PDA

View Full Version : PPL in America?

Mattd
13th Mar 2005, 16:25
Hi all,

I'm looking at possibly getting my PPL soon, and I've heard that it's much cheaper to learn in America. Is this true? Just looking at a few UK webpages puts the PPL cost around £5000ish, where as America looks closer to $5000....seems to good to be true..

I also heard that PPLs gained in America, aren't valid in the UK without another test...is this correct?

Thanks,

Matt

Frank Furillo
13th Mar 2005, 17:04
Hi Mattd
Well to start the ball rolling I did do my PPl in the USA, I also did my hours building there at the same time. I found it cheaper and quicker than here in the UK. 0 Hours to 150 in Eight Weeks. I also came away with a FAA PPL/NR and JAA/CAA PPL/NR.

As to exams, well to gain an FAA PPL with Night Rating, you take one written exam and oral exam before your fight test . If you want to take your JAA/CAA PPL without Night Rating, you have to take seven written exams.

The route I took invloved taking my FAA and flying for one hunded hours at this point I took the Air Law, Human Factors and Radio Licence Exams also I had to under go a flight test. SO Two Licences for four written exams, one oral exam and two flight tests. I also have a Night Rating, which is a CAA extra.

The othe route is to take a JAA PPL in the USA, this involves all seven PPL exams to be taken here or in the USA.

On returning to England, I spent two or three hours with an flight instructor at my local club, before they let me loose on my own.

As a foot note, I am about to go to the USA to take me CPL/ME and some of my IR as the school I was booked with here in England let me down some months ago.

Whatever you decide good luck
FF

Mattd
13th Mar 2005, 18:58
Hi Frank,

Thanks for the reply!

If you don't mind, how much did it cost for you? Financial restraints are high for me...

Matt

Frank Furillo
14th Mar 2005, 10:08
Hi Mattd
Costs?????? Well I did mine through Multiflight and it also included ATPL Distance Groundschool with Bristol GS. Their cost is 15,000 Pounds!!!!
However if I had taken a different route it could have been like this:
JAA PPL $4995 (Min Hours)
10 Extra Hours ($145 per hour) $1450
Accom ($30 per night, 4 weeks) $840
Living ($50 per day) $1400
I have not included transportation, there are always students who will have cars, i do, and i am sure you could grab a lift.
Total $8685 or 4571 pounds. These prices are taken off EFT's web site, and don't include test fee's or visa and tsa costs or flights.

In England at my local club in Blackpool:
JAA PPL # 4995 (Min Hours)
10 Extra Hours (111 per hour) #1110
Total 6105 pounds, not including Landing Fees or test fees.

The big advantage of going to the USA, South Africa etc is the weather and therefore you can get your licence in a shorter time.

Also at most airports in the USA you do not pay landing fees I did over 300 while I was in the US and as a new pilot you will need to do a lot of them, Again Blackpool charge $15 per landing, although with the club you do get your first one free.

I am going back to the USA later this week to take my CPL/ME and some of my IR at EFT. It al depends on what you want to do if you want a PPL only then you can take a slower pace and learn in the UK. If you do some reserch with various cost etc you will find a package that is right for you.
Good Luck
FF