PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with this picture?

SecurID
14th Mar 2005, 13:50
From the Flight International jobs pages:

Job title Captain A330/A340
Region Abu Dhabi
Company Etihad Airways
Date posted Thursday 24 February 2005
Salary Basic Salary $5300 to $6700 + Benefits

Job title Floatplane Pilot
Region Scotland
Company Loch Lomond Seaplanes
Date posted Wednesday 9 March 2005
Salary USD 5-6,000 per month depending on experience

ManaAdaSystem
14th Mar 2005, 15:08
Indians and Malaysians don't fly Floatplanes?

YYZ
14th Mar 2005, 15:30
I think the Flight advert should be for an F/O? Possibly worded wrong?

YYZ

stuck-in-the-sand
14th Mar 2005, 15:33
I like your attitude.....however stand by to hear from those that don't!

The reality is that you actually need some "hands and feet" skills to fly floats........to fly airliners you only need to;
1 wear your hat
2 memorize the rule book, and
3 smile politely to anybody in Management......

Check 'Six'
14th Mar 2005, 15:42
Stuck in the sand, you forgot to mention point no 4. "The abilitiy to bend over and take it!"

VeniVidiVici
14th Mar 2005, 22:04
It appears that you not only enjoy bending over but DESERVE it too. Carry on Check 'Six':ok:

Fox3snapshot
14th Mar 2005, 23:18
mmmmm....but what about tax for the Scottish Loch Ness Monster hunting job, does that not throw it back into perspective????!

:ooh:

stuck-in-the-sand
15th Mar 2005, 05:07
Considering the portion that WE have to pay for school fees here in the promised land...taxes don't seem that much different! :ouch:

Rieke
15th Mar 2005, 05:19
Be aware of them-they are well known of their behavior!

donpizmeov
15th Mar 2005, 05:25
VVV shouldn't you be off having another practice interview somewhere for personnal enlightenment? I am sure the next one will go a lot better than the one at QR. Must keep the chin up!!
You are not related to that fella who visits here by the name of Albatros are you?

Don

ironbutt57
15th Mar 2005, 07:33
What's wrong with the picture ....is the EY advert doesn't show the whole picture....that salary reflects what u would make if u were on leave, and didn't operate any flights..(without the housing allowance that you DO get while on leave)....so take that figure and add around 60% to it, and that's what you'll get flying a norm sked...plus benefits....better than them showing some inflated nonsense and folks joining being pissed off after they do.....:cool:

airbus34065
16th Mar 2005, 10:34
You are right it doesn't show the whole picture. a starting capt. will make a base of about $5400 US. And that is ALL you will make while on leave, which is about 42 days or about 2 months work. You will get $192 US for every day worked, from 14 days to about 20 days a month. So you are down to 10 months of "real" income a year. And yes, they will not make you move out out of your "subsidized" housing while on leave but you must continue to pay for it, which will be anywhere from $2800 to $8200 US a year. And they forgot to mention that you have to pay utilities, loss of license, subsidize you regular medical, no sick days, no transport to and from work (like Emirates has, i know i know Etihad is not Emirates) , pay for your own hotel while on simulator, no retirement scheme (provident fund) , and absolutely NO job security.

Those are the facts.

fractional
16th Mar 2005, 16:53
Other posts here said it all. No one should get illusioned that things will get any better. See previous posts on Etihad. What's wrong with the picture?
Pilots applications must be going in by the hundreds if not thousands. There are a lot of B777, A332 or even the A340 pilots ready to come in for what it is right now. Airlines keep going bust...
According to press reports, the problem is aircraft availability, and this may slow down start-ups.
Etihad is a secured job as long as you accept their "ground rules". Emirates are in a different league even if some think their package is crap. Grass always looks greener next door...
It's obvious there will be more DEC at Eithad when the B777s are introduced in teh fleet and the switch Right-Left on A330s will now take much longer than what's this year. It may take a couple of years or more.
It is good to point out the truth but all must know that the package won't get any better. Remember the market golden rules. The pilot demand is there but this is overcome the offer available and it's overwhelming. Etihad is handpicking by now and rubbing thier hands... From what I'm gathering it's really becoming a UN airline, but the "Security Council" is untouched.
Keep discovering or see how they shine!!!