PDA

View Full Version : The Air Force (RAAF).

dolbinau
12th Mar 2005, 04:42
Flight school's prices are extremely expensive, Something I probably never will be able to afford.

My dad suggested I should think about Joining the Air Force, Would this be a logical, (Cheapish) and Fun way to learn how to fly? (And work).

With what I have heard a 14.5 work 'obligation' I wouldn't expect to work for an airline after this though.

Do you have a choice in what Base you are Based at? Or what aircraft you fly? I would prefer a C130 over an F-16 etc..

Do you train in Cessna's and earn traditional PPL Licences etc..? Or is it a completely different system?

Anyone have any experiences with the RAAF? Or know where I can find some stories, or a 'day as a RAAF pilot"

thanks

FFP
12th Mar 2005, 08:32
Might be worth posting this in Mil Aircrew.

But if you are thinking of joining the military to get yourself a job with the airlines, then you are going to be in for some rude awakenings.

It's not a free flight school, you'll be expected to go to war if needs be, and with a typical return of service around the 15 yr mark, you need to be in it because you WANT to be in the military.

G-SP0T
12th Mar 2005, 13:25
You should ask your self, could i take a life? the RAF will ask and will expect more than "yes" as a answer.

Other options, u can look for sponcership (goodluck with that!), get a loan, or to get a job and pay for your training in stages.

To answer some of yor other questins, the RAF basic trainer is the tutor you then progess onto bigger faster a/c. I dont believe you get a PPL, but a permit to fly or something like that, any hour you do get though can be carried over to civil flying, some ex RaF pilots do go onto airlines. there is no cost to fly with them.

Goodluck what ever u do...