PDA

View Full Version : Sit Down before Reading Thread..

MrHorgy
10th Mar 2005, 22:00
http://www.jigsaw-software.co.uk/images/letter.jpg

Got a lovely letter from MYT this morning, hope not many others did, i'm pretty upset but that's life. What are people's opinions? Does it happen much? And how can "Operational requirements" change in a month, requiring the lay off of 40 would-be workers? At my current job in a bank I was told it cost £18,000 to train me, god knows what they lost in interview costs to them..

They say they'll forward my app to other airlines, what do people think will happen with this?

Horgy

Rachie
10th Mar 2005, 22:03
*kills self*

and I'll just type a few more extra words to make my post 'worthy'

Spike001
11th Mar 2005, 00:28
Sorry to hear the bad news.

I would suggest you contact other airlines individually, as you can't always rely upon others to do it for you in today's climate (generally speaking, from my previous experience).

All the best, and keep positive as something will come about. :ok:

Cart_tart
11th Mar 2005, 01:02
My favourite bit is that the REAL HR manager for CC didn't even sign it.

fourplay
11th Mar 2005, 08:36
So sorry to read the letter.
It is obviously what we all dread after being told we are sucessful.

The airline business is a very volitile one, indeed operational requirements do change however, good carriers usually wear this and do not lay off staff if they can help it.

I do hope you can still remain at your bank position and are not out of employment.
I feel you will find what has happened to you is for the best.
You WILL find another Cabin crew position that is even better suited to your requirements and soon!

Mark my words... spooky old psychic ;) ;) ;)

wan2fly
11th Mar 2005, 11:33
Hi There...

Well firstly - I am very sorry they did this to you :(

But DONT give up get out there and aply now - Go to ....

www.thomascookairlines.co.uk and apply for them a great airline and have fantastic crews nice uniform and good staff benefits they also help to find you a job in the winter time in other areas of the business..

My Top tip is to call TCX first and ask if they are recruiting and then PRINT off the application form from their wevsite and post it - I did mine on line last year and it was never received I posted the third one and I had a reply within one week.....

I think TCX are a fantastic company and I love everything about my job.

If TCX is not gor you do same with other carriers...

Try the charters and also try BA Citie Express they are recruiting out of Manchester at the moment.

Please dont dont dont give up ...

PS - Check your PM's...

pollypocket36
11th Mar 2005, 11:45
Hey there, I'm so sorry to hear this. Don't give up. You'll find something even better next time. Good luck with the search and stay positive.

Polly xx

KK2
11th Mar 2005, 15:08
Do you think Sarah Marrow even saw the letter?!!!

Probably not...

The fact that she couldn't even personally sign 40 letters going out to people who's lives were about to be shattered is an unprofessional disgrace.

Big Tudor
11th Mar 2005, 15:26
MrHorgy,

Since the letter is headed Private and Confidential do you think it is appropriate to copy it onto a public BB? Obviously not, although I notice you do go to the trouble of blanking out your own name and address whilst leaving the names and telephone numbers of others on view! :mad:

KK2
Is it really any of your business why SM didn't sign the letters. Have you considered the fact that she may have been on leave and therefore unable to personally sign, preferring perhaps to communicate such news in a timely and prompt fashion using the time honoured method of p.p.? No, obviously not.

Biscuit Chucker
Operational requirements means somebody is actually taking the time to evaluate information and update it accordingly, rather than employ more staff than are required and then justify why they are under-utilised!

Miss World
11th Mar 2005, 15:34
MrHorgy

I've sent you a PM!

Miss W X

MrHorgy
11th Mar 2005, 17:03
Big Tudor,

Are you telling me, that operational requirements change from the week before, when they told me everything was ok?

It doesn't bother me particularly who signed the letter, nor it says private and confidential - I waive my right to confidentiality by posting on this forum which I am entitled to do.

I'm just somewhat shocked that they would lay off 40 people with that sort of notice - I don't blame them, if they specified a bit more it might be more understandable that's all. Why would they spend all this money on recruitment? Your seriously expecting me to believe that they would need to have this much of a change, and they had NO idea it would happen? One theory is the withdrawal of the Boeing's, if it IS that, it's been in the pipeline for months. A little expansion would not go amiss.

I worry about people who no longer have jobs, and people who have (potentially) lost a lot of money relocating. I'm not so bad, i've successfully pleaded, and got, my old job back. Not everyone will be as lucky as me.

Horgy

KK2
12th Mar 2005, 00:53
Big Tudor,

Why wouldn't it be my business?

This forum is for us to get on the bandwagon and support MrHorgy on a quest for some kind of reprieve.

I don't need your excuses as to why SM didn't sign the letter. In fact, excuses like that don't stand up with me.

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or just completely an*l in your post....

KK2

Rachie
12th Mar 2005, 12:45
I'm one that is due to lose ALOT of money in this, I'm going to be in a very dire position finacially

I'm due to move to Manchester on the 24th - and I have no job to go to, I'm fortunate enough to work for a big enough company that I COULD relocate but I'm not going to be earning anywhere near what I would of been with MYT

if they'd told me two weeks earlier, it would of sucked, but it wouldnt have been AS bad, I wouldn't of got somewhere to live and I could of got another job up here somewhere

leonbrumsack
12th Mar 2005, 20:34
Good luck to all of those who have been shat upon. Hope you're all able to find something suitable soon. :(

pacific.heights
12th Mar 2005, 22:38
I know how you feel when BMI did the samet thing to me in 2002. They cancelled my training 2 weeks before it was due to start. But at least they paid a full month. Luckily they contacted me too long after, unfortunatelly in the meantime i had gone to to another airline with which i didnt stay too long, i am lucky i was still on BMI files and took me back without an interview.

I am sure something similar will happen to you.

jmccrew
13th Mar 2005, 00:49
A word of advice when relocating to start an airline cabin course DON'T arrange fixed term accomadation the course can be hard going and a few fail to pass all the exams you have to sit .
pass everythiing 1st and then look for something, in the mean time rent a room or b&b

VH-Cheer Up
13th Mar 2005, 04:04
This reflects very poorly on the so-called management of My Travel Airways.

You don't have a selection and recruitment process, offer jobs and then suddenly have changed operational requirements to that extent. Someone here has seriously stuffed things up. Either the whole show is about to go tits-up, or the recruitment was never properly authorised in the first place.

MrHorgy, were you made an offer of employment? Was there a contract document? Did you accept? If so, then you may have an actionable case for unreasonable termination of employment. Or even for redundancy. I would call whatever the appropriate government department is that controls labour and workplace relations in the UK, and get some advice.

Good luck, I'm sure things will improve.

Meanwhile, others might want to make a note of the inept way the matter has been handled, and treat My Travel Airways like a pile of festering parrot droppings - to be avoided!

Cheers

yeoman
13th Mar 2005, 06:58
Tough break.

BY are recruiting. Operational requirements do change very quickly. As all airlines run things so close to the bone it could be as simple as losing 1 series of flights that drops the requirement for crew. As MYT are paddling fast to stay afloat and with some success, they are probably cut closer to the bone than most. Of no consolation to you and your colleagues of course. Keep your a##e behind you and it will come right.

Big Tudor: You are an oaf.

Rachie
13th Mar 2005, 13:27
I'm still going to Manchester

thank god I have a supporitve family - jebus

Big Tudor
13th Mar 2005, 18:03
MrH
Yes, operational requirements do change very quickly, especially in the run up to the start of the season. It also takes time for such requirements to be verified and passed on to the relevant departments. If Mr Horgy is your real name then you have, as you say, waived your right to confidentiality. However, I'm not sure that the 2 people mentioned in your letter have waived that right, nor have they given you espress permission to publish telephone numbers on a public forum.

KK2
Do you know whether SM saw the letter? Do you actually know SM or any of the MYT people? Probably not, yet you feel it is your right to venture forth with full character assasinations of the MYT recruitment team. How would you rather have dealt with it? Witheld the letter until the person concerned was available to sign personally, or p.p. the letter so it can be dispatched as soon as possible to allow people to make alternative arrangements.
Neither sarcastic or anal.

yeoman
Perchance you could expand on your eloquant assessment of me? :mad:

MrHorgy
13th Mar 2005, 20:04
VH

Thanks for your kind words. I am already investigating this, to see if I can claim some sort of compensation, or take legal action.

Big Tudor

If they change so much that they lay off forty people, then there's a major problem with the recruiting system. I needn't type my full name, because it's a "handle" - a name I prefer to be know as. I don't think my real name is any of your business though, do you? Perhaps the other people haven't given permission, I accept I should've blanked the phone number, as I have now done. But the names mean nothing. They could be signed Micky Mouse for all the difference it makes to the content of the letter!

I'm assuming you work for MYT in management, because your the single one person who has defended the actions, and shown no sympathy. Do you not at least agree it's a little unfair to only give this notice? Perhaps you would also like to eleborate as to why MYT has sought to cover up what it has done? I have had the letter censored on cabincrew.com by "mytcrew" - yeah I wonder if he has an affiliation? :rolleyes:

As for your comments as to the other posters, your being melodramatic and a big wet blouse. No "full character assasinations of the MYT recruitment team" have taken place, merely a comment as to why the letter could have been signed personally, and not "pp'd" - my suggestion would have been to simply sign it off as whoever signed it in reality - there, problem solved.

When you take your head out the sand, and realise there are wider reaching financial obligations to MYT's actions, and that considerable upset has been caused, perhaps only then should you reply, as your replys so far are only causing more upset.

Horgy

Big Tudor
14th Mar 2005, 07:22
MrH

No, I do not work for MYT in any capacity. Since my opinions are obviously causing so much upset I will refrain from making any more.

yeoman
14th Mar 2005, 07:41
Big Tudor, my pleasure:

OED: Oaf , a stupid or loutish person, from Old English, Elf.

The time honoured fashion of pp (no full stops by convention) is as you say, time honoured. However, it's use under these circumstances is inappropriate. Such news should be from the person ultimately responsible. It's called effective man management and as you may perhaps see from the other posts, it has been effective in upsetting a lot of people.

If the Ms Marrow was away, the way to do it is to get a minion to sign the letter and signature block it as "Fred Bloggs for Ms Marrow" That way we can all see that Ms Marrow is not abbrogating her responsibility for the action. It's called delegating.

As for leaving Ms Marrow's name up, a fair point but moot.

Mr Horgy's business if Ms Marrow didn't sign the letter? On the basis that he has just been binned I would say Yes but then I'm old fashioned. (Stupid)

Your use of the :mad: Smilie: I assume that in your posts words of an inoffensive nature fail you so you leave it to the readers' imagination to insert the relevant anatomical description. (Loutish)

If this troubles you as an explanation, I'll make it easy.:mad:

P.S. I am uncertain as to your feelings on sitting on toadstools or hanging around at the bottom of the garden so the Old English, like considerate management and people who commiserate with those who have just lost what was probably a dream job, is now dead.

TightSlot
14th Mar 2005, 08:13
I'm assuming you work for MYT in management, because your the single one person who has defended the actions, and shown no sympathy.

An unwise assumption as it turns out. Big Tudor's comments so far have been considered and reasonable, even though you may disagree with what he says, or the fact that he says them.

An alternative viewpoint is not a justification for personal attacks. Please keep off the personal, and remain on the general subject.

MrHorgy you have my sympathy - it's a tough break. It is worth pointing out that the same standard of care shown above is also extended to existing employees, on a regular basis: It seems to be part of the industry, not just at MYT. My best advice would be to develop as thick a hide as possible, as quickly as possible.

Big Tudor
14th Mar 2005, 08:36
In response to yeoman only. My use of the :mad: smilie is as an indication of displeasure (you'll notice that the text required for this smilie is the word "Mad"). Whilst there is a general post smilie of angry, there is not one for inclusion in the text. If you want to insert expletives then feel free.
As to being an oaf, well that is your opinion. Although, since I am not aware that we have met, you seem to base your opinions of others on fairly limited information.

And just to clarify, I have never said that I did not commiserate with MrH. Having recently been made redundant I can understand some of the feelings that such a letter would generate. My viewpoint is that I disagree with the manner in which the issue has been approached.

In the absence of a smilie to indicate annoyance with people in a highly professional occupation who would do well to engage brain before opening mouth, this will have to do. :mad:

MrH - Apologies for hijacking your thread, and for any upset I may have caused. It was unintentional.

Mods - Please feel free to delete/edit this post as you see fit. I feel better for it though.

yeoman
14th Mar 2005, 08:56
Ta Dah! Boom Ching!

Mea Culpa etc:{

MrHorgy
14th Mar 2005, 09:23
Mr T

Accepted. It IS a distressing time for us, although your comments do make sense, and are infact probably correct, its just possibly not the most sympathetic way of wording them. Apology accepted.

On a different note, i practically wet myself 10 minutes ago when TCX rung on the back of having my details "circulated" - has anyone else recieved a call? Apparantly it's not a normal interview because of the time frame, i'm hoping it'll be straight to 2 - 1 stage where I can really shine :D

Horgy

Raggyman
14th Mar 2005, 09:28
Big Tudor - I would strongly agree that these sorts of things should be put a public forum. If MYT made the decision then they should be willing to stand behind the decision that they made, whether or not their decision was made available to readers in a public forum. Sure it might have been Private and Confidential, but I think that MrHorgy had a right to make it avalible on the public forum if wanted to. While MYT might be slightly embarresed of it being avaliable on a public forum, they are after all the ones who made a decision, to offer and then de-offer a position.

MrHorgy - Probably a good indication of the respect that MYT have for their staff. It might however only be a once off, and they might be a great employer, but wouldn't probably rely on them. Like alot of buisnesses, they possibly view their staff as expendable, and don't view yourself as critical to the survial of their business, mainly because there are probably 100 people to in line to replace you. Good luck to you in the future though.

Rachie
14th Mar 2005, 15:31
I'm so thankful for the phone call MYT just gave me -

so we've screwed you over, I guess you'll be staying at your current job then? well no actually I have to move to Manchester with no job to go to, but thanks anyway

salt in wounds anyone?

bcf&gloves
15th Mar 2005, 09:53
I would like to offer my thought's to those guy's who have been notified by MYT that they no longer have a job for the summer.

Have to say I am not surprised, I used to work for MYT and to be honest the crew are always the last to know!

I know that BY are still recruiting I thnk that Monarch are looking for crew at BHX.

Wish you all the best of luck!

MrHorgy
24th Mar 2005, 13:29
The plot thickens! After going to an interview with TCX that MYT arranged, and not getting it, had them on the horn this morning offering me LGW as a base - now should I relocate or not? I'm originally from London anyway, but what'd the nitelife like around in the south? Thought the place was populated by old biddies :p

Horgy

Rachie
26th Mar 2005, 15:17
Very considerate of them to offer me a place in LGW on the day I was actually moving to Manchester :mad:

or or, I'll be invited to ANOTHER selection day but this time for a customer service agent.. 20 hours a week isn't going to pay my rent!!

Whiskey Zulu
27th Mar 2005, 22:19
Monarch are definitely still recruiting! Especially at MAN. They've had to cancel some courses because of a lack of suitable candidates! 9 courses of 24, plus 2 re-entry courses are needed for this summer. :ooh:

http://www.flyzb.com/cnt/news/index.asp?headlineID=349