PDA

View Full Version : Pprune League Tables

JW411
14th Mar 2005, 14:59
I wonder if any BA managers bother to read pprune?

I have just noticed that as of now BA have cornered the top four places in the bitch tables.

Poor old Ryanair have been pushed into 5th place. MOL should be ashamed of himself!

Rainboe
14th Mar 2005, 15:01
Well considering it's largely you that is making trouble, and you appear to have a pronounced chip on your shoulder about BA, it's not so surprising is it?

Rejection must hurt.

JW411
14th Mar 2005, 15:17
Why is that every time anyone has a point of view that does not follow the BA party line the pathetic "you must have been rejected" cry comes up.

If you had done your research you would have seen that I was accepted for BOAC when I was a young man and was due to become a Hamster when I decided to do something else.

I have no regrets and continue to make a very good living in aviation.

I reckon I have made more money than I would have done with BA and will fairly soon retire on a very nice final salary scheme pension.

One thing for sure is that I have had a hell of a lot more fun in my flying career than I would have had.

Just try to accept that others might have a different point of view than you do and are perfectly entitled to hold that view.

I have been around aeroplanes for a long time now and I am very definitely still learning. Are you?

If it makes you feel any better, some of my questioning of BA's methods comes from being ex-Laker.

However, since you don't even remember BA operating DC-10s (which they did for 11 years), I can't expect you to remember the Laker scandal.

Tinpot Radio
14th Mar 2005, 15:28
Good point, well made (and I don't fly anything - it's more fun telling you boys and girls what to do!)

HZ123
14th Mar 2005, 17:22
How far can we go back must we like politicians apologise for Sir Freds demise. Were we guilty for his failure out of MAN using the Tristar, Lakers demise was not merely due to BA, the conspiracy if one could prove it goes much deeper.

JW411
14th Mar 2005, 17:30
I think your historical knowledge is about as good as your colleague.

Fred Laker absolutely never ever operated Tristars. He had more sense.

I do, however, have many happy memories of operating the DC-10 out of Manchester.

The Manchester-based girls were, without doubt, the most hardworking girls I have ever met and they were also the very best when it came to having fun.

Rainboe
14th Mar 2005, 17:35
Oh my God- I'm guilty of putting Laker out of business now! I seem to remember he went and bought loads of widebodies without any routes to fly them!

hobie
14th Mar 2005, 17:43
Fred Laker absolutely never ever operated Tristars
Bless you JW for correcting on that one .... I was beginning to think the old memory was going :bored:

Laker used to bring the DC10's out to our local strip for training .... seems a long time ago :8

skywaytoheaven
14th Mar 2005, 22:23
Tristar was a superb aeroplane, far better safety record than the Douglas version!

JW411
15th Mar 2005, 08:37
You are quite right, the Tristar was/is a superb aircraft but it could only do 5 hours with maximum payload. In fact, it was probably the most comfortable crew transport ever built.

No way could it hack LON - LAX with a full load non-stop like the DC-10-30.

IB4138
15th Mar 2005, 18:43
Ah, but the early Laker machines were DC10-10's. Many happy memories of the 3 of them at Manchester. They actually passed to British Caledonian for IT work and then CalAir.
Isn't one still flying for Orbis, as a mobile eye laser unit?

BTW several of the "widebodies" refered to, both DC10's and A310's, were ordered but not delivered to Laker.

JW411
15th Mar 2005, 19:51
We had 6 DC-10-10s actually. G-BELO was the 2nd DC-10 on the production line but was the first one to fly and became the McDonnell Douglas demonstrator. She is indeed now the Project Orbis flying eye hospital.

5 DC-10-30s followed and all ordered DC-10s were delivered.

Laker never had any A310s. We did however take delivery of 3 A300B4s out of an order of 10.

Airbus Industries were threatening to cancel the Airbus wing contract at Chester for no British company would order an Airbus (Air France, Lufthansa, Iberia and all the other partners had them).

Maggie Thatcher persuaded Fred to order 10 and promised him loads of European routes in return. It was the worst thing he ever did for she never got him a single one and he was left holding the baby!

flyingdutchman
16th Mar 2005, 17:09
piccies (http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?airlinesearch=Laker%20Airways%20Skytrain&distinct_entry=true)

JW411
16th Mar 2005, 20:56
Thanks for those - Oh Happy Daze!