PDA

View Full Version : BMI LHR problem?

aviate1138
8th Mar 2005, 07:34
Yesterday a BMI Baby A320 - BD164 - Palma - landed 20 minutes ahead of schedule and my other half was on board. Some hours later we were re-united. The delay was caused, apparently, BMI provided scant information, by a problem with the Baggage unloader colliding with the aircraft. They said it was with the actual cargo/baggage door. If so, did that upset the ongoing schedules and I wonder how much it will cost to repair [if actually damaged].
The excuse for the 2.5 hour delay was that the Police? had to examine the accident, according to BMI, because the drivers Human Rights might be compromised in the event of him being fired!!!!

Am I going mad or has Political Correctness reached new Lows? Or was that an Instant Urban Myth?
Does much damage occur to BigJets in the 'on ground' phase?

A curious, strictly VFR, Pilot......

Aviate1138

phoenix son
8th Mar 2005, 07:39
Does much damage occur to BigJets in the 'on ground' phase?

'fraid so, much more often than any of us would like...Usually baggage belts/catering trucks/toilet carts and of course airbridges/jetways, all making "positive" contact with the airframe, causing different degrees of damage, from a "knock" that requires checking by the engineer, right up to incidents causing structural damage and requiring days in the hangar...

TopBunk
8th Mar 2005, 08:01
Aviate

All drivers who operate vehicles airside at LHR (and probably elsewhere) hold a special airside driving pass. In the event of an incident, the police will be called in to establish facts and take statements from those involved, which could lead to them losing their airside driving pass and their job as a consequence. All incidents are treated seriously because of this aspect.

In addition it could be that the airframe/door was damaged such that the luggage could not be easily retrieved.

Yellow Sun
8th Mar 2005, 08:02
aviate1138
BMI provided scant information, by a problem with the Baggage unloader colliding with the aircraft. They said it was with the actual cargo/baggage door.

BMI provided full and accurate information, what your other half was told was correct. I don't really see what else she could have been told. The aircraft was taken out of service for repair and a spare aircraft used to fill the gap created.

The incident has to be investigated fully, because the driver's job is possibly on the line and under certain circumstances court proceedings could ensue. The insurance company will require full details and the BAA will be involved. All this is summarised in one word "evidence". It is a function of the litigous times in which we live and the "never-never land" which industrial tribunals appear to inhabit. "Human Rights" has become a bit of a buzz word, but there is no denying that the driver is entitled to a fair hearing whatever the circumstances.

YS

southern duel
13th Mar 2005, 09:22
Incident happened on stand 116 at 13:30. An elevator damaged the forward hold while approaching the aircraft. It actually pushed the aircraft one foot towards the jetty which was attached at the time.
The aircraft "DU" was taken out of service for further inspection as was the Elevator. There was obviously a delay in getting the baggage offloaded.

Yes the Police do attend as do the BAA and both take reports and this in turn may lead to suspension of the airside drving permit. Also the AAIB are notified if there is substantial damage or an incident has occured with pax on board.

Not too many details can be given but i thought i would give you an update.
:ok: