PDA

View Full Version : Brize Norton

L1011GE
8th Mar 2005, 12:21
Anyone heard any rumours about Brize closing for a few months in the summer and flying done from Fairford? I stress its just a rumour.

BEagle
8th Mar 2005, 13:11
The RW at Brize will, it sems, need resurfacing. So that probably gives 2 options:

1. Do what they did last time and what they do at proper civil aerodromes, close the RW overnight to let the workers resurface it in sections.

2. Close the place and 'bolthole' the a/c elsewhere. Fairford is the hot rumour.

It shouldn't be beyond the wit of the contract writers to tell the contractors that whichever way they do it, the quality must be the same.

As far as noise sensitivity goes, I imagine that the Fairford complainers will be chuffed to bits if the 'bolthole' option is chosen and they are treated to the gentle sound of the TriShaw and particularly the mighty Vickers WhisperJet 24/7! Particularly if the decision is cost-based and an alternative, less environmentally-disturbing option is available!

No doubt something to talk to the prospective parliamentary candidates about in an election year?

But "Calm down dear, it's only a rumour!"

L1011GE
8th Mar 2005, 13:19
the other rumour we heard on the big white bus Sqn was that no private cars would be allowed at Fairford and everyone would have to get the bus from Brize... no good if you live in Swindon etc.

engineer(retard)
8th Mar 2005, 14:54
Hope they do a better job of the contract than was doen for Lossie many moons ago. Cheapest tender selected, required 3 frost free days for tarmac to go off, work starts November. Outstanding plan.

Lossie again, cleaning off old manoeuvring area paint markings using blasting method with small steel shot. Steel shot not cleaned away, not realised until 6 engine changes later.

Art Field
8th Mar 2005, 15:59
If they chose the night option my sympathy goes to the DCF's, assuming such an animal still exists, wandering up and down the runway at 5.30 in the morning, picking up bits of god knows what dropped by the contractors. If MOD takes the cheapest bidder they in turn use the sweeper company with the tattiest brushes and clapped out trucks.

Conan the Librarian
8th Mar 2005, 19:11
Oddly enough, having lived in Fairford for a while, it wasn't the B 52s that were the noisy ones - hardly knew that they were there - but the Brize Traffic cleaned up on all counts!

I now live in Lechlade once again and will, if rumour holds true, now cop it from all sides - Aaah.... Lovely noise though....

kind regs to all,

Conan

tarbaby
8th Mar 2005, 20:09
New runway? Does this mean Brize is closing down?

6foottanker
8th Mar 2005, 21:12
No, Brize is not closing, just receiving some sorely required new concrete, as alluded to by Beags, cos it's a bit worn and bumpy at the mo! That tends to happen when you've got lots of big fat jets hammering into land (and that's just the captains' landings!).

DP Harvey
8th Mar 2005, 22:03
".....what they do at proper civil aerodromes, close the RW overnight to let the workers resurface it in sections."

There are potential pitfalls with that idea...as recently discovered in Iraq... ;)

Razor61
8th Mar 2005, 23:52
pitfalls

Yes, Quite Literally.... or did you put that in there on purpose?:p
Luckily all escaped without serious injury.

http://www.airdisaster.com/user-uploads/C130back2.jpg

http://www.airdisaster.com/user-uploads/C130Overview2.jpg

elderforest
9th Mar 2005, 12:04
Slightly off topic ...

but are the RAF aware of the new topsoil dispersal on the road which passes the traffic lights on 26 at Brize? One low flying Tristar and three engine changes later ...

Seriously, it has pants-ed the spotters and supporters of RAF Brize Norton. The only places to park now are in front of the crash gate or in the field right under the landing lights ...

Anyone know who actioned the 'filling in' procedure?

Ian.
(elderforest).

BEagle
9th Mar 2005, 15:11
No idea - and it's a bit of a shame as 'spotters' are on our side and mostly pursue their innocent pastime without affecting anyone. Plus if they saw a suspicious looking person in possession of possible Manpad, that'd probably be the first warning Plod would get!

No doubt there are a fair few gardeners who are delighted to know where there's some new, loose topsoil......:E

Razor61
9th Mar 2005, 15:22
Beagle,

Indeed, the Plod in the UK and USA are now actively asking all 'spotters' to log any suspicious looking vehicles, people and such around military airfields and civil airports and pass the details on to the Police as quickly as possible.

Chairborne 09.00hrs
9th Mar 2005, 18:26
Ppruners saying nice things about Spotters?

Whatever next.......................

Lafyar Cokov
9th Mar 2005, 18:28
...Ohhhh yeyyysss I spotted a man with a SAM 7 'Bravo' the other day - I knew it was a Bravo by the slightly canted steering fins and extra cooling inlet to the seeker head - I took the number of it down in my notebook - AET47739 - not a series you nomally see round these parts. I was going to enquire of its origins but the rather strange looking man just told me to 'Fug Off' - whatever that means....

etc etc etc. (Sorry couldnt resist)

bluetail
9th Mar 2005, 18:30
Razor61"
"the Plod in the UK and USA are now actively asking all 'spotters' to log any suspicious looking vehicles"

With my spotters head on, Manchester Airport (aka Ringway to the older chaps) now known as the best spotters venue in the UK (they actually positively encourage people to visit) have recently had a police poster put up so locals can help. Shame the rest of the country doesn,t have the same approach.

This is the link

http://www.ringwayreports.co.uk/spottinguide.htm

totalwar
9th Mar 2005, 22:07
Why do they need to close Brize in order to resurface the runway?

Does Heathrow close when they resurface the runway?

Tonkenna
10th Mar 2005, 06:18
Don't suppose LHR does close... but they have 2 runways.

I guess its better to move for 3 months and get the job done than be bu**ered about for 6 months by having to divert if you are a few mins late from the towline and the runway is shut.

As for going straight to Fairford or via Brize... well I suppose that one of the disadvantages of living miles away from your place of work. Better to get bused over in my opinion...

Tonks:)

Razor61
10th Mar 2005, 09:09
It's a bit better than being bussed from Mildenhall to Fairford and vice versa every day. Unless the USAFE flew a few here and there to Lakenheath and home when Mildenhall was shut for a few months.

6foottanker
10th Mar 2005, 15:15
Several years ago, they relayed the centre section of the runway at Bzn. They did the 'close at night for work' option, and by all accounts it worked ok, but i believe the whole runway is being done, and given the nature of 24 hr ops, it wouldn't be feasible to do it like that. However, they are probably still going to do it that way even if we go for the prefferred option, so jets can get in for maintainance and for repatriations.

MrBernoulli
10th Mar 2005, 15:44
I think they are going to go for the complete bolthole to Fairford. Will require a lot of work to set up but but will (hopefully) end up with the runway resurfacing job taking the shortest time.

Going to be a lot of teething troubles though!

BEagle
10th Mar 2005, 15:47
Hmm...

Aerodrome closed for resurfacing = no need for ATZ, let alone Class D CTR.

Some months using just the Class G MATZ at Fairford = examine need ever to restore Class D CTR?

Freddie-M
10th Mar 2005, 15:50
Beags,Trust you to start getting technical!! Hows that hairdressers car going?

6foottanker
10th Mar 2005, 18:55
Mr Bernoulli, what happened to that perfect job with the orange airline? You were surely in line for the top, with your corporate coloured hair and tache! ;)

BEagle
10th Mar 2005, 20:06
Pot-to-kettle, Freddie-M! That's pretty rich coming from the ex-Mr Teasy Weasy himself! Going fine, thanks mate - how's that plastic penis extension? Broken down very often?:p

I wish I'd known that my least favourite Gp Capt also owned one - it would have been great fun baiting plod and laying down doughnuts in Belfast Square in the middle of the night!

It's a good job that MrB's next boss (not the orange one) did away with Ayling's stupid tails, otherwise he'd have to dye his hair in a punk scheme. Perhaps you could advise.....

Back to the plot, Cupid, I wonder how much compensation, travel allowance or contract re-negotiation all the civvy contractors with a contract to work at Brize will receive should they be 'asked' to work at Fairford instead....??

allan907
11th Mar 2005, 01:14
In summer 1974 the whole of the runway was redone. The bolt-hole was Fairford. It worked then, should work now. Presumably the wheel will have to be re-invented though as all the files have probably been binned ages ago.

old developer
11th Mar 2005, 07:37
Bound to start from square one again......No Cyprus evacuation this time.....

bluetail
11th Mar 2005, 20:45
They can,t go to Fairford 'cos in July theres going to be an airshow.

Lionel Lion
12th Mar 2005, 11:04
Airshow......well the Tristars do a good static display at Brize :E

QuidProQuo
12th Mar 2005, 16:29
From what I hear, the work on the runway is not due to start until August at the earliest - might be a bit later. RIAT should therefore not be a problem. But its not just the runway being resurfaced, the lighting system is also being replaced which makes the job much more complex.

cuthere
12th Mar 2005, 17:09
Sept/Oct/Nov are the preferred months for COMPLETE closure of the runway for upgrading. VC10s/Tirstars are planned to go to Fairford with the C-17s operating out of EGDL. All PAX/cargo will be processed at EGVN, before being taken to Fairford/Lyneham.

Seems like all systems are go and it's actually going to happen!

bluetail
12th Mar 2005, 17:51
Why do people insist on using the ICAO codes when saying Lyneham (EGDL) and Brize Norton (EGVN).......muppets like me (even if I do admit to being a spotter) hate it.

Give us a break please

santiago15
13th Mar 2005, 15:41
bluetail,

This is the 'Military Aircrew' section of the 'PROFESSIONAL Pilots Rumour Network' right?

S15

BEagle
13th Mar 2005, 15:44
ICAO codes might be a pain, but they're more common amongst military aviators than the mover-speak IATA codes used by by people-tube drivers, wannabes and other klingons.

Personally I prefer to use plain language though.

bluetail
13th Mar 2005, 19:31
Plain Language........................now there,s a novelty

S15............Professional ??..............I suppose 30 years in the RAF counts then.... eh

XFTroop
13th Mar 2005, 23:37
bluetail!

Err ? 30 years service still doesn't make you aircrew boyo!
Go find a spotter forum, they probably speak language you understand!!

santiago15
14th Mar 2005, 15:56
bluetail

You did declare yourself to be a muppet!!

S15