PDA

View Full Version : Format of burning hours?

ikea
4th Mar 2005, 19:04
Hey, im looking at gettign 100 hours on top of the PPl-Night-Multi.

Ive read that I have to fly a min. of 5 hours per day in orde to comeplete this.

How woul I burn hours? DO you just fly in circles over the airfield. Or do you actually go places?

Five hours is a long time to be on the go, so im guessing that you stop off somewhere?

FYI Its based at Ormond Beach.

dann1405
4th Mar 2005, 19:57
Let me put it this way: if you fly round in circles overhead the airfield, what exactly are you going to learn?
The whole point of hour building is to gain experience and the only way to really achieve this is to push yourself outside of your comfort zone. Hour building is not just about putting numbers in a book, it is about developing yourslef as a pilot. Gaining your PPL is just a ticket giving you the ability to go off and learn. If you're getting 100hrs as a block why not go off somewhere for a couple of weeks?
I'm assuming that you are going on to do your CPL from the nature of your post, so ask yourself this: if you were a flight crew employer looking at a number of low-hours candidates which one would you select, person A) has 250hrs of dual and local area flying or person B) has 250hrs but has flown solo across the USA, been to place a, place b, really done some interesting flying, probably learnt a lot in the process.
Moreover, as a pilot, why would you want to spend 100hrs "killing time?" I have never flown in the US but there must be some beautiful places to fly and see, so go do it!

ikea
4th Mar 2005, 20:33
ah excellent, thats kinda what I was wanting to hear! Lots and lots of airfields in florida too. Maybe I can go to Disney world :-) yeah, i thought it would be pretty pointless just oing nothing. Im doing this training, then ATPL theory home study, i hope! fingers crossed

jamino
4th Mar 2005, 21:34
theres a greater no fly zone around disney than the white house...;)

CAT3C AUTOLAND
4th Mar 2005, 23:55
Furniture, kitchens, beds and chairs,

Do you really think that flying around in circles in going to do you much justice?

Why not put it to good use and start to practice some of the commercial course, flying to greater accuracy, timed turns, take a safety pilot and practice instrument flying, do some worth while cross countries.

Enjoy it.

liftdrag
5th Mar 2005, 01:08
Go and have fun with it.

There is a solo x-country requirement for your CPL get it out of the way. Then get some instruction in instrument flying before you go, and then practice as much instrument flying as you can. Fly the airway even in VFR, do a holding pattern, practice a ILS, VOR, NDB and do several full approaches with procedure turn at every airport you go to. You can do this without and instrument rating as long is it is VFR and you know what you are doing. Best of all get a rated safety pilot with you and put a hud on.

Fly to Colorado, Arizona, and California if you can. You will have a lot of fun and learn a lot.

Have fun

Charlie Zulu
5th Mar 2005, 08:06
Hi The-shop-that-I-never-take-my-sister-into,

Fly from Florida across to L.A. and back. Interesting places along the way such as Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, Houston, New Orleans, Big Bear City etc etc...

Whilst hour building, fly with strict adherance to altitude, heading and speed control. Practice PFLs, Maneouvers. Go night flying. Practice precision landings in all sorts of winds. Learn some FAA maneouvers if you feel inclined (chandelles, lazy eights etc). Do an aerobatics course. Maybe some formation flying (with appropriate training).

Overall enjoy yourself but as other people have said, push yourself a little (safely though). Please don't just bore holes in the sky over the same airport day in, day out.

My next flying trip will probably be from Florida up to New York (Teteboro), across to Chicago (wish Meigs was still open) and back to Florida via New Orleans. Then if I have time will probably take a few days bimbling over to the Bahama's. Probably going to take a Seminole as I would like some more multi time.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

PS. I'm FAA IR rated. Hint Hint (but am a little busy this year I'm afraid).

jimbo jet set
5th Mar 2005, 14:48
ikea,
I'm in the same position as you and I'm off to Florida next week to build some hours. I'm going from Kissimme all the way round the Gulf of Mexico (New Orleans, Houston, Corpus Christi) then up to Dallas and back across to Savannah before returning to KISM. Should burn up about forty hours by the time we've finshed a tour of the Keys etc.

Hope to have a laugh and practice all aspects of CPL syllabus along the way to sharpen my skills up,

Jimbo

Keygrip
5th Mar 2005, 14:55
By the way - if you haven't left home to go to Ormond yet, cancel all those plans and ideas until AFTER you've done all the written exams (and passed them) and done the class 1 medical.

ikea
5th Mar 2005, 20:48
got my class one already. but yeah, dont count your chickens before they hatch, wise words!

<<edit: I was actually thinking NOT ONLY what if you have trouble passing the exams, but why get all your flight experience now (answer - because it's cheap and more fun) and then stop flying for six to nine months whilst you do the written papers. At the end of that time, you'll be rusty as hell and may need some extra training just to bring you up to the level of competence to start the CPL course. Do the exams first, then assuming you pass, do the flying at a school that will structure your flying towards the requirements (as has been said above) followed immediately by the CPL course.>>

ooh, brain wave! I could visit every ikea store in the US :O! what fun! i always do look for the stores if im flying in to a city which has a store! hehehe. im sad , i know! :sad:

Piltdown Man
6th Mar 2005, 08:44
ikea - with a post like this, I'd really suggest that you might be working toward career which would be in-appropriate for yourself. I don't know of any real pilot who had a problem finding something worthwhile to do in any trip, no matter who supplied the brief (themselves or a third party!). Try something which doesn't tax your imagination too much.

Charlie Zulu
6th Mar 2005, 09:22
Pressman,

NAC have a Seminole which I completed my Multi rating on.

Already been speaking to them (a while ago) and they'd have no problems in me taking it away for a week or two as long as the aeroplane is flown at least four hours a day on average. I'm quite flexible on when this will be during the year so will fit in with their student schedules.

To fly the Seminole solo, they require over 300 hours total time including 25 hours of multi including a completed nac multi course. If you haven't completed your multi at nac then it'd be 50 hours multi including 10 hours on a PA44.

Interested in a trip yourself?

All the best.

Charlie Zulu.

ikea
6th Mar 2005, 10:12
im doing ATPL prep, i want all the hours required, so if/when ive compelted ATPL GS I can go get my CPL/IR/FI here in Europe. No expensive hours building. Having spent lots of time (ive been looking since i was 16-im now 21) I believe this is the best approach for me to do it, and represents the smallest (yet still massive) financial risk.

Out of interest, how about landing fees? If you visit a lot of airfields, will this not ad lots of extra expense to the cost?

Here at NCL we have our flying school back, i beleive, so im either going to fly a few hours a month there, im doing mt ATPL distance learning, ,and working ful time in my namesake, so ive worked out that I could, in theory get up for a few hours a month, not much, but just enough to keep the skills up-its better than nothing I guess. Teesside (i refuse to use the new name!:D) has a flying school too, and I believe there may be plans for Full Sutton to get a club too, so weve a few schools/airfields to keep me going