PDA

View Full Version : Thundebird Advice

MadsDad
7th Mar 2005, 09:52
I've been using Firefox for a while and am very happy with it so I decided to switch to Thunderbird for e-mail handling (from Outlook). I installed it at the weekend and everything seems to be working fine except for one thing on the incoming mail.

When I receive mail I get a 'mail in local' pop-up but I can't, at that point, see the mail anywhere and to actually get it into the Inbox I have to use the 'Get Mail' button. What I would like is for the mail to be automatically read into the Inbox. I can't find anything about this in FAQ or Help (and can't see anything on the options that looks as if it would do this) so does anyone know how to do it?

Also one bit of advice. I switched ISPs last year when I moved to broadband. When I had the broadband in I switched my old account to a 'free' dial-up account to maintain the address and installed it as a second e-mail account so that I would still receive any mail sent to the old address (so I now had read/send on the new address and read only on the previous address). When I migrated the account setting were switched so Thunderbird was trying to send mail using the old account, and failing. It only took a minute to change the account but is worth watching out for if you are migrating a multi-account set up.

8th Mar 2005, 07:43
I ONLY use thunderbird and have two accounts on it. For the default account it fetches the mail directly into your inbox. The secondarey one has the little pop-up saying that there is mail. Which you then have to actually fetch from the server by clicking on the "get mail" button.

To set a account as your default account, go to
TOOLS,
ACCOUNT SETTINGS
and then select the adress you want to have as the default and click on the default button at the bottom of the account settings window.

And for multiple accounts: Just remember to change the settings under "outgoing server SMTP" The inbound setting would vary, depending on who your providers for the various accounts are, but the outbound settings stay the same for every account.
Hope that helps.

MadsDad
8th Mar 2005, 07:53
Thanks 126.

I suspect I've not got either of the accounts set as default (if that is possible). I'll check this evening.

I did fix the outbound account problem, just mentioned it as a notice to anyone else about to do the same migration (although exactly the same thing happened when I went from Outlook Express to Outlook - it took the secondary account as the outbound server rather than the account it had specified).

8th Mar 2005, 09:33
If you're interested in Mozilla's products, try the calendar software called Sunbird. Nice!!

Re Thunderbird: just fiddle around with the settings and options. Its a really great mail client. Very user-friendly!

Jhieminga
8th Mar 2005, 12:31
When I receive mail I get a 'mail in local' pop-up but I can't, at that point, see the mail anywhere and to actually get it into the Inbox I have to use the 'Get Mail' button. What I would like is for the mail to be automatically read into the Inbox. I can't find anything about this in FAQ or Help (and can't see anything on the options that looks as if it would do this) so does anyone know how to do it?
Go to 'Tools' - 'Account settings'
For the account that is misbehaving, select 'server settings' and tick the box next to 'Automatically download new messages'.

That should solve your problem.

Tinstaafl
9th Mar 2005, 13:39
Its also possible to have mail from several accounts delivered to the same Inbox. Can't remember the setting(s) but there's plenty of info. about it on the Mozilla website.