PDA

View Full Version : How tricky is this 737 TR?

RISK AVERSE
11th Mar 2005, 11:45
OK,

starting my 73NG TR in about 3 weeks. Been doing a fair amount of prep for it in terms of CBT and reading through OPs manual etc.

From others who have undergone the TR, how difficult is it?

I have been flying singles VFR about once a month, and did my MCC on 73-2 in October. I'm absolutely skint so can't aford any brush in a jet sim before i start. Which is going to be more difficult, the ground school or the sim?

any advice for prep is appreciated

Cheers

RA

flycold
11th Mar 2005, 15:24
congratulations!

in my case, sim was much happier than ground school.

reading OM was much more helpful than CBT.

it was most happiest moments in my life.

but, watch out your crazy sim instructors! ;-)

X-Centric
11th Mar 2005, 17:12
I know that it sounds like a cliche but just enjoy your course, then you'll get the maximum benefit from it. As to how difficult: it really depends on your ability & state of mind & just how good your instructors are.

Don't get phased because you have only been flying singles, I trained with people who had previous turbo prop experience (as I did) & made a right pigs ear of things & others who had about 200 hours total & breezed the course.

One tip: don't think about the entire course stretching out ahead of you when you start, literally focus on each stage at a time & treat it like building blocks; before you know it you will have completed your course & have a B737 300-900 rating endorsed in your licence. It's a fabulous aircraft to fly. Best of luck.

;)

FatFlyer
12th Mar 2005, 07:14
Just out of interest, who are you doing the rating with, is it with a job, or are you self funded with the hope of a job at the end?

RISK AVERSE
12th Mar 2005, 16:38
thanks for all the good advise.

I've been concentrating on the CBT, so i think i'll turn my attention to the OM now for the last few weeks.

I'm of course a little apprehensive as i dont know really what to expect - but at the same time i cant wait to get my hands on the sim.

(fatflyer - for you info its self-funded with sas - you know the ryanair deal)

i've heard some really good things about sas, and all that i speak to say its the best training in the business (maybe a little bias)

cheers again

back to the pdf ops manual -

Global Pilot
14th Mar 2005, 06:54
Sounds like you have the ideal preperation done already. My ground school was based on the CBT so I expect SAS to be similar. If you can get hold of an FMC trainer, such as the ones used in add ons to flight sim, do so! Spending some spare time on this will help you out a little in the sim. Geeting to grips with the FMC is not essential as you really learn how to use this equipment on line but if you can familarise yourself before the sim then great.

Recent VFR flying, try flying a few ILSs on Flight Sim. Fly them raw data and this will also stand to you in the sim.

best of luck and enjoy it up there....at least it is getting warmer now!

rgds,
GP.

POL.777
14th Mar 2005, 07:59
It's fun fun fun.
I bought the Bill Bulfer Cockpit + FMC guide and I found them a great supplement to the manuals.
Best of luck mate.

:ok:

TRon
17th Mar 2005, 09:58
Like most of the other guys have said here, it really depends on you.

The groundschool is a pain, hard work but some people really enjoy the technical side of things, although I think they are in the minority.

You shouldn't have too much problem with the sim, she is a pussy cat single engine and especially the NG, has so moany things there to make your life easier. I cant redcommend using the Flight Path Vector enough, especially single engine!

Sim is structured, and you will do your LST feeling like you havent learnt enough to fly the thing. Then the big test and probably the most nervous and excited you will ever be, base training.

You really learn things on Line Training, where so long as it is structured and supportive you will be fine.

Have fun and best of luck!

TRon