PDA

View Full Version : frozen on boot up!

LDG_GEAR _MONITOR
9th Mar 2005, 20:52
MY pc (using windows xp) has had a flip and now when i come to the log in page for windows xp it freezes and am unable to move the mouse cursor. i have tried normal boot,safe boot,last know good boot all the same.
i have got another hard disc with just windows on it. if i swap them over, it boots just fine mousr etc works so i know it is a software not a hardware fault.

so anyone any ideas how to get it to boot with the frozen mouse?is it possible to move the mouse using the keyboard?

or how can i get the desktop items from my log in off the dead disk?i have tried using the working disc and the original disc as a storage disc meaning i can get most things off but what was on my desktop comes up with acess denied when i try to copy them over - any ideas to bypass this and save my data?

thanks in advance !

ORAC
10th Mar 2005, 05:05
Put it back in as the C drive then boot your computer while holding down the F8 Key. At the Advanced Options Menu select Last Known Good Configuration.

If that doesn't work, set the machine to boot from the CD first and try doing a repair from the XP CD.

See here (http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm#How%20to%20access%20the%20Recovery%20Console:) for some tips.

LDG_GEAR _MONITOR
11th Mar 2005, 08:42
orac

last known good config results in the smae lock up on boot up.if i try booting from CD with disc as C drive as above, i can enter recovery mode but get a command prompt of
C:\windows>
not being a clever bugger with computers not a clue what to do next! tried your link but wouldnt work!

thanks for help so far!

Is there any combinations of keys on the keyboard that can be used to move the mouse??just an idea in case i can move the mouse with keyboard and its the mouse drivers at fault ?

ORAC
11th Mar 2005, 10:39
Windows XP Repair Installation

At some point you may need to repair the installation of Windows XP. This is preferable to a clean install in many cases since it attempts to only repair your copy of windows without having to delete all the files on your computer first. In many cases a repair installation is enough to fix the problem.

A repair install deletes the files normally installed by windows XP and then reinstalls them off the disc. A repair install will not rebuild your computer's registry, delete applications and user settings, or fix problems caused being caused by a program.

1. First you have to boot the computer with the Windows XP cd in the cd tray. You will see a black screen and it will ask you to press any key to boot from the cd so press the spacebar and your computer will boot from the CD.

2. After a moment you will be taken to the Windows XP Setup screen. Though the second option says to repair do not press R. Instead press enter to select the setup for Windows XP.

3. Next, you have to accept the license agreement from windows. Once you've done that it will search for your existing installation of windows.

4. Once it has finished detecting the installation you need to select the XP installation you want to repair. You can repair the installation by pressing R. If you don't see the repair option you will need to do a clean installation. Your version of windows may have been damaged in a way that it cannot carry out a repair.

5. Setup will then copy the files it needs to the hard drive and reboot the computer. A message will come up asking you if you want to boot from the cd, don't press any keys and just let the timer run out. The set up will continue and look like is doing a clean install but all of your applications and settings will be intact when it finished.

LDG_GEAR _MONITOR
11th Mar 2005, 11:46
thanks orac

did the above - it went through deleting a load of files then installed some did a restart and came up as though a full install of windows as above.

even during this the mouse pointer wouldnt move! tried a cordless and 2 with cords all of which i know works

during installation asked for a file for my onboard sound card but couldnt move th pointer t oclick the ok browse or cancel. tried the keyboard and that dont do anything either!i have a green light on keyboard for caps lock being on,but pressing caps lock wont cycle the light same with num lock

this isnt looking good ! all i want to do is get the passwords off then i can get teh data off the disc i need, wipe it and a full install ! i could cry !

stickyb
11th Mar 2005, 17:14
What happens if you disconnect all mouses ( or meece??) and then boot up?

ORAC
11th Mar 2005, 21:36
Are you using a USB or PS mouse? (i.e try a PS2 mouse and keyboard)

Shanwick Shanwick
14th Mar 2005, 14:35
Bin it and buy a MAC

ORAC
14th Mar 2005, 14:59
I am working on the assumption it is a USB mouse driver issue, hence the suggestion to use a PS2 mouse and keyboard or a PS2-USB adapter and see if it boots. You can then delete/change the prsent USB drivers. You can also try holding down F8 during boot and seeing if you can boot into safe mode.

LDG_GEAR _MONITOR
14th Mar 2005, 15:03
ive got ps2 mouse and keyboard. i can read the desktop folders for the other users on my pc but not mine it says access denied! also if i do a properties of my desktop folder it says 0!

i think its time to through the towel in and try the format C:\ command

but thanks for your help guys

Tonic Please
14th Mar 2005, 15:13
Is there any way you could return to a system restore point?

LDG_GEAR _MONITOR
14th Mar 2005, 17:54
if i could get the desktop to start up then yes i probably could but i carnt get xp to get that far on boot up to try !

Tonic Please
15th Mar 2005, 00:36
Press the window button on your keyboard and that gets the "START" thing up, and you use up down left right arrows to move around.

Try this, press and hold down Ctrl + Alt and then press Del to bring up Task Manager, then File, New Task and type in explorer.exe to restart the process.

Now if you can get into other peoples areas but not yours, go into their's (assuming they have admin rights?) and do this.. or, if you can, do this on yours without the mous using the keyboard as I explained.. Tab moves the "dots around the button that you could press" to the next one in line, so once you have tabbed to the button you must press, press ENTER. ANother thing...if you must choose an option which involves something along the top...FILE/EDIT etc.. press ALT and the underlined letter :)

Turn off Simple File Sharing: a. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
b. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
c. Under Advanced Settings, click to clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box, and then click OK.

2. Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
3. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message, if one appears.
4. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
5. In the Name list, click your user name, Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group.

If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, click to select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
6. Click OK.

You may receive the following error message, where Folder is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of:
You do not have permission to read the contents of directory Folder. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control? All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.
7. Click Yes.
8. Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and the folder contents.

Good luck.