PDA

View Full Version : passwords

RAC/OPS
1st Mar 2005, 21:38
Hi there.
Does anyone know how to make my pc remember a password? I usually get a prompt that it can remember it, but my email provider has just updated their site and i didn't get a prompt

Any replies much appreciated

Jhieminga
2nd Mar 2005, 07:44
Not every site is set up in such a way that IE recognises the boxes you fill in as containing a user ID and password. If you didn't get the message asking you if IE should remember this password, then I would guess this to be the case here. You could try using Firefox and see if the built in password manager does work on your page, but if that fails also then there's not much you can do. Since the problem resides in the page coding itself you could only ask your email provider about it.

2nd Mar 2005, 08:24
If the password manager doesn't remember the password, then theres usually a box somewhere on the page itself where you can click "remember my password" or something to that effect. But the minute you clear your cookies and cache, the password is gone again!!

FJJP
2nd Mar 2005, 18:27
My last remaining brain cell is very soggy and regularly dumps information other than how to breath and keep my heart beating!

Seriously, with so many passwords and usernames floating around I found it increasingly difficult to keep track - not helped by the phenomina described by Jhieminga. I keep the problem in check by keeping a list of usernames, with the password listed as 'usual' - I only have one password that bears no resemblance or connection to me, my family, my career, job, etc. In other words, no-one in a million years could ever guess it by knowledge of me or my background. Same goes for PIN numbers - it saves ever having to write it down anywhere.

As for the PC problem, I experience the same frustration - some sites remember and some don't. It's an irritation having to type one or the other or both in to login to the site. I don't have an answer, I'm afraid.

Toxteth O'Grady
2nd Mar 2005, 21:16
Password Safe. (http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/)

737TG
3rd Mar 2005, 10:11
www.roboform.com

:D

Cheers!