PDA

View Full Version : Bulgarian Cargo Plane Crashes in Baghdad

rotornut
14th Mar 2005, 11:05
Bulgarian Cargo Plane Crashes in Baghdad
2005-03-11

An An-12 plane of private Bulgarian cargo charter airline Vega Airlines crashed upon landing at a Baghdad airport March 9, the head of the air company announced two days later.

No injuries were reported, but the crash caused considerable damages to the plane's right wing and one of its engines.

While landing the four-propeller aircraft was tipped by the strong wind and touched the runway with its wing.

The plane flew only with its seven-member crew on board and carried construction materials.

An An-12 plane of Vega Airlines suffered a landing accident on October 10, 2002 after taking off from Sweden. The accident caused no injuries or damage, but the captain failed to alert the airport authorities of any emergency, as he is required to do by the international ordinance on airport security and safety.

Vega Airlines was one of the bidders in the privatisation of air carrier Hemus Air in 2001. The company is registered in 1997.

Experts say Baghdad airport does not offer appropriate conditions for landing of cargo planes.

novinite.com

Frangible
14th Mar 2005, 12:44
I believe that, though not a corkscrew as such, civilian planes have to make pretty extreme banks to stay inside the zone judged as secure, if not safe, on TO and landing. Maybe this had something to do with the AN12's problem.

Dylsexlic
15th Mar 2005, 07:43
"Experts say Baghdad airport does not offer appropriate conditions for landing of cargo planes"

There are numerous companies flying cargo into Baghdad and whilst it requires all the skills of a modern pilot, it is achievable.

This statement is wholly inappropriate as there is no clue to what, exactly, is appropriate. Why just cargo planes? Surely this would apply to ANY plane?

Maurice Chavez
17th Mar 2005, 08:33
Experts say Baghdad airport does not offer appropriate conditions for landing of cargo planes.

I flew in and out of Bagdad, Mosul and Balad last year myself with a DC-8-62. We did it for about 6 months. Never had a problem there. Runways are nice and long, except for Mosul. Stick to the 15000' over head corkscrew approach, stay with the 5Nm airport radius and you're fine. I can't see why Baghdad doesn't offer appropriate conditions for cargo planes. As a matter of fact Baghdad has a big cargo ramp for freighters, I think it was called Kilo ramp......This accident sounds more like a strong x-wind error. I remember flying into Balad one day having winds 30 degrees of runway centerline blowing 35 gusting to 49 knots, it get's pretty windy there....

VP8
17th Mar 2005, 18:31
There's no probs with the AN22/124/225 going into Baghdad or any of the other airfields, been doing it on a regular basis!!

VEEPS

aerotransport.org
18th Mar 2005, 01:53
Aircraft made its approach on good runway, but wrong QFU ..

I have uploaded a picture at:

http://aerotransport.free.fr/Zmisc/LZ-VEC/AN-12%20LZ-VEC.JPG

Alexandre.
AeroTransport Data Bank
http://www.aerotransport.org

Fox3snapshot
18th Mar 2005, 18:39
Yup, spot on. They operate from UAE to Baggers and surrounds very regurlarly now.

I suspect he was just having a bad day.

:\