PDA

View Full Version : Help with rebuilding a PC

fueldump
4th Mar 2005, 08:34
Hi, I am about to try and update my old PC. This will involve me salvaging as many parts from my old system. So bear with me because I am a complete novice with this.

I have just purchased an AOPEN MX46-88N motherboard (from ebay) and my question is what else do I have to buy to make it work? I appreciate that Iwill have to buy a PCU, but any advice on which one. Do I need a fan to cool it down? As I said I am a complete novice so any advice (helpfull) would be great. I anly want the PC for web stuff etc I don't need a gaming PC.

Thanks in advance

Fueldump:ok:

pilotwolf
4th Mar 2005, 11:02
What spec was your old system?

PW

Stoney X
4th Mar 2005, 11:56
fueldump,

If you purchase a new processor then it will come with a fan so no need to worry there. Two things I can think of that you will need to check. Does your new MB use the same spec memory as the old and does your psu (power supply unit) have the correct plugs. Older psu's don't have the processor plug that is now needed. A new one will cost £15-£20.

Regards
Stoney

fueldump
4th Mar 2005, 16:00
Pilotwolf, sorry I have got no idea sorry. I hope to open the thing up this weekend:bored: It was/ is a Tiny computer. I will have a look at the spec when I get it and post it here.

Thanks
Fueldump

Thanks Stoney I guess I will find out when I open it up if the conectors will fit.

rotorcraig
4th Mar 2005, 16:39
If you do a Google (http://www.google.co.uk) search on something like "build you own" motherboard cpu you will find loads of sites that take you through what components you need.

You will also find explanations on what needs to match (eg PSU must be compatible with Motherboard, Motherboard must be compatible with both CPU and RAM, etc).

Haven't posted direct links to any here as, they are all invariably online PC shops who want you to buy your new bits and pieces from them!

RC

fueldump
4th Mar 2005, 17:01
Thanks again, I am looking for the cpu at the moment. One question I have is does it matter what FSB speed it is? Also the P4 seems a lot more expensive than the celeron. What are the thoughts about the celeron?
Thanks again

pilotwolf
4th Mar 2005, 17:01
was thing along the lines of do you have:

Floppy drive, modem, ACP cadrd etc...

Useful to know what memory you have and what size hard drive too...

You probably won't need to buy much.

PW

fueldump
4th Mar 2005, 17:26
Sorry Pilotwolf, yes I have got a dvd floppy etc, So I intend to reuse them. I don't know if the RAM is compatible with the new motherboard. I guess I will find out when I get it. When I do open it I will post what is already in.
thanks yet again
fueldump

spannersatcx
4th Mar 2005, 20:10
If you purchase a new processor then it will come with a fan so no need to worry there Not true I'm afraid, a lot of CPU's (AMD in particular) come as OEM rather than boxed, if buying OEM then you would have to get a heatsink and fan seperately.

What does the MOB support intel or AMD, what type of memory does it support, does it support SATA etc etc, these things will be in the manual that will hopefully come with it.

I did a search for the MOB model you quote but could not find the model number you are saying the nearest I could find was a -800 not an 88.

I don't wish to sound rude but I think you should of done a bit of research first before buying!

fueldump
4th Mar 2005, 20:18
spannersatcx ,

you are probably right but hey ho fortune favours the brave ( or stupid) so they say. You are right it was the 800 model it was finger trouble on my behalf.

So thanks for replying if you have any other advice I would be gratefull to recieve it

regards

Fueldump
:O

pilotwolf
4th Mar 2005, 20:20
Whatever you end up buying its worth looking here (http://www.ebuyer.co.uk) as they re pretty cheap.

Have used them on numerous occasions and always been very happy with the service.

PW

fueldump
4th Mar 2005, 20:32
Thanks Pilotwolf I will have a look.

How do you get the "here" to take you to the web site by the way

cheers
Fueldump

pilotwolf
5th Mar 2005, 07:04
You should be able to double click on it...

or type WWW.EBUYER.CO.UK into the navigation bar.

PW

spannersatcx
5th Mar 2005, 07:38
Full details of the MOB can be found here AOPEN (http://www.aopen.nl/Products/mb/MX46-800N.htm) a downloadeable manual here (http://download.aopen.com.tw:/Default.aspx?nothing=nothing&sDropDownCategory=Manual&sDropDownModel=MX46-800N&Language=English&WebSite=NL)

If you are in the UK, some places to look are DABS (http://www.dabs.com) Planetmicro (http://www.planetmicro.co.uk) Microdirect (http://www.microdirect.co.uk) Novatech (http://www.novatech.co.uk)

It supports P4 CPU, AGP 8X, DDR 400 [PC3200] memory 2 slots, onboard sound, USB2, ATA133.

Not sure what the spec is of you original PC but you may well be better off buying a new case with sufficient PSU, approx £35, CPU and Memory. I recently did an upgrade on the kids pc although with an AMD 2800+ new case new mob and memory and it was around £200. You should be able to use all the peripherals that came with it i.e. floppy, HDD, CDROM cables etc.
You may well have to start afresh with the operating system as it doesn't always like big changes like this so back up all your important documents etc.

Binoculars
5th Mar 2005, 08:09
This has got to be a windup, surely?

Go to Belarc (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) run it and post the results here to give those who know what they're talking about something to work with. If you can't do that, you can forget about building your own computer.

....err, I don't include myself in that number btw, I'm just here to learn. But it sounds to me like someone saw a Ferrari gearbox cheap on ebay, bought it and now wants step by step instructions to fit it to their Ford, they're just not exactly sure what sort of Ford they have. Maybe I'm missing something? If so I apologise. :confused:

Spitoon
5th Mar 2005, 08:59
Also the P4 seems a lot more expensive than the celeron The best way to consider a Celeron is as a cut-down version of the P4. If your Tiny is a few years old either processor is likely to look like a huge improvement but if you compare a P4 and Celeron of the same speed, the P4 will run almost all programs faster. In the long run the P4 is probably the better buy.

The motherboard appears to have an on-board graphics adaptor but it looks as if it's pretty rudimentary so, unless your Tiny has a separate graphics card, you'll probably need one of these too. FWIW, all Tinys I've ever seen had on-board graphics.

Again, if your old computer is a few years old you'll probably need new memory too.

If the old one is not P4 based you'll almost certainly need a new power supply.

But the good news, floppy, DVD, hard disk, keyboard and mouse should be easily transferable to your new machine.

I would also recommend E-buyer - they have good prices, are reliable when it comes to delivery and are pretty good at returns if you have any problems.

Despite the odd comment from others, I'd wish you good luck in upgrading your computer - everyone who does it starts from your position. With a bit of help you should find that it's not too daunting!

fueldump
5th Mar 2005, 11:26
Thanks Spitoon

I am looking forward to delving into this. I am going to pick up the pc today it has been in storage due to moving house.(i'm using my company laptop to reply to you)

spannersatcx,

You have been a great help so far, I will keep you up to date on hows things are progessing

Binoculars, no this is not a wind up, I am just trying to do something that I have never tried before. I will try that website and let you know what the spec is

Kind regards

Fueldump

Stoney X
7th Mar 2005, 08:49
spannersatcx, I hear what you are saying about fans, but when I said If you purchase a new processor then it will come with a fan so no need to worry there I had already checked what processor fueldump's new md take (I presumed the 88 should be 800 so a P4) and also presumed that he wouldn't be buying OEM (and hoping he wouldn't buy the chip off eBay escpecially if the chip had been 'seperated' from the heat sink/fan).

fueldump, I'll PM details of an online shop to you that I highly recommend for both price and service, just in case you do need to get a few extra bits.

Regards
Stoney

Binoculars
7th Mar 2005, 09:00
I wish you the very best of luck!

fueldump
7th Mar 2005, 13:33
Hi guys I have bought P4 2.8MHZ WITH 533MHZ bus speed(whateva that means) I have got the pc now and will connect to the internet and post on here what the spec is ( as per binoculars suggestion) Thanks once again for all the suggestions and help
regards

Fueldump

mustfly1
8th Mar 2005, 10:04
Irecently upgraded my computer from a very good company, and no I have nothing to do with then. MCSCOM.co.uk Good prices and very helpful.

spannersatcx
8th Mar 2005, 10:36
with a FSB clock of 133mhz and a CPU of 2.8Ghz it uses a muliplyer to get from 133 to 2.8 in this case 21X133 = 2.8 which is the processor speed. The processor system bus of 533mhz is (I think) how fast the processor can calculate things internally, so a 533 processor bus will be quicker (in theory) than a 400mhz processor bus.

fueldump
8th Mar 2005, 19:44
Hi chaps,
just to keep you up to date. I have put the pc together and I am in the middle of formatting the harddrive! ( am I counting my chickens before they hatch?) I had a problem with the front power supply because the one on the case I was using was a non standard type. Anyway 5 mins at the local pc shop and £10 later for a new case and yippee do!

I don't think I am out of the woods yet, but fingers crossed.

So it looks like the ferarri gearbox has turned out to be a real mover:D
I will let you all know how the loading of the software goes.Thats if it loads ok.

Thanks for all the help guys from a complete and utter novice!

regards

Fueldump

fueldump
9th Mar 2005, 09:21
Hi guys,

I have managed to install windows xp. The pc does not seem to recognise that there are any cd/dvd installed. I guess this is because there are no drivers installed for these things.

I have also plugeed in an ethernet cable from my router (belkin wirless/cable). and it will not pick up the internet connection, so , I cannot get on line to update the drivers.

Has anyone got any idea's how I can get the pc to recognise the cd/dvd.

Thanks again

Fueldump:*

spannersatcx
9th Mar 2005, 17:19
MS knowledge base for missing cd/dvd after XP install here (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320553)

Internet - Is it the right cable? can you try it on another pc to make sure it works on that?

pilotwolf
9th Mar 2005, 17:32
Slow option but can you connect with a modem to download the updates?

PW

fueldump
9th Mar 2005, 18:35
Hi guys,

after lots of head scratching I managed to reformat the hard drive and then reinstall Wxp. I have now connected to the internet with the ethernet cable. I now need to figure out how to get the wireless connection working:* Anyway its way past wine o'clock so more pc malarky tomorrow.

Thankls again guys

fueldump:ok: