PDA

View Full Version : blueskyaviation TR ATR

lovis9
11th Mar 2005, 16:56
Hi all!

A few questions to who is better inside the market then me,

With my 600h( 200 in a caravant) it seems I am not going very far......
I am thinking about the chance to get a type rating on ATR ( since with my toal time and experience a 737 TR Will not be the best choice , poedeutically speaking )

They told me : we do not guarantee any job but we have a hight demand of ATR pilots. Blue sky aviation.

Now, the cost of this opertions 23.000 pounds is quite hight compared to B737 TR, that is pretty much the same.

Well, do you think I schould go and get it? and,not having the target 1500 h, do you think will I have any chance in the market to get a job in an ATR?

Thanks in advance for any answers!!!!

All the best,

Lovi.

GusHoneybun
11th Mar 2005, 21:46
Caveat Empor!

If someboby came to me with 23 grand burning a hole in his/her sky rocket I would also tell them that there was a shortage of Type Rated Pilots in the near future. Further to that, I would also inform them that Elvis Lives, the moon is made of cheese, I stole Shergar, I really can't believe it's not butter and wagon wheels certainly were bigger when I was younger IF that's what they wanted to hear.

Without a guaranteed job at the end of training, it is a gamble and a very large one as well. To be honest, it's not what TR you choose that the difficult bit, it's getting the first 500 hours on type. Get that and you are in a much better situation.

If you are going to prostitute yourself in this way now, do your research very carefully before choosing a pimp.

Personally, if I was you, and as have Caravan experience, try talking to some people in the African forum because they are always looking for C208 drivers that don't mind sitting on flak jackets. Spend a year or two doing that. You will learn more about flying and command decisions out there then in an MCC/Sim. The stories you'll have will keep any crusty old captain amused on your 4th sector of the day. Plus you'll have plenty of turbine experience, which can't hurt anyone.

Good Luck

PS. It's SkyBlue Aviation not BlueSky. Just nit picking.

Conc
12th Mar 2005, 15:25
I did my ATR training with Skyblue but was already working for my current airline. Several guys who have paid for their own course with Skyblue have got jobs with us. There is a demand for ATR pilots and the guys at Skyblue are good but, I WOULDN'T PAY FOR A RATING

IRISHPILOT
13th Mar 2005, 05:27
hello there.

With a price well over double of what you would pay for a JAA ATR rating in CSA or that French JAA place in Bankok, they'd better give you a job after.

There is no target 1500 hours for a 737 job, if they need you on the day, they'll take you. It's a gamble with either rating. None of the about 15 new hires on the 737 in my company had more than 1200TT, half of them less hours than you, some no time on type.

Both aircraft are fun to fly, but if you go for a rating anyway, why not go for the one that will pay you back your expense in a much shorter time, eg. a jet?

A 737 rating is less than the ATR rating. Do a search on here and Google.

hope this helps, IP

lovis9
13th Mar 2005, 17:14
Hi !,

thanks for all the answers,

yeah, my "final" target is a jet, it is not a question of money if there is job at the and, I am not thinking to pay for job against my capabilities.

I looked at Astraeus and also the price is quite simalar to that, now 737 Vs ATR, in my mind 737 is the winner, the point as you correctly said is to find out who offer something at the and, and not only something like: you will get hired sooner or later.
If not a job a 6 months contract or a place in a holding pool....
A part from Ryanair ( that I applied for )and CTC, I do not know any other names where to put a 23000 p. quite safely,

I also am looking for other types like Falcon or charter jets,where to get a TR and to fly for.

If any of you know some TRTO to get a rating in any sot of jet , plus a sort of contract, please tell me, I'll not stop keep looking, it is nearly 2 years I am turning my head anyway, from Europe to Brasil, where I start to fly in the bush.

Thanks for everything man,

regards,

Lovi.

Global Pilot
14th Mar 2005, 06:38
Lovis9,

check your figures from SkyBlue again! £23k seems very high. I believe the figure for the ATR rating is more like £14k plus VAT.

rgds,
GP.

first_solo
14th Mar 2005, 07:19
Have they (blueskyaviation) got an homepage ??

flyingfletch
14th Mar 2005, 08:11
skyblue are a top notch outfit, would recommend them to anyone for a type rating. Personally I did not pay for my rating my company did, and I was never too keen about paying for a rating without a job at the end.

skyblueaviation.com

FF:ok:

Dutchie
14th Mar 2005, 11:29
these guys have excellent connections with airlines. Just ask them what happened with the previous students, where they fly and whether you can contact them.

:ok:

lovis9
14th Mar 2005, 16:49
Yes Global pilot,

is 23.000 euros incl. VAT,
thanks to all, all good answers, Even that price without any job after is quite high as I can see, I'll keep looking, they told me 47 of 50 got hired,
Any other suggestions will be well accepted!
Thanks,
Lovi

Dougle Mcguire
14th Mar 2005, 17:11
You are getting mixed up between euros and pounds. Its about 13500 pounds plus VAT.

BUT
16th Mar 2005, 20:32
Dear Lovis9

Check www.datflightacademy.com in Denmark. They also offer the ATR Type Rating. I don't know the price, but it is always good to compare...

Good Luck

BUT

BeforeStart
26th Mar 2005, 21:50
If you should decide to go for the 737 rating there is a Danish school running a course for aproximately 15000£ including the 6 landings:

http://www.danfly-aps.dk

They do the ground school in Sweden, near Malmoe and provide accomodation, apparently for little or no money.

SIM training is in Stockholm, Oslo or Brussels.

I personally don´t have anything against people buying a rating but if it was me I would never pay the same for an ATR rating as for a 737, unless perhaps I was sure of getting a job...

silverknapper
27th Mar 2005, 08:25
I think you are being a bit hard on your self. You have a good few hours, on a decent machine. Get another 100 and if you went to an air taxi company you should get work easily. Do that for a while and you'll walk into a good job fairly easily. It may be a self sponsored type rating, like Easyjet, but it'll be a job.

lovis9
29th Mar 2005, 14:33
Dear Silverknapper,

I also agree on that point, well I am looking into an airtaxi, the company is the last and final destination, 1000 or what ever amount of hours would be good in a business jet or turboprop as aerotaxi,even more propedeutic, the reason is that get a job there, even if not paid job seems diff. as well,

I am trying to find out a group or a list, I'd like to get a TR on a citation or falcon ,..., but I need to be sure there is sort of job thereafter, or if not a job a 6 month contract or somthing more than the TR, that is what Iam looking for,

If any of you guys know some place as TRTo providing a TR on a business jet in wich the relation with the school is not finisched upon completition on the rating, i please you to inform me, it is what I am looking for,

Thanks,

Lovi.