PDA

View Full Version : Arc De Triomphe

Jawnee
5th Mar 2005, 20:27
Is there ANYONE out there who knows if pilots in WW II actually flew through the Arc de Triomphe? Apparently there is video footage "somewhere" that claims they did. If anyone has any photos of this, I'd be very grateful!

thanks much

Loki
5th Mar 2005, 20:44
I believe a Beaufighter made a very low pass down the Champs Elysee during WW2....but no knowledge of the Arc incident.

andymac
5th Mar 2005, 20:59
slightly more modern, but I'm sure I've seen a photo of a Rallye being flown through the Arc. Nothing noted on internet searches though.

Skylark4
5th Mar 2005, 22:02
The Rallye went through the Eiffel Tower.

Mike W

TheOddOne
5th Mar 2005, 22:10
...and DEFINITELY the Arc de Triomphe

TOO

Jawnee
6th Mar 2005, 01:19
Thanks gents.... anyone else got anything "concrete" on this flight through the Arc? If it's indeed true, I'd love to have some hard facts (and photos)

J

cringe
6th Mar 2005, 08:40
Found a mention of three flights (sorry, no photos):

At 7:30 on Aug 7th 1919, Charles Godefroy flew through the Arc de Triomphe in an Nieuport XXVII, in a protest against the insufficient role the aviation was given in the July 14th parade.

After his unauthorised flight through the Arch de Triomphe in October 1981, Alain Marchand was fined and had his license suspended.

On Aug 16th 1991, a Mudry Cap 10B was flown through the Arch de Triomphe and then through the Eiffel Tower.

Atcham Tower
6th Mar 2005, 08:46
I read somewhere that quite a Few French fighter pilots flew through the Arc during the First World War. Wing tip clearance is minimal even for a SPAD! The Beaufighter dropped a weighted tricolore flag on the Arc and shot up the Gestapo HQ etc etc in a morale-boosting stunt for the French in 1942. Pilot's name was Gatward but I don't have the rest of the details to hand.

Skylark4
6th Mar 2005, 11:28
The Eiffel Tower was a Bonanza.

http://www.airandspacemagazine.com/asm/web/site/QT-HR/Eiffel.html

Mike w