View Full Version : Great South African Training...

I.R.PIRATE
10th Mar 2005, 09:17
"Engine trouble forced a pilot to carry out an emergency landing in his light aircraft near Tongaat in KwaZulu-Natal on Wednesday, a spokesperson for the Civil Aviation Authority said.

The spokesperson said the pilot had been with a student on a training flight when the plane developed engine trouble.

He said the names of the pilot and his student were being withheld, pending an inquiry into the incident.

A full investigation is likely to be carried out to determine the exact cause of the crash.

The pilot and the student were not seriously injured. We believe the damage to the plane is extensive," said the spokesperson.

Pierre Laubscher, a witness to the incident and himself a qualified pilot, said he had seen the plane as it was making an approach to try to land in an open space north of the Dudley Pringle Dam.

It was a testimony to the quality of the training and safety of general aviation in South Africa. Based on what I saw, they performed a text book emergency procedure, thereby averting serious injury or possible loss of life," said Laubscher.

The weather had been good for flying - clear skies and light winds.

Laubscher said it was unfortunate that owing to recent heavy rains and the rough terrain, the aircraft had flipped over.

The plane was a Cessna C150.

For more than 40 years, this model has been used for training purposes all over the world, and is generally trusted as the most popular and safe training aircraft.

The area over which the two were flying is regarded as the "general flying area", which is purposely allocated for flying training.

The aircraft is valued at between R400 000 and R600 000."

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=181&art_id=vn20050310080228213C441132

Gauteng Pilot
10th Mar 2005, 10:09
http://www.iol.co.za/data/picdb/a/0/newspic422ffe5a213f5

Deanw
10th Mar 2005, 11:59
Hi IRP

The original report heading was 'Aircraft forced to make emergency landing'.

At least here is a press article that, apart from a suspect C150 value, is not too sensationalistic and pretty accurate, considering some of the other press reports that have been published lately.

Instead of casting doubt on the SA training scene with your heading, let's say well done to the instructor and reporter. :ok:

(It helps to have interviewed a reliable witness who knows about aviation (Laubscher) as well :} )

I.R.PIRATE
10th Mar 2005, 14:02
Please dont think that i meant anything negative from my choice of heading, that was just what I saw as the crux of the matter, and thought it would grab the attention. btw, how does one post in image like that?

Kudos to the repoprter for as you say...his totalll objective view and insight without having to resort to the usual sensationalism