PDA

View Full Version : Petrol Prices

Navajo8686
14th Mar 2005, 14:29
How can it be?

This is not a moan about prices but about the pricing!

All British garages manage to sell petrol/diesel/gas at prices that always end in point nine of a penny (i.e 79.9p per litre).

Why? How can they get away with it? They will not accept .9 of a penny in payment because it does not exist as a coin of the realm? If every litre sold gives them the extra .1p then no wonder they make so much f:mad: profit.

Not a cartel of course but they all do it - including the supermarkets! It does not matter if it's a franchised garage or a subsidary they all do it.

:(

Onan the Clumsy
14th Mar 2005, 14:31
Not really an issue when pricing in gallons, but in litres, yes, it's a significant, hidden expense.

Mariner9
14th Mar 2005, 14:52
A simple solution would be then for every garage in the UK to increase prices by 0.1p. Problem solved. No more fleecing by greedy oil companies.

(Except that we'd all have to pay more for our petrol, and greedy oil companies profits would go up)

Keef
14th Mar 2005, 15:25
I bet the pump counts in those fractions of a penny. Stop at exactly 10L at 72.9 p and see if it says 7.29.

I just fill mine up and pay what the meter says. At least it counts in fractions of a litre. Most bowsers I know count in whole litres only.

lexxity
14th Mar 2005, 16:33
Bit of a thread hijack, but did anyone else see that Herr Brown would be freezing fuel duty in his next budget, general election coming up?

Sorry about that. Back to the topic in hand.

Rwy in Sight
14th Mar 2005, 17:11
Why not buy in round sum (ex. 10 GBP or 10 Euros) and ignore the volume aspect? What's the point of bying 10 liters or 3 gallons if you end up with more coins than you can handle?

RiS

flowman
14th Mar 2005, 21:16
Such a nice man that Mr. Brown. How kind of him to freeze such a massive tax, no doubt he remembers how unpopular it made him the last time he tried to milk the motorists.
I suppose he didn't mention that he's thinking about taxing capital gain on primary residences.:suspect:
Oh go on, let's hijack the thread:E

airship
14th Mar 2005, 21:27
The proletariat rarely reclaim daily wage increases. And when they do, it is hardly for more than a few percent a year. So how come companies are allowed to raise prices every other day? We should have a new common law: no more than 2 increases per annum, limited to under 2% each time... :8

Onan the Clumsy
14th Mar 2005, 21:34
Other little tricks that greedy petrol station owners use...

(1) with the pay ahead method "I'll have ten pounds on number five please" the pump will get to 9.90 and then slow to a glacial pace. You're supposed to say "Oh it's only a florrin, I can't be @rsed to wait" and hang up the pump. Only ten pee maybe, but times a hundred? :*

(2) they mix the grades around, so instead of looking at three buttons and them being a logical cheap -> middle -> expensive (cheap being relative of course), they might say expensive -> cheap -> middle in the hope that you'll just hit the button on the left, because it's what you would do if it wasn't a greedy [email protected]@rd that set up the pump.

:* :*

Skylark4
15th Mar 2005, 00:36
Onan,
Most pumps here in the UK run
"Cheap, Expensive, Diesel" So you tend to look at them a bit more carefully than you would seem to.

Mike W

Don't Tell Him Pike
15th Mar 2005, 02:01
Surely you mean "Expensive, :mad: Expensive, Diesel"

And why's diesel so expensive? That extra 1p/litre is now 5p!!

Blacksheep
15th Mar 2005, 03:15
We have yellow, green and red buttons over here. So, you tell the attendant "Hijau" (Green) when they ask what you want and "Penoh" (Full) when they ask how much. Then they fill the tank right up to the top and ask for say, seventeen dollars, if your tank were nearly dry - five pounds thirty seven pence or about ten bucks to our transatlantic cousins. Good 'ere, innit?

They even put the cap back on before they close the flap

- if you're lucky. (What do you suppose they do with all those caps they collect?)

Squawk7777
15th Mar 2005, 05:17
I remember that some petrol stations in Germany posted their prices with .4 or .1 after the introduction of the Euro. It only took a week or so for those numbers to mutate into a 9.

7 7 7 7

ATNotts
15th Mar 2005, 09:05
Driving around France and Germany (can't speak for anywhere else) it seems to me as though there is a much greater differential in fule prices between neighbouring petrol stations than there is in the UK.

Is this just a false impression that I am getting, or is there actually more competition in fule pricing than in UK.

Dylsexlic
15th Mar 2005, 09:37
1. Diesel is the "first cut" of the fuel and has relatively little processing. It's expensive because diesel vehicles go further on the same quantity than most petrol cars and therefore sales are lower. Plus, of course, greedy fuel companies make a bigger profit on diesel!

2. Has anyone else noticed that the price of fuel always rises a couple of weeks before either a main school holiday or a national holiday? Easter just coming, fuel prices rising. Just wait until July and watch the same thing happen again.

3. Why don't fuel companies advertise the price as "22.9p plus tax" like my garage does for servicing (Full Service: 90 plus VAT and parts) or tradesmen do for their services (new roof guv? That'll be 50 quid plus materials plus labour plus VAT - around 2,500 quid all up then).

4. I went to my local garage and started to put the expensive unleaded in by mistake - about 1.5 litres. I replaced the nozzle and then filled up with the normal unleaded. When they asked for the money for the 1.5 litres, I pointed out that the pump had a notice saying "Not to be used for deliveries of less than two litres" and refused to pay. They had to accept!

TIP: visit every garage and put 1.5 litres in each time - free fuel! Bit of a drag though.

5. Don't you just love those signs that say "Your car registration is being recorded on CCTV for security purposes". Now, try asking for the cashier to write their name on your receipt, if you pay by card. If they query this, tell them they've got your registration to protect themselves and this is your way of protecting your account against fraudulent withdrawals. They really get upset!

Can't think of any more.

Paranoid Parrot
15th Mar 2005, 15:06
Dyldo,

The reason that diesel is more expensive is because it is also sold to households for heating fuel and is used extensively by lorries and buses. With petrol it is mainly car drivers who use it and therefore much more diesel is sold - not less. Car drivers therefore have more leverage on the price. Heating fuel is of course not sold with the exhorbitant fuel duty.

That was the reason given to me when I enquired of the RAC (Edmund King).

Mariner9
15th Mar 2005, 15:23
I know rumours, urban myths and half truths are the preferred data source in JB, :ok:

but here are a few facts for those interested.

:8 :8

1. Diesel production and price.
Diesel is certainly not the "1st cut" of the fuel. It is true that most diesel feedstocks are initially produced from the straight-run distillation process (ie the 1st main crude process after stabilisation and desalting). However a significant proportion of other diesel blendstocks are made in secondary processes such as vac distillation & vis breaking, catalytic cracking etc.

As a result of recent EEC legislation reducing max sulphur contents, some or all of the blendstocks then require hydrotreatment to reduce sulphur content. The various diesel blendstocks (which will also include kerosene) are then blended together to produce the diesel. Sometimes, particularly in winter, additives have also to be added to the blend to improve cold weather properties.

The current average traded price for EN590 (European road diesel) is $508 per tonne. The average traded price for EN228 (95 RON motor gasoline) is $433.

2. Prices and school holidays
It is true that prices can rise just before and during holidays. However petrol, diesel etc are traded commodities, and like everything else, the price is dependant on supply and demand. The oil companies could not get away with unilaterally raising prices, the public would simply fill up at supermarkets.
A far greater major factor (in the price of diesel at least) is the weather. Demand rises hugely in and after a cold snap in USA &/or Europe, diesel price was only $450 per tonne on three weeks ago, so the recent cold weather resulted in an increase of $58/ton. Whereas the price of gasoline on that day was $439, so you can see the price of this has fallen $6 in the same period.

:8 :8

M9

cortilla
15th Mar 2005, 16:51
Just a quickie then,

Why is it that diesel is cheaper than unleaded in the continent?? (and sometimes by quite a significant margin)

Bre901
15th Mar 2005, 17:05
diesel is cheaper than unleaded in the continent
On this part of the continent it is just because of lower taxes (0.2 /l on average). The thing started initially as hidden subsidies to Messrs Peugeot who started very early producing diesel engines when their competitors had none (except Mercedes)

Hence, the market share of diesel cars is now slightly below 50% and growing steadily, as 7 in 10 cars sold in Froggyland are diesels (as of july 2004).

The government has started increasing the taxes on diesel slightly faster than on unleaded, in order to bridge that gap.

Mariner9
16th Mar 2005, 10:12
Yep, all to do with taxes imposed by the various governments.

The EC plans eventually to harmonise fuel (and indeed all) taxes throughout Europe. (probably at a higher level than the current average).

Wonder what the UK fuel protesters will make of it, their fuel taxes coming down, but income taxes going up :suspect:

Dylsexlic
16th Mar 2005, 10:36
"Wonder what the UK fuel protesters will make of it, their fuel taxes coming down, but income taxes going up "

Hmmmm. As fuel protesters they will be very happy. As Income Tax protesters, very unhappy but that's not their cause.

Lets face it, all governments give with one hand and take away (generally significantly more) with the other hand.

What bugs me is that for all the money I pay like a good boy - Income tax, National Insurance, VAT, household fuel tax, motor fuel tax, duty on booze tax, Road Fund Licence tax, insurance premium tax, TV Licence tax, Council Tax, tax on savings and even tax on tax, I never get a bloody Christmas Card from them.

Now that's no way to treat one of their best customers.