PDA

View Full Version : Creating a home network

5milesbaby
11th Mar 2005, 18:02
I've recently purchased a Laptop and have linked it through a Belkin DSL Modem/Router to the Desktop. Connecting wirelessly to the net from the laptop has been doen successfully, but accessing the shared files from one to the other doesn't work.

Both machines run Windows XP Home with SP2, and the "set up a home or small office network" wizard has been run on both machines, creating individual computer names and descriptions, and setting the workgroup to "home" on both. I cannot create a floppy on the Desktop as the Laptop has no floppy drive.

When I go into "my network places - view workgroup computers", the desktop lists the laptop, but the laptop does not list the desktop. When I try to access the laptop files from the desktop I get an error message:

"<laptopname> is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found"

Right clicking the laptop and choosing properties gives,

"the server <name> could not be found on the network"

Why are they not seeing each other even though the Desktop knows the laptop exists? Anyone have any ideas what I need to do to fix the problem? I'm only trying to link the two so that many of the music CD's stored on the Desktop can be transferred to the Laptop. I'm trying to do this through an Ethernet networking cable that PC World gave me to do the job, that goes via the Belkin Router.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, although not too technical please, I'm only just beyond the basics of computer jargon!!!

SoftTop
12th Mar 2005, 08:17
Have you tried "sharing" the files on the desktop PC?

I'm not sure that you can legitimately share the "desktop". You might have to move the files into the "Shared Documents" and then maybe into the "Shared Music" folder.

Try moving one of the files in there and then, on the laptop, click on the Start button, then "My Network Places" and see if you can see the other PC. It helps if you've given the other PC a name that is obvious (some people theme their PC names on a network, e.g. Kirk, Spock, Janeway, etc.).

If you can see it, look for the connection that has "Shared Docs" in it, and double click on that. You should then be able to see the file that you put there.

Let me know how you get on.

ST

spannersatcx
12th Mar 2005, 08:42
Right Click on the folder you want to share and about a 1/3rd of the way down of the selection box is a selection called sharing and security, click that and then check the file sharing box on the dialogue box that appears. Until you allow sharing of the files you'll never be able to see them from the other pc and v.v.

5milesbaby
12th Mar 2005, 12:32
All the files I want are already in the Shared Documents folder, and file sharing is enabled. Someone at work last night mentioned they had a similar problem a while back that wasn't solved but was believed to be caused by the laptop firewall. Windows XP wizard says it will configure the firewall correctly for file sharing, is it possible is doesn't do this correctly?

Another thought was had that as all I want to do is move some large files rarely between the two hard drives, is there any need to actually make a local network? Or will it be much easier to connect the two some other way, ie without the router/internet connection, and just bulk move the files that way?

Tonic Please
14th Mar 2005, 15:22
In Windows XP Home Edition, all network connections (logons) are mapped through the Guest account. If the Guest account is not enabled, or if it does not have the appropriate share permissions, the connection does not work. If the Guest account has sufficient share permissions, but the Guest account has not been assigned NTFS file system permissions, you can connect to the network, but you cannot access files or directories.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, make sure that the Guest account is enabled and has been granted appropriate access permissions on the share level and on the NTFS level. You can grant access to the Guest account or to the Everyone group.

To enable the Guest account, follow these steps: 1. Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrative rights.
2. Click Start, click Run, type control userpasswords, and then click OK.
3. Double-click User Accounts to open the User Accounts dialog box.
4. Click Guest, and then click Turn On the Guest Account.
5. Close the User Accounts dialog box.
To grant appropriate access permissions to the drive or share, follow these steps: 1. On the computer that has the drive or share, right-click Start, and then click Explore. Locate the drive or share that you want to map from other computers on the network.
2. Right-click the drive or share, and then click Properties.
3. On the Sharing tab, click Share this folder, and then make sure that the share name is correct.
4. Click Permissions, and then select the Everyone account. If this account does not exist, click Add to add the account.
5. Click to select the check box for the level of permissions that you want to use. As a minimum, you must select Read permissions. Click Apply, and then click OK to close the Permissions dialog box.
To grant appropriate NTFS permissions to the drive or share, follow these steps: 1. Log on to the computer that has the drive or share by using the Administrator account or an account that has administrative permissions.
2. Right-click Start, and then click Explore. Locate the drive or share that you want to map from other computers on the network.
3. Right-click the drive or share, and then click Properties.
4. On the Security tab, under Group or user names, click either Guest or Everyone. If neither of these accounts exists, click Add to add the account.
5. Click to select the check box for the level of permissions that you want to use. As a minimum, click to select Read, List Folder Contents and Read & Execute, click Apply, and then click OK.

Good luck.

Tonic Please
17th Mar 2005, 14:10
Any luck there 5 miles?

5milesbaby
19th Mar 2005, 10:24
Sorry Tonic, been away for a few days so only just had the chance to try.

Sharing the files wasn't a problem, they are in the shared docs folders already and all permissions enabled. The gueast account is enabled, but cannot be changed from limited rights. I did get stuck when I got to:

4. Click Permissions, and then select the Everyone account. If this account does not exist, click Add to add the account.

Whats the Everyone account? Is it jst an account that everyone can use? We have at least 2 unprotected accounts on each computer that have administrator rights if that will do?

On the final things to do for the NTFS rights, I couldn't get much of a choice of security settings, nothing like what you mention. Are they on a different version of XP? I'm using the home edition.

The main computer still sees the Laptop but won't connect to the files, but the Laptop cannot see the main one at all. Any more ideas please?

Thanks, 5mb

Tonic Please
21st Mar 2005, 01:08
I can further suggest this link.. which is Microsoft telling you what to do, with a helpful video.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040

However in answer to your questions and one more idea.

Click Start>My Computer>Tools>Folder Options>View. Scroll to the of "advanced settings" and tick "Use Simple File Sharing"

The everyone account is a benefit of NTFS file system by giving the ability set different levels for file sharings and various other things. This means that you can control which users and groups can read, execute and modify folder contents etc. You could use NTFS to prevent all users, except for your user account, from viewing or changing your private information.

To use NTFS file permissions, your HDD has to be of th NTFS system. XP has a simple procedure for converting but be aware that once you have converted to NTSF you can't return to the FAT/32.

XP automatically allows access to the "everyone" account over the netowork. If you were to delete this account you would actually have more control over who accesses your computer. You want to make sure it IS enabled, because it may have been disabled during your efforts?

Go to Control Panel --> "Administrative Tools" --> "Local Security Policy".

In the Security Settings branch, select Local Policies --> User Rights Assignment.

On the right hand side, double click the setting for "Access this computer from the Network". Check that "everyone" is on that list! If so, great. It not, "add user or group" and go for it.

Good luck again. I'm sure that Micro$oft link will be of use.

Dan

Oggin Aviator
21st Mar 2005, 21:57
Do you have a hardware firewall in your router that may be causing the problem? Just a thought.

My own WLAN is the opposite - the lappy can see and file share with the Desktop, but not the other way round. So if I want to move a file from the Desktop to the laptop, I just use the laptop to access the desktop folder and do the transfer there. Not a problem.

R4+Z
22nd Mar 2005, 06:20
I'm having the exact same problem and I am beginning to think it has something to do with routing tables but due to lack of knowledge can't get any further. I can ping the router from both machines but can't ping from one computer to the other. Just like you though the main one can see the other but not vise versa.

The setup must be ok as both machines can get on to the internet. The only difference I can see is I am using XP pro.

Tonic Please
23rd Mar 2005, 23:20
Have you tried my two long reply suggestions? And checked the link to the M$ site?

R4+Z
24th Mar 2005, 09:38
Tonic

I can't follow the posts because you can't change the shared folder as the sharing tab is not there and as I don't want to make a change that I can't undo I am not going to convert to NTFS.

I might add that I've found that when you run the network setup wizard it turns on the internet connection firewall which can be reached by going to control panel, Network connections, right clicking on the appropriate lan icon, selecting properties then the advanced tab. When I uncheck the box for internet connection firewall I can now ping from one machine to the other.

After more messing around I have reached the point where my computer can see shared folders on my son's computer but not the other way round. I still don't know how I got to where I currently am at so I don't know how to get the rest of it going. I should also add that if I search for computers on my son's computer it does find my machine but if I try to access it from there it comes back with access denied

I will keep stumbling round in the dark till either I find it or one of you kind souls can lead me to it.

Thanks for trying to help.

Tonic Please
24th Mar 2005, 22:21
I'm suprised this doesn't work:

Go to Control Panel --> "Administrative Tools" --> "Local Security Policy".

In the Security Settings branch, select Local Policies --> User Rights Assignment.

On the right hand side, double click the setting for "Access this computer from the Network". Check that "everyone" is on that list! If so, great, it should work, but apparently doesn't in which case it's beyond my knowledge. If not, "add user or group" and go for it.

I've said everything I can imagine. Think you might need to email/call Microsoft. :ugh:

R4+Z
26th Mar 2005, 09:18
Tonic & 5milesbaby

learning slowly, I've learned that you can be running a firewall when you least expect it. For example norton has a built in firewall and a lot of people have had success after removing it. I haven't gone quite that far yet but will soon if I don't find something more positive. The thing stopping me from going down that track is both machines are loaded with the same software but one works while the other doesn't.

a site worth visiting is this one (http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net.asp)

Will keep at it though.