PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Help Please

Mishandled
5th Mar 2005, 12:23
I have installed a wireless adsl router at a friends house (belkin), and managed to connect her laptop (windows xp pro) to it successfully, (accessing the internet successfully), and also my laptop (windows xp home). I then attached a belkin USB wireless adapter to her desktop pc (PII running win 98se). The desktop recognises the adapter, finds and connects to the network (getting an IP address from the router successfully) But I can not get access to the internet. I have spent hours on the phone to belkin, reinstalling the adapter, unplugging/plugging it etc. I have checked the LAN connection setting in internet explorer, (set to receive ip automatically), but still no internet access, which was the whole point of buying the access point in the first place.
I have disabled all other adapters in the device manager

Now I know i could solve the problem by buying a NIC but I don't want to waste any more of her money, if I can resolve it without buying anything else.

Do you experts in prune land have any tips that you could give me?

(Oh and one other irritation is that I do not have a windows 98se disk, as she bought the computer from her workplace. I don't even know whether you can buy windows 98se any more (UK))

Thanks for all/any help.

Mishandled

Zulu_One
6th Mar 2005, 10:03
Mishandled,

You say you get on the network but cannot access the internet, correct ?

In that case have you set your DNS server address from your ISP in your tcp/ip settings ? This would explain the problem.

If not it would be helpful to have more info, can you ping any internet addresses/ your DNS server ?
If you goto the command line and punch in 'ipconfig /all' and paste that here it might provide more info :cool:

Z1

Keef
7th Mar 2005, 00:45
I've had similar problems with Belkin kit: if it works, fine. If it doesn't. fixing it is extremely time-consuming and may not work at all.

If the desktop PC is anywhere near the router etc, I'd go for a hard-wired connection rather than wireless.

Zulu one's questions are the right ones - try that and see what you get.

GolfWhiskeyKilo
7th Mar 2005, 11:35
What about proxy settings?

WK

stickyb
7th Mar 2005, 16:51
On the windows 98 machine, in IE, Click tools/Internet Options.
Then select Connections tab.
You probably have a dial connection highlighted as the default, which is OK, just make sure Never Dial a connection is selected below that.
Then cliuck LAN settings, and make sure nothing is selected on the next page.
OK all the way out, and try that.