PDA

View Full Version : Authority of an Adjutant

donald stott
13th Mar 2005, 19:14
After listening to a conversation between a number of "old grumblies" in the crewroom, regarding the role of the Stn/Sqn Adjt; it became apparent that many years ago the Adjutant was an individual of some responsibility (and authority). Sadly, it seems, that has changed now and the Adjt appears to be the individual that catches all the jobs nobody wants to do and gives out bad news in the form of Orderly Officer duties and parade duties etc.

Was it any different pre 1990s?

Art Field
13th Mar 2005, 19:33
It certainly was. The Stn Adj was the Station Commander's right hand man. Yes he produced the SDO and Orderly Officer lists but he was, if you like, the officers equivalent of the SWO and would make his presense felt if junior officers came to his notice. He produced Station Routine Orders, accompanied the CO on weekly inspections and with the SWO was responsible for the day to day routine of the station. Usually Flt Lt GD, often of some seniority, he was not a man to cross.

JessTheDog
13th Mar 2005, 20:04
Now it tends to be "OC GD" and the first job that a newly-commissioned scribbly picks up. Very different from the Army where it is a captain with some time in.

Cambridge Crash
13th Mar 2005, 21:16
In the grand little RNZAF, up until the early 1990s, the Adjutant was a grounded GD officer, generally of considerable antiquity. In the absence of legal/p1 specilaists, the Adj was the font of all AFDA matters, and organised courts martial. He was also the Ground Defence Officer, Base Sy O, dep Ops O and Flt cdr for the firemen, police and on occasions the COMCEN. He was also a Sqn Ldr. I back filled for several months shortly after my promotion to Flt Lt (yes, after passing my B exams), and was promptly made up to Sqn Ldr for that time. Having subsequnetly done time on tx to the RAF as an OCGD flt, I found my position in the pecking order to be, well, rather low.

CC

allan907
14th Mar 2005, 01:16
OC Admin used to be a GD post as was the Adj. Then the 'new' breed of aviator decided that was all too much because they preferred to fly and swan around in grow bags instead.

Result? Promotion to Gp Capt, made Stn Cdr, only admin/generalist experience is on a dodgy out-of-the-way squadron or pseudo flying unit somewhere and the whole admin effort can go for a bag of rat-****. I know I worked for 2 of them.

And before the inevitable 'incoming' please remember that 'administration' IS one of the principles of war.

5 Forward 6 Back
14th Mar 2005, 15:13
And before the inevitable 'incoming' please remember that 'administration' IS one of the principles of war.

Selection and maintenance of the aim, concentration of effect, offensive action, cooperation, security, surprise, flexibility, economy of effort, sustainment, maintenance of morale.

Don't see it in there ;) :D

Always_broken_in_wilts
14th Mar 2005, 15:47
"Don't see it in there"...............well you would'nt would you:ok:

All your chosen descriptors imply action...............and how often would you link "administration" to action.........in my 30 years NEVER:E after all it's not called "handbrake house" without good reason:rolleyes:

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

jindabyne
14th Mar 2005, 17:16
allan

Certainly used to be in - without it (decent op orders, logistic plans etc) most operations would surely fail. IMHO, abiw, sound admin always goes hand-in-hand with 'action'.

Spacer
14th Mar 2005, 19:36
5Fwd - Well remembered! :8 How's the flying?

allan907
15th Mar 2005, 00:52
Well, it were certainly in when I done ISS! Perhaps the 'grow bags' took it out just in case they ever got joed for any!