PDA

View Full Version : Joburg traffic

krobar
4th Mar 2005, 12:06
A lot of rumours have gone around about reducing traffic into Joburg Intl.
Appart from Lanseria expanding terminals and airspace, word has it the Freeway airstrip north of PTA is up for Intl. status.
Any other interresting news?

PAXboy
4th Mar 2005, 12:29
This is a reply from a mere pax but with some understanding of business and paxing (40 years worth).

Answer = Unlikly to make any differance. If the strip is opened up, if Lanseria takes more, the traffic into FAJS will just increase to take advantage of the empty slots.

People want to go to the port with the greatest number of connections. Those that want internal routes only might like to use Lanseria but, on the times that they are connecting, they want JNB. This splits the traffic and makes it more difficult for a carrier to maintain ops at a smaller field. Only once the overall traffic levels have reached a much higher level, can a secondary field make a good living. In the meanwhile. They can take some charters and some biz jets, which is all to the good.

--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Little One
5th Mar 2005, 08:16
reducing traffic into Joburg Intl

Now that would be great and I could go back to having quiet days at work again.

Actually everything is being geared to increase traffic into JNB. Started last monday Construction of RET (Rappid Exit Taxiways) The new E apron which in all honesty is only going to gain ACSA 1 parking bay but the 5 reconstucted bays are rumoured to be A380 able

Projects on the cards at ATC to have 3nm separation entrail on final instead of 5nm New Sids/Stars were supposed to up cappacity and a program called Maestro that supposedly works out an optimal inbound sequence with little wastage of airspace. Still have to see haw that will work.

krobar
5th Mar 2005, 22:07
guess the days of flying the R22 over Jhb Intl. are counted...
From what I've heard lanseria's airspace is going to increase, closing the gap between FALA and waterkloof's airspace. Major headache for all those trainers cruising throught there on there way to the GF. Students from GC will have to learn what controlled airspace is like.
:uhoh:

Bravo Echo November
6th Mar 2005, 06:05
I think a big improvement would be to seperate faster and slower traffic on departures. I see SAX is doing early turns after departing off 03L and this saves huge amount of time for the faster guys.