PDA

View Full Version : QF Flight Crew Basings-Singapore

QFinsider
13th Mar 2005, 18:49
Yes despite being in a period of enterprise bargaining where one of the issues on the table was the basing of
second officers in Singapore, the esteemed leader CP has told a bunch of new recruits that they will be part of the last group to be based in Australia. From next intake onwards TSO/PUITS whatever the name this week will be shovelled up to singapore, at their own expense!

No negotiation, no compensation (even cabin crew got that with the london base) no nothing.

Recently in communication from AIPA it stated that any effort to represent all pilot bodies within the group would be vigorously opposed by the company. They don't seem to want meaningful dialogue. It would seem the only strategy they will follow is that which continually fragment any loyalty the tech crew, cabin crew, baggage handlers, engineers....

These actions driven by the likes of Oldmeadow and his ilk will do nothing to assist resist the hordes to the north when they get access to the lucrative routes.
People are the key, most of us understand the business imperative. Develop and strengthen the business, prepare your people and company to prosper. Give your frontline troops the resources to do what they do best... Strengthen the resolve of all against invaders not dilute it..

:mad:

I guess the markets are catching on to the lack of strategic planning at QF. Hence despite record profits the price of the stock keeps trading in that massive 10cent band:E

VH-Cheer Up
13th Mar 2005, 20:40
If only Dixon read pprune!

Erm... wouldn't he have to care, first?

schnauzer
13th Mar 2005, 20:54
There are plenty of savings there, biccy thrower. We currently either operate or pax up second officers to Singas'. We generally only need one second officer on the Oz to Singapore leg, then two on the leg up to Europe.

Therefore, if we have SO's based up there, then they will do all of the Europe stuff without the extra leg from Oz. And if they don't pay any relocation expenses etc, well, they are laughing!

Dicko has just saved plenty....

Chief Chook
13th Mar 2005, 21:35
We generally only need one second officer on the Oz to Singapore leg Why would you need an s/o as well as captain and f/o on a 8 or 9 hour leg?
Sounds like Dicko can still save a heap more by cutting down on overstaffing.

Mr. Boeing
13th Mar 2005, 21:58
Probably because the CAO's say you need one.

jakethemuss
13th Mar 2005, 22:51
3 Pilots lets you run to 40 in 7 as opposed to 30 in 7.

They would need this to be able to operate.

QFInsider, what is your source that can confirm that this statement was made?

Wizofoz
13th Mar 2005, 23:16
jake,

Probably the same source that had you insisting that Jetstar would be crewed by QF Mainline!

*Lancer*
14th Mar 2005, 00:39
There are 3 flights a day to Europe via singapore (QF5/9/31), that operate generally with 4 crew with one of those crew effectively positioning the first sector to SIN. By basing as many S/Os in SIN as possible, the utilisation efficiency increases.

In actual cost, the savings would be about $1mil pa.

It's perfectly understandable that the company is seeking cost reduction and efficiency, but the plans as presently rumoured seem desperately unfortunate.

jakethemuss
14th Mar 2005, 02:15
Wiz,

It is.

And there will be alot more in the future if the Price is Right. It's about opportunity, and opportunity we have.

Chief Chook
14th Mar 2005, 04:13
SQ operates with only 2 pilots on the SIN-AUS legs (are you reading this Geoffrey?).

HEALY
14th Mar 2005, 04:46
With the idea of relocation at YOUR OWN EXPENSE, does this mean own travel costs to and fro as req'd early in the piece to get yourself organised and nothing in the way of being pointed in the right direction for such things as accomodation?

I am unfirmiliar as to wether or not this is the case already however.

And lastly will this only apply to 400 crews and not A330.

The_Cutest_of_Borg
14th Mar 2005, 05:04
Chief Chook.... so does QF.

The -400 is a special case because of the requirement for SO's AFTER SIN on the way up to Europe. So they operate instead of filling a P or J class seat. In fact QF does THAT leg cheaper than SQ, having a crew of one Captain, one F/O and two S/O's instead of two Captains and two F/O's...

You still want Geoffrey listening?

QFinsider
14th Mar 2005, 05:28
The source is one of the new recruits, who was told by the CP that their course was either the last or second last to be based in
Australia.

As Borg said we do the sin-lhr or fra very competively! but that aint the real point...The accomodation and everything necessary to get your self squared away in WSSS is to be borne by the applicant. The AIPA SGM made reference to it..The company can do it, so they reckon, methinks they are gunna overcook the goodwill. It is dead in the water. These smartasses don't get what actually is undertaken to get passengers to their destination, safely and close to schedule. The CAO 48 is a powerful tool. It aint about the salary it is respect...MEL's require increasing attention particularly as lots of items are on hold!

I wonder how CM sleeps, prolly like mr dixon, between silk sheets and very comfortably.:ugh:

Oh and by the way Biscuit Chucker i wasnt making reference to the status of cabin crew. Unfortunately langauge is a poor medium. What I meant was that your collegaues were offfered an incentive to go to london..don't tell me you didn't know Ive seen the offer!

OBNO
14th Mar 2005, 06:06
I would suggest any QF applicants start asking the questions of Qantas NOW on what if any benefits apply to the Singapore basings. It would be a bit stiff being sent a letter congratulating you on your job then, oh by the way you will be based in Singapore for 2 years. I'm sure those with families will need to do a fair bit of research and will have some big decisions to make depending upon the conditions offered. These conditions (if any?!) should/must be made available to applicants prior to rocking up on Day 1.

Just checked QF website, nothing written on the Employement section for Pilots regarding Singapore basings - yet!?

Sunrise
14th Mar 2005, 07:41
OBNO I've been told Qantas has been ringing up new Cabin Crew to congratulate them on being successful in getting a job with QF, then in the next breath they are told the job is based in New Zealand.
And the conditions are?????? You guessed it......lousy!

lambsie
14th Mar 2005, 09:09
Perhaps the new recruits will be SIN locals...at half the pay.

kmagyoyo
5th Apr 2005, 06:52
Just wondering if there has been any developments with this t/rumour?

While I am asking, why does Qantas not tell new hires what type they're on until they start (is it a secret or something??)

Thanks

OBNO
5th Apr 2005, 07:14
Qantas apparently used to tell people what aircraft they were assigned to prior to Day 1. But there were some occasions when people were assigned to B767 or the Classic and they then became "unavailable" for that start date to try and get another start date on to the 747-400 - SO the story goes any way. It is commonly known as the "Day 1 Lottery". Why did they do this? The B767 is paid an hourly rate less than Classic, Airbus and -400. The Classic has an hourly rate less than Airbus and -400 and a 6 month conversion compared to about a 3 month conversion on other types. Pay on conversion is bu**** all. Classic and 767 get little overtime -400 gets lots. It all comes down to money.