PDA

View Full Version : qantas graduate program

downwind
12th Mar 2005, 00:19
Guys,

Got a mate going for the QF graduate program they are just wondering how to answer this question, bearing in mind he has no avaition expirience only an accounting background;

"Ongoing uncertainty and volatility in the global aviation has placed immense pressure on many airlines. What are some of the key issues / challenges faced by Qantas and what strategies does Qantas need to put into place to ensure continued growth and success?"

thanks.

QFinsider
12th Mar 2005, 00:54
could well be a wind up...

Aviation is a funny beast, but Qf don't need more accountants. It ain't safe out there in the big wide world of aviation so take a safe job in canberra counting some other numbers that mean so much to those that do it...Actually to be helpful why not go and do a PPL or even a CPL and try and understand the actualities of what a pilot and an aviation company are about. Or maybe do your LAME apprenticeship! Get your hands dirty! Otherwise all you see on the P&L, balance sheet or anything else are just numbers, not professionals and people. Funnily enough you cant assign a tangible value to professionalism! The once proud icon exists to move people at high speed from one place to another in relative comfort and high safety!

It aint about accounting son, it's about flying, sadly the rotten roo and those that drive have forgotten about that! All the best

Rant over, QFinsider out.:E :E

downwind
12th Mar 2005, 12:21
QFinsider,

The question is real he is trying to get into the Qantas graduate program, and would like some information/ideas on the question.

request deferred
12th Mar 2005, 20:05
A friend a mine did the program a couple of years ago and found it to be professional and very rewarding.

What Qantas or Geoff wants to hear is :

1 the foreign ownership cap on QF shares makes in harder and more expensive to raise capital in the international market ( how and why I don't know )

2 competition is not on a level playing field as you have the likes of United which is protected by Chapter 11 and will drop fares to try and starve off the competition, Malaysia Airlines who is totally underwritten by their government and continually make a loss hence the super cheap airfares, Singapore and Emirates who have workers and fuel subsidies that are simply not available in this country. Virgin and it's T & A advertising that tells us it's going to save us from all the other greedy airlines when it is in fact just poaching existing routes while paying it's workers peanuts.

3 Geoff Dixon being an absolute ****** and all the staff hating his guts and not motivated to do their best for QF

4 more competition from low cost airlines in the domestic market

5 not being able to codeshare and 'merge' with Air New Zealand

6 fuel prices and SARS/BIRD FLU/TERRORISM

...just a few ideas

downwind
13th Mar 2005, 00:27
request deferred,

thats it, thats what I wanted:O

Keg
13th Mar 2005, 02:02
So let me get this straight. The possibility exists that a new entrant into the QF graduate program for management wannabe's got his initial answers to submit on the application off a (mostly) anonymous pilots' forum.

If that is an example of the research and analysis done by past entrants into the graduate program and their level of understanding of the industry and those who work in it then it explains EVERYTHING about Qantas Airways. :* :suspect:

request deferred
13th Mar 2005, 04:27
My my Keg, not a very constructive reply!....maybe the uptightness demonstrated could be a result of too many syd/mel's in the 'light' twin :hmm:

jakethemuss
13th Mar 2005, 05:34
Remember the whole show was started by 2 Pilots and an Engineer. Why wouldn't you turn to them for answers as to how to run the company properly?

The biggest challenge facing Qantas is that Geoff has become too mesmerised by Oldmeadow (bit like the Rohan King in Lord of the Rings) and will find that substantial Industrial action will have him leaving Qantas in a poor light.

If he is serious about working with the staff, get rid of the external contractor (Oldmeadow), who creates work for his own company through unrest.

Can someone in the know publish what Oldmeadow Consulting was paid by Qantas last financial year?

Can someone with mates in the ATO (who hate union turncoats come union busters like Oldmeadow) enquire as to the possibility of conducting an audit on Oldmeadow Consulting, in particular with regards master servant relationships? He finished up as a staff member one day and started back as a contractor soon after. Bring in the Tax office!!!

longjohn
15th Mar 2005, 06:21
Thank Christ Qantas is NOT run by pilots.

Are we seriously trying to suggest that because a pilot founded the airline then that qualifies us to run it? I would like to think that we are a little more worldly than that!

Then again I can see it now..........
(possible AFR extract)
Captain bloggs, aka Chief Skygod, today announced Qantas's purchase of 150 new aircraft with 100 options, including the 777-300ER, 787, 747 advanced, and 737 series, it has also announced the return of all airbus aircraft except the A380. Furthermore, Captain bloggs announced the succesful conclusion of EBA negotiations with a number of unions, including the pilots, unfortunately, the company is locked in a bitter industrial dispute with its flight attendants as it attepts to move all positions offshore to Sweeden.'

AND 12 months later..................

'Qantas airways today announced its first loss in over 10 years, Captain Bloggs, Chief Skygod blamed foreign competition, unions, accountants, and pesky manufacturers looking for aircraft repayments.'

And then.........

'Qantas airways board announced today it has accepted the offer from Thai airways of 1baht for the airline in an agreement negotiated by the Australian government. The deal assumes the airlines massive debt and cashflow shortages and guarantees staff and creditor payments.'

How many pilots are adept at managing their own money, let alone shareholders?

I don't like Dixon's attitude to staff, particularly when it comes to playing off pilot groups against each other, but thats our own stupid fault, not his. How can someone who sits in a cockpit all day possibly pretend to know the first thing about managing an airline (and I'm not talking flight ops)?

I may not agree with all of Qantas's strategies, particularly pulling Qantas out of Paris and Rome, but I do not pretend to understand the business because I fly a jet.