PDA

View Full Version : Stewardess Uniform Collection....Can you help?

Cliff
1st Mar 2005, 14:29
Hi everyone!

For more than 13 years I have been collecting stewardess uniforms, at the moment my uniform collection contains more than 370 different stewardess uniforms from various airlines worldwide. Every day I try to find more uniforms for my collection. A number of magazines (Time, Russian Elle, Travel News, Playboy), newspapers (USA Today, The Sunday Telegraph) and even television (Holland, Germany, UK) and radio programs (Australia, Japan, Colombia) have paid attention to my collection, something I am really proud of!

Most of my uniforms can be seen on my website. If you would like to see my collection, please visit my website at:

www.uniformfreak.com

I would like to know if you could help me with old uniforms for my collection. If you still have old uniforms at home and you are willing/able to help me, please contact me. I am NOT a lunatic or terrorist, I have been working for KLM for more than 18 years and my hobby is a serious business! Most flight attendants at KLM know about me and my hobby.

Here are some links about my website/hobby on Internet:

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/02/05/biz.trav.uniform.freak/index.html

http://picks.yahoo.com/picks/i/20021210.html

http://www.uppers.org/article.asp?article=463

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/tech/weekly/1713543

http://www.time.com/time/asia/tga/article/0,13673,501040503-629440,00.html

http://www.abc.net.au/newcastle/stories/s766142.htm

http://www.swindondiary.com/20thcwroughton.htm

Looking forward to hearing from you. I will keep my fingers crossed and hopefully some of you can help me with new stuff for my collection. Your help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Kind regards from Amsterdam,

Cliff "uniformfreak"

flyblue
1st Mar 2005, 15:14
Cliff's work is invaluable to all. His collection keeps memory alive on uniforms that are part of aeronautical culture and would otherwise be forever lost. It' s not surprising some airlines willingly donate their (even current!) uniforms to Cliff. His site has become a reference.

I am a big fan of Cliff's work. Whenever I talk to a CC who tells me she has an old uniform in her closet, I encourage her to donate it to Cliff's online Museum. Uniforms in closets end up in the garbage can, while in Cliff's Museum they are kept for the future, and for the enjoyment of all.

kaybee
1st Mar 2005, 16:46
what a FAB website, well done!

this is an important piece of aviation history, and i wish you all the best with the website, i hope we can all help min some way.
i'd send u some things from thomas cook if i could but we're still struggling to actually clothe our crew...lol

kaybee
xxxx

SkySista
2nd Mar 2005, 15:26
Agree!

I have followed the UF site for a few years now

(by the way, nice catch on the new Pan Am uniform, Cliff! :ok: )

I actually became (even more) obssessed with collecting aviation stuff after seeing Cliff's site. (No I am not a freak either, I have studied aviation and my collection is mainly retro stuff, but more like instruments etc ;) )

I do have uniforms but Cliff has them already, or I'd donate them in a second.

I would love to see someone sponsor a book about the collection, I am sure it would interest both aviation buffs and fashion designers alike. It is funny to see that some things recur every twenty or thirty years!

Even my mother was impressed with the site. Brings back many memories as I remember the QF/AN/ Australian Airlines uniforms from the early 80's :)

Go ahead an donate, guys, I think you'll even get a name mention if you donate your own personal uniform =)

Great job Cliff, keep it coming!

What is the "Holy Grail" of uniforms (besides the Pan Am ones?)

Sky

CarltonBrowne the FO
2nd Mar 2005, 16:37
I used to like the Loganair uniform (pre-1988 I think) which had a kilt instead of a skirt. Unfortunately the kilt was made of a quite lightweight material- on a windy day it was possible to fully inspect the legs of the CAs whenever they went outside... :E

Cliff
6th Mar 2005, 21:08
Thanks everyone for your messages and help! :ok:

Leezyjet
8th Mar 2005, 16:32
Cliff, your website is fantastic. :cool:

If you don't mind I have also made a post on A.net with a link to your website as I know that there are alot of people on there that would be interested too.

I think that your collection would go down well as a temporary exhibition at the Visitors Centre at LHR.

:)

Cliff
10th Mar 2005, 09:35
That might be a good idea, Leezyjet. I will keep that in mind.
Thank you!

Onan the Clumsy
21st Apr 2005, 20:34
I have a thing about uniforms too - and I AM a freak.

Got something for you too, and it's never been worn either (I didn't get the chance :( but that's another story altogether)

Scrubbed
22nd Apr 2005, 08:22
Back in ya box, moanin...

He's not interested in Batman uniforms with the butt-cheeks cut out.

Save it for the mardi gras

:yuk:

DELTABOY
26th Apr 2005, 16:51
WOW.... you have been a busy boy cliff. what a fabulous site & idea. you have presented the uniforms to their advantage & its soooo camp i love it!
Bet you wear them secretly. :ok:

TightSlot
27th Apr 2005, 06:32
Cliff - just for interest, was it you on the tv a few days ago? (Some sort of "collectors corner" type show).

OZcabincrew
27th Apr 2005, 06:51
Cliff

Would be great if you could get the new Qantas uniform up on your site!!!!!

Oz

:ok:

SkySista
27th Apr 2005, 07:14
Lol Oz, I was just thinking that the other day. Black is much more stylish than the navy, (though the navy one COULD have been, given the right cut)

Looking forward to seeing which uniforms Cliff manages to find next! :)

OZcabincrew
27th Apr 2005, 10:54
Hey!!!!!

I liked the old QF uniform. I think it looked more official than the current one.

SkySista
27th Apr 2005, 12:28
well yes, it did look more official, i think maybe that's what they were trying to change with the Morissey uniform (feel sorry for you lot having to wear black in summer though!)

Perhaps they wanted the crew to look more 'approachable'? I liked both, but I think it DID need 'modernising' :D

Leave the gold buttons to the Navy ;)

OZcabincrew
27th Apr 2005, 14:18
Hi!!!!!!

I like the new uniform, however i think Morissey doesn't understand what a F/A does, we don't spend all day parading through terminals like on a cat walk, we actually work in it and i know of a few girls who find it quite restricting. I find mine quite comfortable, the black doesn't bother me, although there are a few people who seem to be thermally challenged no matter what!!!!(ie vests for guys, understandable if you're somewhere which is humid or genuinely hot, but if it's not either of those, then it looks scruffy if guys aren't wearing the vest, my opinion anyway). I wonder what the next uniform will be?

Oz

SkySista
28th Apr 2005, 00:50
Oz, you guys due for another uniform already then??

OZcabincrew
28th Apr 2005, 07:29
hahaha, no, just joking!