PDA

View Full Version : Help-RAF ATC or ATPL?

lm1148
6th Mar 2005, 19:15
Just wandering if any of you out there have any wise words?!

I graduated from uni last summer and as a bursar have accepted a SSC as Ops Spt - ATC.

I've had some time off and delayed entry until May 05.

So, with just over 2 months until IOT I really need to make a decision. I've been involved with the RAF since A-levels etc.. and accepted sponsorship to keep doors open along the way...now it's crunch time! Due to functional reach I couldn't go aircrew so accepted Int and then ATC.

I've always wanted to fly and get into civvy aviation...I've been drawn in by the RAF though over the last few years and I need to decide whether to go through with the RAF plans as ATC which I don't really have a burning desire to do or pull out before IOT and self fund an ATPL - which would involve a 60K loan + pay back of RAF bursary + no guarantee of a job! The other option perhaps - to go RAF and take a modular route to ATPL whilst serving or start ATPL after SSC is up.

I want to be an officer in the RAF, want the life style, the opportunities etc.. but don't know if I can handle ATC whilst people are buzzing around in the sky where I want to be!

Anyone with any wise words out there, any thoughts would be gratefully received by a maiden in distress! :confused: I know the decision is up to me but it helps to get inputs!

facsimile
6th Mar 2005, 19:48
I spent 12 years in the RAF and a further 25 years to date flying for a UK airline. Loved nearly every minute of it but as in all things there have been many changes over the past few years. There are certainly plenty of flying opportunities available at the present time but do you want to fly right now, how about a short career in ATC to possibly fund your ATPL at a later date. You never know you maybe grateful later for the second string to your bow.

fax

SirToppamHat
6th Mar 2005, 20:26
I always wanted to fly RAF but Medics said no. Would have gone ATPL but simply couldn't afford it. I simply accepted it was not possible, but sometimes wonder what might have been ...

Then again, like you, I also wanted a commission in the RAF. I went for FC and have not regretted it (mostly ;)).

I have to say, in all honesty, that if you want to fly then you must take whatever opportunity (mil or civ) that presents itself. RAF ATC may provide you with time and money to make progress towards ATPL, and I would guess you will be a better pilot for it.

The other way will get you to ATPL quicker, but at what risk? I suspect that with the way licensing is going, the ATC ticket may provide a very useful fallback, either to return to the RAF or take to Civvy Street .

Whatever decision, good luck!

STH

frodo_monkey
6th Mar 2005, 22:26
Check your PMs (personal messages) lm1148...

I'm sure we know each other quite well!

Frodo_Monkey

Helibelly
7th Mar 2005, 07:09
Toss a coin, at least that way you won't blaim yourself. Seriously try a short commission then decide if you want to stay in, try for a cross over or fly civi.
Good luck!

BEagle
7th Mar 2005, 07:27
Try to get posted to somewhere which has a RAFFCA flying club, then train for a PPL with IMC and Night Qualifications. Build your hours until you've qualified to start a modular CPL course with distance learning ATPL exam theory.

All of which you can do whilst in the Service.

Just before you leave, take your ME IR and MCC, then you will have a 'frozen ATPL'.

But before doing any of the above, make sure that you can hold a JAA Class 1 medical certificate!

Canary Boy
7th Mar 2005, 11:50
Top tips, as ever, from BEags... A word of caution; if you are not completely committed to the RAF and ATC you will find the training very arduous indeed. Good luck!

tired-flyboy
7th Mar 2005, 14:05
I was in the same boat as you!

Functional arm reach was mm under the requirement and was offered ATC instead!

I really didn't know too much about the job except it had something to do aircraft.

So SSC accepted and off i went. I had a great 6 years and managed to get my ppl and night when i was in.

Now left and the cost of an ATPL is still a bit prohibitive and so have gone into civi ATC to open further doors (via the wage!)

RAF ATC is great (or at least it was when i controlled), but as Canary Boy says the course is hard.

If you need anything else PM me!
:ok:
TFB

lm1148
7th Mar 2005, 18:18
BEagle

Yep - another possibility about distance learning ATPL theory and posting where there's a flying club.

Don't need too many more hours on my PPL until I can embark on modular CPL/IR so this could be an option! As you mention though, haven't got round to checking my class 1!

Thanks