View Full Version : New Routes for CWL

bycrewlgw
3rd Mar 2005, 14:55
Just browsing the net and noticed 3 new routes for Cardiff.

Weekly in-bound charter flight from Zurich (Swiss chartered by Falcon Travel) bringing swiss travellers to Wales.

Winter services to Plovdiv (Balkan Ski) and Sharm El Sheik (Thomson Holidays)

Good news for the airport hopefully more inbound charters and scheduled airlines will follow suit!

BYCREWLGW

GrahamK
3rd Mar 2005, 15:05
Swiss ZRH-CWL (http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/0300business/0100news/tm_objectid=15251048&method=full&siteid=50082&headline=swiss-to-roll-in-on-charter-flight-name_page.html)
Link announcing the Swiss CWL - ZRH flights

CWL_Chris
3rd Mar 2005, 16:29
I had heard about the new routes to SSH and ZRH, however not the ski route. Still that has to be very good news too.

As for the ZRH flight, it says 97 flights per flight. I'm afraid I cannot think of any aircraft that has this number of seats.

Any ideas on what aircraft will operate this route and also what airline will operate it?

There is also news on further 6G expansion into IOM, BRU (once again) and also INV.

However, personally a link with London would be good. Don't forget that Air Wales also operate a number of code shares with BMIbaby on CWL-ORK, JER, PIK, CDG and BFS.

As for BMIbaby, there must be some room for flights to; NCE and MJV.

I would also expect that Zoom Airlines to increase routes from CWL if YYZ goes well (which it is doing).

Any news on that mystery airline starting up at CWL?

Regards,

Chris

Regards,

Chris

Sorry, just seen it is with Avro\'s!

bmibaby.com
3rd Mar 2005, 16:33
I presume that the swiss aircraft that will be operating the Cardiff to Zuerich route will either be a ARJ-100 or BAe 146-300. These aircraft, which operate with a mix of business & economy class seats usually seat between 90 & 100 passengers.

bmibaby are basing two Boeing 737-300 aircraft, and I believe they are operating a full schedule from here. There are no plans to expand from CWL in the forseeable future we are told, but the airline will continue to expand their co-operation with Air Wales, with 6G operating shorter & more frequent flights, whilst baby operates "leisure" routes like AGP & FAO.

No_Speed_Restriction
3rd Mar 2005, 16:34
Do me a favour. when you find out what new routes air wales are starting and when please tell the rest of us.

Yours truly,

The 6G Mushroom Brigade

CWL_Chris
3rd Mar 2005, 16:46
I am just stating what I have heard.

Regards,

Chris

No_Speed_Restriction
3rd Mar 2005, 16:50
I wasnt trying to be sarcastic. I actually meant it. Let me know when you know and ill pass it on.

Cheers,

Mushroom Boyo!:E

CWL_Chris
3rd Mar 2005, 17:05
Sure, no problem.

Well, Air Wales are getting 2x ATR72 and 1XATR42. So I cannot see why these rumors cannot be true?

Any chance of getting Aer Lingus at CWL?

Regards,

Chris

Turn It Off
3rd Mar 2005, 18:51
Looks like Balkan Holidays are getting in on it too!

1 New route to Varna and 2 to Bourgas.

Will they be Using T154s??

bycrewlgw
3rd Mar 2005, 19:11
Yeah it will be the TU-154 operating them. The second Bourgas is the Varna flight (sunday) with transfers from Varna to the Bourgas area. Doesn't seem to be a GVA flight next winter though which seems a bit disappointing - lets hope another operator will take it on !

As for EI operating to CWL don't think so somehow. DUB seems to sarurated at the mo between CWL and BRS. Cardiff could do desperatly with routes to Europe. Any further news on FR opening a european base at CWL like was anounced by M Oleary?

No_Speed_Restriction
3rd Mar 2005, 19:12
cwl-chris, i wonder how accurate your information on the 72 is.

bycrewlgw
3rd Mar 2005, 19:40
Zoom airlines have extended thier CWL - YYZ well into next winter the weekly flight continues onto LGW but hey its a first for CWL !!! Who knows next year it could be a year round operation! Bookings on this route must be seeling like hot cakes !!

chesck out www.flyzoom.com for further details!

BYCREWLGW

CWL_Chris
3rd Mar 2005, 20:20
cwl-chris, i wonder how accurate your information on the 72 is.

The ATR72 is definite, due to the high loads that CWL-CDG and CWL-DUB/ORK/PIK have. Three of these routes are ex-BMIbaby routes and when being operated by BMIbaby they were filling around 70%. So you can see where the added capacity is needed with the ATR72 and also the added speed.

The other ATR72 and ATR42 are to increase frequency and increase services.

Good news for the routes to Eastern Europe.

I would think that FR will be making another announcement on hub and route expansion later in the year (around October). I believe that CWL does have a good chance. BRS is out of the running due to EZY and their large operation and also lack of parking space.

There isn't enough market for 2 LCC's at BRS, however as BMIbaby has quite a reduced operation at CWL, FR and Baby may actually compliment each other and help stimulate growth in both carriers.

Also, look out for increased charter services later this year with charters to the Caribbean & Mexico.

Regards,
Chris

bycrewlgw
3rd Mar 2005, 21:25
Anything been released about the caribbean and mexico charters or is it just speculation ? Would be really good to see other longhaul at CWL - However, without putting too much of a dampner on things - can these routes be sustained? As most of us will remember the non start LTN-CWL-POP operated by Britannia just a few years ago! Hopefully the market will have changed! Any idea of the routes / airlines / tour operators involved?

BYCREWLGW

WindSheer
3rd Mar 2005, 22:29
Lets be honest, given the expansion that is going on all over the country - and indeed all over the globe, this Air Wales announcment is small talk.

As you can see from below, I am Welsh - I work at CWL, but come on some decent announcements need to come forth to keep CWL as a 'proper' airport.
Its just not happening at the moment.
Spend a few days at BRS and you will realise how far behind Cardiff is. The annoying thing is that it shouldn't be the case - Cardiff has been well established for years!

And the Zoom thing - they have just replaced Air Transat, no big deal!!

:ok:

No_Speed_Restriction
3rd Mar 2005, 23:14
I agree. yet another case of cwl dragging its heels....again.

TwinAisle
3rd Mar 2005, 23:26
Can I just pour some cold water on your musings?

It is difficult for me to explain to you how I know some of this - but many on here know me, if that makes sense...

the Zoom thing - they have just replaced Air Transat, no big deal!!

Couldn't agree more. Wondered when someone would say this!

The ATR72 is definite, due to the high loads that CWL-CDG and CWL-DUB/ORK/PIK have. Three of these routes are ex-BMIbaby routes and when being operated by BMIbaby they were filling around 70%. So you can see where the added capacity is needed with the ATR72 and also the added speed.

Ummmm, definite? I don't think so. Possible, yes. Definite, no.

Well, Air Wales are getting 2x ATR72 and 1XATR42

VERY unlikely. They may well possibly replace an aircraft or two with -72s, but this sort of fleet expansion will mean they need more routes.... and speaking of which:

There is also news on further 6G expansion into IOM, BRU (once again) and also INV.

IOM? Doubt it. INV? Possibly, knowing the mind of the Chairman. BRU? When hell freezes over perhaps - unless they have managed to get PSO on this route on the QT (unlikely with SN at BRS).....

There are no plans to expand from CWL in the forseeable future

Not what I have heard.... :ok:

TA

Stone Cold
3rd Mar 2005, 23:55
CWL _Chris Air Wales is not getting another ATR42 and has not had plans to do so. The ATR72 been put on hold may be scrapped.

Need to fill the ATR42 constantly before thinking of the ATR72 anyway.

bycrewlgw
4th Mar 2005, 09:08
Cant say anything about the 6G situation as I haven't heard anything about any expansion. As for the ZOOM situatuion - yes it is just taking over the Air Transat service but TS never operated in the winter season from Cardiff - so its 'not just' taking over, its doing more!!!!!

ALLMCC
4th Mar 2005, 10:33
Have heard a rumour that as 6G are operating all the Baby Belfast - CWL flights from the end of March, they are considering transferring to BHD as they did operate from there previously.

pipertommy
4th Mar 2005, 13:00
The only hope for Cwl is for FR to move in and get things moving, as this would see rapid growth!! Right prices , right routes and the pax will come !! Airport development don`t think so!probably more portacabins stuck in the remaining spaces airside.They even have some out front,love that image?:eek:

bycrewlgw
4th Mar 2005, 13:06
What happened to the plans of a new terminal at CWL? and the reports that by 2030 CWL would be handling over 10million pax per year? Can anyone see any of these being realized ? Hope both will but think its just wishful thinking !

Stall-Warner
4th Mar 2005, 20:08
10m pax was the most pessimistic projection provided by the DfT in last year's white paper...and did not take into account the lo-co growth patterns. this figure will be exceeded long in advance of 2030.
Keep optimistic!

MerchantVenturer
4th Mar 2005, 21:23
Not sure where the figure of 10 million came from.

The government's 2003 White Paper, 'The Future of Air Transport', suggests, "passenger throughput in 2003 should be approaching 2mppa and forecasts suggest that demand by 2030 could exceed 5mppa."

See para 6.8 in the attached DfT summary in below link.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_aviation/documents/page/dft_aviation_031499.hcsp

I do agree though that all this is little more than conjecture. Who, ten years ago, could have foreseen how busy the majority of regional airports would be now thanks to the low cost airline transformation of air travel in this country?

If Ryanair set up a base there pax figures would increase by 1 to 2 million in a couple of years for a start.

I would be amazed if CWL is not well, well past 5 million by 2030, not that I expect to be around by then to see if I am right. :eek:

WindSheer
5th Mar 2005, 10:37
It would be nice to see Ryanair come in for welsh people - not for the airport.

Would be the BMI thing over again, can I kiss your feet ryanair........

bmibaby.com
5th Mar 2005, 18:02
The problem for bmibaby is simply that the south-west has a lot of competition, and due to previous poor management decisions, the airline has not been able to get a firm footing in the market. A lot of routes have worked far better with the ATRs than with the 733s, and as such bmibaby will look more at leisure routes than business ones from CWL. There are currently no expansion plans for EMA/CWL/MAN with most effort for the next few months centring around the new BHX base, and possibly MME. At MAN/EMA big business routes are being transferred back to mainline or bmi regional, whilst at CWL routes which are better suited to 6G & their operation will be transferred to them.

But to go back to the main topic, does anyone know any more? :)

pipertommy
5th Mar 2005, 19:11
Sounds like a sinking ship!No forward progress.shame:(

alterego
6th Mar 2005, 12:37
Not a sinking ship, definitely.

Just stuck in the water with no rudder.

It's safe to say CWL will only grow in terms of replacing 500s with 300s in the foreseeable future. Air Wales also contributing to growth but that is it. BMI very happy with the status quo.