PDA

View Full Version : Advantages of flight instruction

cosworth211
4th Mar 2005, 13:31
Hi, I recently completed my PPL, I'm looking to turning my love of flying into a career.

I am on the verge of putting a deposit down with EFT's Airline Pilot Program, with the view to starting in September once I've finished university.

One of the key things that attracted me to this program was the 18 month period as a flight instructor, within which the aim is to achieve 1500 hours, of which 200 are multi engine.

In the real world how much will this improve my chance of securing airline work? Is it worth putting in the 18 months away from home on a pittance, or would the time be better spent in the UK as a 2-300 hour pilot sending CV's out left right and centre?

Any advice is much appreciated. :ok:

FlyingForFun
4th Mar 2005, 13:59
Don't know all that much about EFT's program, but I did my CPL there and I do know they are a good school.

However, 18 months is a huge chunk of your life to be doing something you don't really enjoy. The only reason for becoming a flight instructor is because you want to instruct. If you are doing it for any other reason, you may well end up resenting it, which isn't fair to you or to your students.

I've been instructing for a little over 6 months now, and I absolutely love it. I knew I'd enjoy it, that's why I did my FIC before my IR. Yes, money is tight, but I get by - and if it wasn't for the lack of money, I'd be quite happy to become a career instructor.

FFF
-------------

cosworth211
4th Mar 2005, 14:10
I am looking at it from the perspective of improving employment potential, is the advantage of having those extra hours (which will all be earned on 172's, Warrior's + Duchesses) worth 18 months of my life or would I be better off leaving the scheme once qualified and joining the hunt for paid aviation work?

I will be 28 once qualified so will be at the limits for some carriers already, will be 29 if I work for EFT as a flight instructor.

Thanks.:O

arpansingla
4th Mar 2005, 14:33
Hi there,

I'm 16 at the moment and was in talks with EFT about their course. It seems unreal that you will have 1500 hours at the end of the course, surely this must mean you are more experienced, and from what i have heard from people on pprune is that experience is highly regarded in terms of employment with airliners. However, with most other FTO's, you will end up with probably 225 hours average, hence with EFT you are getting about 6 times the number of hours. However, what i am unsure about is: is the 18 months just for the flight instructor training, or does this period include time for all of your other qualifications such as CPL/IR etc?

Regards,

Arpan

cosworth211
4th Mar 2005, 14:43
From my understanding once you have completed the MEP, ATPL, CPL, IR etc you finish with around 285 hours (the APP course included hour building). If you then so wish you work for EFT as one of their instuctors for upto 18 months training the new cadets in the various ratings, until you reach the magic 1500 hour mark.

What I would like to know from people in the industry is the value of the flight instructor phase in relation to the time it will take, as hours earned on a 172 are worth a tiny fraction of jet hours.

Would I be better off leaving before the flight instructor phase and dedicating 100% of my time to gaining employment in the UK?

I would be able to apply for jobs through this instructing stage, but I would be disadvantaged as I would be Florida based and would have to fly back to England if I was lucky enough to get an interview.

VisaGeeza
4th Mar 2005, 14:59
To be honest, an FI with 1500 hrs is a more attractive prospect than a 285hr pilot. At least working as a FI you will remain "current" and what if you don't get a job straight after getting a FATPL? - a very realistic prospect. Certainly a FI with twin time is much more attractive to prospective employers.

Don't expect to be jetting back from Florida to attend interviews on a daily basis, interviews just don't come up that frequently!

Personally, I believe that you are much better off looking for work from the position of a 1000hr+ FI than from a non aviation job with much less total time or currency!

daw
4th Mar 2005, 14:59
Just some quick points for you to consider:-

- have you seen a draft of the contract and does it expressly state that you will get 1500 hrs including 200 multi? What if you don't? Will you have paid all of your money up front or can you withhold some if the school doesn't live up to your expectations?

- it's a long way from home and your friends if you get lonely

- have you fully checked out the visa situation? My very limited understanding is that it is time based. Therefore say if things are going real slow at the school and you only have had a chance to get 1,000 hours then you might have to leave the country regardless of whether the school might need you.

I have been to my fair share of FTO's in the US (but not EFT)doing hour building and my PPL and run into instructors from all 4 corners of the globe. None of them seemed run off their feet with students. Also the availability of multi hours were thin on the ground and generally went to the longest serving instructors.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

cosworth211
4th Mar 2005, 15:07
You do not pay for the flight instructor part, you work as an EFT employee and receive renumeration ($10 an hour), the hours aren't guaranteed. A friend at my local flying club went through EFT using the modular route and was asked to be an instructor for them because they were so short (this is normally only available to cadets on integrated courses), I hope this is still the case when Im out there!

I appreciate that a current FI with 1000+ hours is a benefit, what I am trying to ascertain is the value of that benefit when considering airline recruitment, for eg in 18 months I could have worked full time in another indusrtry and nearly saved enough for a type rating, or purchased some sim time

arpansingla
4th Mar 2005, 15:23
Quote from EFT website regarding their APP course:

"EFT's track record in training future airline pilots is unequalled - 95% of our graduates have successfully found employment with an airline in less than six months. We can help you realise your dream, too."

I'd say they're quite confident, but is there any proof?

cosworth211
4th Mar 2005, 15:38
Id be interested in knowing if its propoganda or founded statistics. Next time Im in contact with them I'll ask!

VisaGeeza
4th Mar 2005, 17:37
Yes, good idea! they can then give you the propaganda about founded statistics!:D :D

Soliciting Stu
4th Mar 2005, 18:31
Somewhere else on these forums, a very valid point has been made regarding EFT's Airline Prep. Programme.

I cannot recall the exact wording, but the person has stated that if EFT trains 4 instructors every month, will they not at some point be over-run with instructors?? Will there be enough hours to go around everybody?

Something to think about.

Edited because I have just found the link http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=165487

B2N2
6th Mar 2005, 16:06
In my opinion fwiw the best way of doing things.
A couple of pointers though;

-You need a J1 visa to legally work in the US
- The J1 visa is NOT bound to the school
- Get a garantee that if they don't or can't or won't employ you, you can pack up and work somewhere else, other places pay better too.
-Zero to CFII should take about 6 months which leaves you with 1.5 years to work as a CFI.
-A J1 visa can not be extended, once it runs out you need to leave and connot be eligible for another J1.
- Spend your time wisely, the more instrument students the better, those are the skills you need.
- File and log IR training flights as IFR so you build up your IFR time.
- Multi time generally goes to the most senior instructor (right fully so), so at some point you may want to buy some multi time so budget for that also.
- It's hard work but very rewarding, the best MCC course you will ever do.
Where else will you get to fly with perfect strangers on the left seat and you have to make it work?
-You will mature tremendously in your attitude and aeronautical decision making.
PM for more details/ info.

:ok: