PDA

View Full Version : Sponsored ATPL or Self-funded and Job security.

RichardThacker
4th Mar 2005, 10:52
I am currently a final year student at Bristol Uni, studying Economics. I am faced with a few decisions at present and would very much appreciate some feedback, as i really do not wish to enter the London rat race in investment banking or accountancy!

At the moment the options seem to be sposorship through placements such as CTC wings, athough I heard today I was unsussesful. This has not discouraged me in seeking other sponsorships, although there seem to be very few offered, is this still the case? I have read in the forums about Britannia and flybe. Are these still available? My grandfather was a captain for Britannia for 15yrs after the RAF, will this help?.

The other option is self sponsorship, I am willing to work extremely hard and work from home for a couple of years to fund the training and exams. My parents can support me to quite a degree, although i would rather not give them this burden. Also is there a strong chance of getting a job with an airline at the end? Do airlines prefer to train their own pilots?

Finally I have considered the RAF, although the commitment is very long. However i hear the placements into long haul flying for airlines such as Virgin can be very attractive at the end. Are jobs for such airlines taken by mainly by ex-RAF?

Thanks

Richard