PDA

View Full Version : Line v Base Maintenance

xthread
3rd Mar 2005, 12:23
Hi all, new to this forum and need help already!
I will shortly have to explain to some Industry outsiders (tribunal) the differences between Line and Base Maintenance and why as a Line Engineer I don't fancy working in a hangar. Obviously I know the difference, most of you will as well.
How do I explain it though? HELP!

woderick
3rd Mar 2005, 21:55
This is probably going to seem a bit harsh but I assume that you are a B1 or B2 and not an A licenced person. An A licence is, in my view, just a certifying mechanic with limited capability and you might aswell stop reading now.
If you are going to tribunal then you imply some form of dispute, possibly to the point of dismissal.
My opinion is that you have no grounds. A Licenced Engineer, B1 or B2 is just that and it is the same qualification, Line or Hangar.
I am assuming that you are a Line Engineer that your employer has seen fit to move to a hangar environment, tough.
You should try, and if you don't "Like" the hangar then attempt to return to the Line environment, if this is refused then move on.
"not fancying" something is no reason for a tribunal to look favourably on unfair dismissal (reading between the lines)
I write this as someone with 30 years of line work forcibly moved to a Maintrol position which I didn't fancy, but two years later find even more of a challenge than line work for this B2.

Krystal n chips
4th Mar 2005, 07:33
Sorry to shatter your hopes, but if you have to ask for help as to how to make the distinction between a Line and Hangar based Engineer, then your chances of success at the Tribunal are less than zero. Doesn't say much for your legal representation either.

Much depends however, on why you are being transferred. Breach of contract ? personality clashes ? poor performance--your own that is ?----to offer but a few examples. If the issue is that you simply do not want to work in the Hangar--and your employer has decided otherwise, then you really have no case. you will simply join the ranks of the numerous others who have been transferred over the years from one working environment to another against their wishes.

sixmilehighclub
9th Mar 2005, 19:29
Write your list of pro's and con's for line work and the same for base. Then make it into sentences.

eg:
Hours: You like shiftwork as it suits your life.
Currency: You don't want to be out of practice on the line
Enjoyment: you like the challenge of handling turnarounds.
etc, etc...

WJman
21st Mar 2005, 14:14
Wheel changes at 3:00am at -10C

That's like a Godsend here. It's starting to warm up to about -10C, I can't wait!! Try a whell change at -30C blowing snow, and snowbanks around your a/c. It makes you a man I tells ya, or a nut job!! Cheers :ok:

aintsaying
25th Mar 2005, 04:24
There are four major parts to aviation (from an Aircraft Maintenance Engineers position).
1: Line Maintenance.
2: Hangar Maintenance.
3: Major modification.
4: Aircraft Manufacture.

I have taken the time to work in all these environments and they all have pro's and con's. I personally enjoy Line maintenance mainly because of the diversity and on the spot decision making.
Thats where I stay. Thats where I'm happy.

You might want to give the other department a go, you might like it. As a personal rule, I like to do hangar time on a new airframe before I get to the line, I find it pays off in the location department.

xthread
8th Feb 2006, 15:59
Hi all,
It's been a while since my original post but I thought I'd give you an update anyway. To make a long story short, I won! On all counts!
Base is not suitable alternative to line and even if it had been I had enough reasonable reasons to object.
So said the man at Statford Employment Tribunal. Game over.
Just a shame it took a year and a half of my life to get the result...

allthatglitters
11th Feb 2006, 11:59
"My idea of a dream job would be Line in the summer, Base in the winter (or whenever its cold or wet)"
I seem to rememeber a place like that, not so long ago.

sdcycles
11th Feb 2006, 14:37
:ok: Well done mate. Very refreshing to hear this news. People with the backbone to stand up for themselves are very rare in this industry. Usually a threat to further training and/or promotion or even dismissal is alluded too but not stated.

It's always a long process getting a legal result eitherway, and it's all too easy to be undermined and give up when listening to negative comments coming at you from erstwhile colleagues.

xthread
11th Feb 2006, 15:47
Thanks sdcycles, this particular company are very good at threatening/undermining and 'marking your card' but sometimes you have to stand up and be counted. It was a long and difficult case and a very stressful time but if I had to do it again I would! I can't advise anybody else to do the same, you have got to weigh up what you can live with and what you can't for yourself. As for the negative comments, I was kind of expecting them and don't mind, they helped me manage my expectations.

allthatglitters
12th Feb 2006, 01:42
"Hmmmm, me too, excuse me while I have a little cry now....."

Stop it you'll make me cry to...

mono
12th Feb 2006, 07:55
"My idea of a dream job would be Line in the summer, Base in the winter (or whenever its cold or wet)"
I seem to rememeber a place like that, not so long ago.

That job does exist. It's called contracting.:} :}

allthatglitters
12th Feb 2006, 09:31
That picture looks like me after a recent night shift.
Hence the name all that gliiters, as contracting positions do not always seem the be the job you were signed up for.:{ :{

whiskeyflyer
16th Feb 2006, 11:40
There are four major parts to aviation (from an Aircraft Maintenance Engineers position).
1: Line Maintenance.
2: Hangar Maintenance.
3: Major modification.
4: Aircraft Manufacture.

you forgot retrenchment/redunancy/airline closure:bored: