit & fixed little Honda

"Thanks ever so much"

"No problem darlin, us bikers got to stick togevver"

BOFH
15th Mar 2005, 13:10
Harley toolkit?

A half brick.

BOFH

(also works on computers and their users)

feet dry
15th Mar 2005, 14:11
My pride and joy is my beautiful black kawasaki zx7r.

Have to agree with all regarding track days also. What annoys me though is the first trackday I did (many years ago at Lydden Hill) cost 30 for 5x20 minute sessions, compared to the cost of a typical trackday today but ho hum, once you have the bug etc etc etc

chin up, knee down!!

ck4707
15th Mar 2005, 14:30
Got a 1978 Triumph Bonneville 750 in my garage.

Also two mates and myself looking at a SUZUKI
GSR 1300 to run as a drag bike.

CK

SuperOwl
15th Mar 2005, 17:30
I'm hoping to go to Ron Haslam's race school at Donington Park this year as I've seen some very good reviews about it. Last time I was at Donington was during last years MotoGP which although I know Valentino Rossi won, I was a little bit worse for wear so I don't have very clear memories of it so it was a good job that I caught the coach to East Midlands that weekend. What I do know is that I had a ball and met some great characters.

Had an interesting journey to work today for which I wore my white helmet and my high-viz jacket which had the result of standing traffic parting like the Red Sea. It was great!

Tarnished
15th Mar 2005, 18:56
Triumph Rocket III, all 2300cc of it:D :ok:

bubba zanetti
15th Mar 2005, 19:05
Take your 2300cc and go ride here ... :}
http://img112.exs.cx/img112/9629/lonelyroad39em.jpg

fleigle
16th Mar 2005, 00:15
My brother has done Haslams course a couple of times at Donington, had a great time, I'd love to but its a long way from here,
I ride a BMW R850R, a Kawasaki Concours (VTR) and have a "Grumph" dirt bike.
Guesses anybody????

dropthecheese
16th Mar 2005, 01:03
Currently have 4 bikes, 1989 FZR 400, 96 FZR 600 commuter, an 02' 600 F4, and a '96 XR100 pit bike. About to buy a house so I might have to get rid of a few of them. Don't think I'll ever be able to part with my little 400 though. Bought it for $3,000 then probably put $30,000 into it and can probably still only sell it for $3,000. But 6 years of racing it was completely worth it.

http://www.dropthecheese.com/albums/Racing/may3035.jpg

AntiCrash
16th Mar 2005, 02:40
Had a MotoGuzzi Ambasador and traded it for a two man wet sub.
How sick is that?:uhoh:

Hay Ewe
16th Mar 2005, 02:53
yeah, I nearly have two bikes at the moment.

My first bike in the UK was a Husqvarna TE410E, loved it, I took delivery about three days before the whole of the UK was closed cos of foot and mouth, 6 months saving and getting the training and no where to ride :(

Now I am some where else (the front paddock) and have 1980 honda XL500S twin shocks on the rear - sounds old but goes well.

Next I am taking delivery of a BMW1150GS, wanted one for years and now have splashed out and paid up yesterday. coming from a dealer a few miles away so wont be here till next week, just in time for easter!!!

Hay Ewe - go tear up the front paddock!!

Mirkin About
16th Mar 2005, 03:00
CBR1100XX Blackbird for the road , CBR1000RR Fireblade for the track and a NS400R in the shed as a restoration project.
I like Hondas , but I couldn't eat a whole one.

Dog Driver
16th Mar 2005, 03:27
Still driving my '79 GS-1000-S. Had her for over 25 years now.... Funny I remember that but can't remember how long I've been married.....