PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Express

the_grand_dad
13th Mar 2005, 16:37
Incidently tendering a false instrument (forged document) purporting to have been made in a form that it had not been made to the detriment of another was an still is a criminal offence. So how come the investigating Officer pretend they dont know it when it comes to carrying out investigations into complaints?

Sunday Express

March 6, 2005

SECTION: U.K. 1st Edition; NEWS; Pg. 6, 8

LENGTH: 1424 words

HEADLINE: SHOCKING CASE OF THE TOP-CLASS PARA WHO SAYS SENIOR OFFICERS WAGED A RELENTLESS CAMPAIGN TO FORCE HIM OUT OF THE ARMY

BYLINE: By Tim Shipman Defence Editor

BODY:
TONY BLAIR has been briefed about a court case that threatens to rock the Army with new claims about systematic bullying by some of its senior officers.

Defence chiefs were so worried by the explosive allegations - which also accuse a brigadier of fraud - they were forced to provide the Prime Minister with a full report in case he faced questions in the House of Commons.

E-mails between press officials in the Ministry of Defence show that Mr Blair was warned that Corporal Paul Biddiss of the Parachute Regiment was threatening to expose what he says is a coverup of vindictive behaviour he blames for the plight of his disabled son Chandler.

Last week Corporal Biddiss launched a case in the High Court that could lead to hundreds of lawsuits from soldiers who claim they have been mistreated.

The 18-page court papers, obtained by the Sunday Express, expose a catalogue of alleged abuse which, if proved, will lead to an overhaul of the Army's complaints procedures, already under fire after complaints from the families of recruits who died at Deepcut barracks.

Paul's problems began in autumn 1999. At that time he had served in the Army for 11 years and the court papers say "he had recently been accepted for SAS selection by his Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Colonel Kennett" who is now a brigadier.

Paul, 36, had been rated among the top third of lance corporals in his platoon that July. Life was good and his wife Debbie, who is now 39, was due to have her fifth child in January 2000.

But Debbie had a history of premature births and had lost another baby a year earlier. The couple's midwife wrote to Lieutenant Colonel Kennett, before he was promoted to brigadier, warning him that Paul's wife would have no one to help her if she went into hospital because her husband had been posted to Northern Ireland.

But, it is alleged, instead of helping him another superior officer, a Major Nott, had told Paul he would be subject to a process called manning control.

This is used to discharge "failing" soldiers after 12 years' service. Critics say it is a cost-cutting measure to save the expense of service pensions.

Paul was amazed that Nott had apparently failed to follow the rules which say he should be warned a year in advance that he would be subject to manning control.

The court papers say: "Major Nott did not provide Paul with a mandatory warning required. Neither was he interviewed, which is a further requirement of the above procedure. He was instructed to sign a new "S type" employment contract, or he would be made to leave, which effectively gave him only a further three years in the armed forces. Paul refused to sign this document. His application to see his Commanding Officer Kennett was denied.

"Major Nott made repeated attempts to get Paul to sign this documentation but he continued to refuse."

Paul, now worried for Debbie's health, asked for his Northern Ireland, posting to be shelved. Nott finally agreed to this on December 3 1999. The next day Debbie went into labour. And Paul's life began to fall apart.

Chandler was born prematurely and was eventually allowed home but was still registered as a child at risk.

Paul was then sent back to Northern Ireland against advice given to the families officer, Captain R Parry. While away, Chandler contracted meningitis and became critically ill. He suffered severe disability including cerebral palsy, epilepsy and partial blindness.

But, the court papers say, Nott would not let Paul return home for four days, adding: "He used this period to exert even stronger pressure on Paul to sign the S-type agreement which would lead to his immediate return home."

In effect, Paul was being blackmailed - sign the document and you can see your son.

Debbie told the Sunday Express: "I was left alone. The Army were told that Chandler was a child at risk. The padre was told, the families officer was told, but they ignored the advice and left me with Chandler on my own, with four boys to look after, a mile-and-a-half from the nearest shops."

SHE ADDED: "The Army didn't do anything because they had another agenda.

When he was born they knew he was at risk. When he was admitted to hospital they knew he was ill and that I was depressed, but they didn't care."

Eventually, in February 2000 Paul was allowed compassionate leave for 10 months. But in a meeting with Kennett, matters took a sinister twist.

Kennett, the court papers say, produced a document to suggest that he interviewed Paul about manning control back in November 1999.

Paul claims he has proof that the format of that document was not in use until February - in effect that Kennett forged the document to hide the fact that the correct procedures had not been followed.

Paul appealed the decision to effectively end his Army career. In May 2000 he was reinstated, but he filed a formal complaint with the Army redress system. In December 2000 he was promoted to Corporal.

BUT JUSTICE in the Army is a slow process. This took four years and Paul was forced to initiate proceedings on three occasions. All the while Debbie was suffering from depression and the couple had to wrestle with Chandler's deteriorating health.

In January 2003, Paul and Debbie received a message of support from Prince Charles, the Colonel-in-Chief of the Parachute Regiment.

He wrote: "I wanted to write to send my heartfelt best wishes.

When I think of the dreadful ordeal that your small son Chandler has gone through in his short life, it brings seemingly important problems of one's own life firmly into perspective."

But to Paul, there appeared to be no sympathy from the Army. He said the redress system involved "no pro-active investigation".

It eventually found "some reservations on the length of time it took to repatriate Corporal Biddiss from Northern Ireland to his home", but cleared Nott, who then left the Army.

An investigation by the Army Board, which is also under scrutiny, "was slow and seemingly carried out without any urgency" say the filed court papers. Last October Paul's complaints were finally thrown out.

His claim seeks compensation, to overhaul the Army Board and the redress system and to outlaw manning control. It concludes:

"The actions of the armed forces and in particular Major Nott has caused his family and himself physical, mental and financial hardships.

"The harassment and bullying conducted by members of the armed forces in threatening an end to his career impacted upon the physical and mental condition of his son Chandler and the consequent illness suffered by his wife.

Instead of receiving support, Paul was victimised and attempts were made to foreshorten his career."

Debbie said: "I'm disgusted with the Army for the way they've treated me and my family. I gave up a career as a seamstress to be with Paul. I travelled away from my family to be with him and this is how the Army repay us.

"I am completely disgusted that they haven't got the guts and the moral courage to admit when they got it wrong. I am so proud of Paul because he has done something that other men wouldn't do and he has stuck with it. His friends and fellow soldiers didn't want to be seen talking to him because they feared it would effect their careers.

"If the Army could just give us a pill to make Chandler walk again we would go away tomorrow. The money has never been important, we just want them to admit they were wrong."

The Ministry of Defence issued a statement on behalf of Brigadier Kennett: "I cannot recall all of the details of Corporal Biddiss's case because it was nearly five years ago.

"However I do remember Corporal Biddiss faced very difficult family circumstances at the time, for which he has always had my utmost sympathy. The case has recently been reviewed again by a senior officer who was satisfied that there had been no wrongdoing on my part."

An MoD spokesman said: "The MoD is resisting the application for judicial review. The Army is satisfied that Corporal Biddiss's allegations have been thoroughly investigated on a number of occasions, " he said.

HEADDED: "The latest review by a senior officer did not find any wrongdoing on the part of Brigadier Kennett or on the part of anyone else."

Paul is now doing a desk job with 1 Para. He has paid out of his own pocket to employ barrister John Cooper, who is representing the Deepcut families and is taking a caseload of actions for mistreatment against the MoD.

captain sanity
13th Mar 2005, 16:56
Interesting, but this is a military aircrew forum, Maybe there are some army forums that this would be better suited to.
C.S.

the_grand_dad
13th Mar 2005, 17:31
all jumped out of Mil Aircraft:p

ChristopherRobin
13th Mar 2005, 17:51
Captain Sanity - why do you think Army Pilots aren't military aircrew? That would interest me!

the_grand_dad
13th Mar 2005, 18:21
If you need to know more on the subject click here

http://pages.123-reg.co.uk/eve3-37327/

Huron Topp
13th Mar 2005, 18:23
Robin,

nowhere did he state Army pilots aren't aircrew, only that the post would be better served elsewhere. Fact is, the story is about a jumper who got it up the hoop.:yuk:

SmilingKnifed
13th Mar 2005, 18:57
I'd still argue that it's of interest. The welfare system, to my knowledge, doesn't discriminate by branch/trade.

soddim
13th Mar 2005, 19:37
It's a military matter possibly exposing skullduggery at a very senior level so why shouldn't military aircrew and groundcrew be interested?

foldingwings
13th Mar 2005, 20:27
the grandad,

I think I am right in saying that, almost weekly, since you first emerged on PPRuNe, you place a thread taken from a Sunday paper that suggests unfair treatment of people in the Para Regt. What's your take? Are you military, legal, journo or a.n.other? Are you fishing for information either to support or to pillary the military?

Just asking.

Please let us know.

ChristopherRobin
13th Mar 2005, 21:20
sorry - I couldn't be bothered to read the actual article!

the_grand_dad
13th Mar 2005, 21:56
a.n.other

Im ex 2 Sqn who was crapped on the same as far as pensions was concerned. but not as extreme as this guy. however he has paved the way for us, so he gets my thumbs up:D

Safeware
14th Mar 2005, 18:57
the_grand_dad

Dares to ask, how did you get cr@pped on?

the_grand_dad
14th Mar 2005, 23:03
High winds about 28 knots. pure denial after. left in a wheelchair with nowt.

Jackonicko
15th Mar 2005, 00:47
Not football related, Gramps?

Vage Rot
15th Mar 2005, 08:46
Grand dad,

Utmost sympathy there, I refused to fly in the hurricane of '87 when the boss was harping on about it being 'straight down the strip' It was, but at about 45-60 Kts, well out of seat limits.

I refused to fly and got shat on after that! A short exit from FJ training and a career on multies! Still, was better in the end as I'd not have met the lovely Mrs Vage if I'd have carried on FJ - and she'd of hated me for being a FJ, chip-on-shoulder, tw4t - as she calls them!!