PDA

View Full Version : Please help me all recent or present QATAR Airways employees!

SMOUFW
2nd Mar 2005, 04:33
Hi all, my partner is starting a job in QATAR later this year and I am seriously considering applying for QA C/C - I know you all think this is a bad idea as I just heard a huge global cyber-sigh :oh: (I have been reading all of the bad, no terrible postings!) But I would like to know about the actual job, for example; how many days a week on average do you work? How many nights a week are you away? How long are the days? What holidays do you get? What kind of staff travel do they offer you and family? How much are meal allowances? Things like that. I am VERY easy going and tend to keep my nose clean and stay well out of company politics so I'm sure I can get along with everyone. And I really don't mind a bit of hard work (mind you, I won't be answering my phone on days off - that's for sure). So is there any chance for hapiness? I would really appreciate any positive (and maybe a little negative) feedback you can give me on the current situation. :confused:

Oscar.Francois
2nd Mar 2005, 15:28
...ummm.... I think the very last point "I really don't mind a bit of hard work (mind you, I won't be answering my phone on days off - that's for sure)" might be a bit troublesome to you. Right now they still don't have enough crew staff (...do they ever have enough? I think QR crew can understand that rhetorical question really well). They have asked staff to pick up the phone on days off and will issue the new memo about how they want staff swiping ID card whenever coming in the apartment or going out.

The reason being, I think is because since we're all called during our days off some people came up with the idea of telling them that they're still drunk from last night (and they have the right to do so because the roster says 2 nights OFF). Being able to check whether you've been in the residence from what time til what time can help them know if you really went out last night for a drink or not. And don't forget, it's Qatar not Dubai. We can't buy alcohol of we don't have licence and the only way to consume a few drinks is to go out to hotels...If you can take this easily, I think you should be ok.

Average working hours - depends. Might come home from Cairo flight in the morning and out again at night for another flight in Gulf. IF you happened to mess around with someone in head office, you might like to have 6 Doha-Cairo-Doha flights for a month. But on average, you should have 8 days off in a month. If not lucky, you might get the days off while you're away for lay over. Meaning you're there on duty, but while waiting 2 days before returning to Doha that's counted as DAYS OFF.

Flights like Singapore, Malaysia ...you might be away from Doha for up to 10 days. Not that you get to spend time to relax the whole 7-8 days there, but you also fly to elsewhere but come back to Singapore or KL for the end of the day to rest. That's normal, if you can't take this...I don't think you'll be quite happy to work.

ID tickets is a very interesting issue. All ID 90 tickets are not confirmed tickets and are subject to load (or should I say off-load...?) but that's normal since this applies to every airline. The ID 50 however, are also not confirmed tickets...for Qatar airline that's the way it goes. And I've been told that annual leave tickets are also not confirmed in case of full flight you get to be offloaded. They told us to buy another full fare firmed ticket because we have to come back to Doha 12 hours prior to your rostered flight, but I think once you've flew you'll learn alternatives with how to manage to come back without buying full fare. The question is, do you enjoy waiting for the transit in maybe Bahrain for 3-5 hours?

Discounted tickets imply to direct family members like father, mother, brothers, sisters, and own children. Mother gets ID 90 and ID 50 per year. You father however, gets 1 ID 50. Brothers and sisters, no matter how many there are, you get ...I think 4 ID 90 and that's it. So if you have 6 brothers you have to choose which one you love most LOL. But for yourself, any amount of ID90 3 months after date of joining and 1 ID00 six months after date of joining. Cargo rebate is 100kg per year.

Sick Leaves : no more than 14 days per year. 2 wks full pay, 4 wks half pay and up to 6 wks without any pay. All leaves not used cannot be carried forward or encashed. Other leaves include compassionate leave (2 days pay) and emergency/ unscheduled leave which still counts as SICK LEAVE.

Meal allowance depends on your destination and is not paid as cash in hand. At the beginning or end of month you'll receive it along with your salary and flight pay for that month.

Goodluck. And may both of you be very strong and patient.

strength
2nd Mar 2005, 18:22
I've got to be very honest with you!!! Joining QR is a big mistake, there are many airlines out there who do not treat you like a slave, you have no rights at all in QR and you can get fired for small, trivial things, the list is endless.

At QR I have seen myself how loyal, dedicated staff in all departments are treated, just look how few western crew stick it out over there.

I can go on for hours and hours about the airline, the service is fantastic but you work bloody hard and most crew live in fear(the feeling of going to work as if it is your last day is not nice).

What ever your career options are I wish you the best, but please take my advise as an ex-QR employee......DON'T DO IT!!!

If you want to go and work in the gulf, go for Emirates.

ozzychick
2nd Mar 2005, 21:30
Thanks so much for your replies Oscar & Strength - by the way, I have my own username now, SMOUFW is my partner. There is a lot of interesting information for me to consider there. Sounds like they are real slave drivers hey! Can I ask what average salary per month I can expect including allowances? I am going to look at other jobs in Doha and compare rates. Also, can you tell me if there are currently many Aussies or Kiwis employed there at the moment? Do you think they prefer you to be single? Thanks again for taking the time to help me ;)

fourplay
3rd Mar 2005, 04:37
I have read in several places that fire can be very hot and burns.
I have even been told about this from people with direct experience with fire.
Yet I still seem to want to see if fire really burns and if so how much?

Sound familiar? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Oscar.Francois
3rd Mar 2005, 19:45
Ozzychick, I might PM you instead. Please check your Private message box.