PDA

View Full Version : Airport teed-off by name mix-up

Buster Hyman
1st Mar 2005, 01:37
John Masanauskas
01mar05

MELBOURNE airport management wants people to stop using the 't' word.

It's fed up with people calling the airport Tullamarine, which has never been part of the official name. The airport, which is on federal land and has its own postcode, is not even part of the suburb Tullamarine.
It is believed the name stuck because the airport, which opened in 1970, is linked to the city by the Tullamarine Freeway.

Airport CEO Chris Barlow said yesterday that the issue was affecting the city's international status.

"Melbourne airport is an international destination and if you go anywhere around the world and talk about that 't' word, they wouldn't have a clue where it is," he said.

Mr Barlow is annoyed that budget airline Jetstar refers to the airport as Melbourne-Tullamarine and to Avalon airport as Melbourne-Avalon in its advertising.

Avalon is 55km from Melbourne, but only 15km from Geelong.

Avalon general manager Tim Anderson said the airport won't be changing its name.

"We have been Avalon airport since 1952 and we're proud to be associated with the cities of Melbourne and Geelong," he said.

Well, I'm very sorry, but it will always be Tulla for me sunshine!
:suspect:

Animalclub
1st Mar 2005, 01:43
It's always been called Tulla to differentiate that from Essendon.

Buster Hyman
1st Mar 2005, 01:49
Very true Animalclub. I assume MEB has relinquished the "Melbourne Airport" title, otherwise....:rolleyes:

CoodaShooda
1st Mar 2005, 02:40
Geez
Lived and flew in the area from 1969 to 1977, until the great move north.
Didn't realise until reading this thread that Tulla was actually called Melbourne. :O :oh:

Buster Hyman
1st Mar 2005, 02:58
You wouldn't have landed there until after 71 though....:ooh: :8 :ouch:

CoodaShooda
1st Mar 2005, 06:17
Took a C150 there in '77 but...... :}

Buster Hyman
1st Mar 2005, 07:44
Half your luck!:ok:

bushy
1st Mar 2005, 08:18
So are we going to have another place with two places with the same name like Ayers Rock? Seems like our regulator /service provider is more concerned with commercial things than accuracy, precision and safety. Why not use the proper names, like JFK, Heathrow, Charles de Gaul?

Eastwest Loco
1st Mar 2005, 09:30
Shock Horror!!!

As we speak the custodians of Newark, La Guardia, JFK, Changi, Heathrow and Gatwick Airports are reviewing their marketing strategies and looking to rename.

Quel une bunch de wankeres!!

Get over it MELKT - It is and always has been Tullamarine Airport Melbourne.

One a lesser scale, Wynyard Airport changed it's name to Burnie Airport. Try landing at Burnie - lots of paperwork afterwards. Also changed the port code from WNY to BWT - immediately nicknamed Badly Wasted Tarmac. No wonder no international and lots of domestic agents (read Flight Centre Uni leftovers who have a degree in the yarts) can't find it.

Maybe we should change the port code from MEL ot NBT (Not Bloody Tullamarine) to keep them happy! (Bugger - Bluecross Quebec alreadyhas it!)

Best all

EWL

:}

P51D
1st Mar 2005, 11:39
Barlow is part of the British Airports Authority on secondment to MEL - lucky them. Not a patch on his predecessor who was well liked. This is the guy that said QF should not be supported at MEL because they were dropping capacity - Dicko later made sure that Jetstar went elsewhere and the Vic Govt weren't real happy with his views which were ill-founded and if he cared to see how the competition's capacity at the time had grown to match QF's reduction he might have changed his tune - call it arrogance. Perhaps he should tell his UK hierachy to drop Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted and just call them London 1, 2 & 3. Tulla has always had a nice ring to it - all resist!

Lasiorhinus
2nd Mar 2005, 01:07
So we cant call Sydney airport 'Mascot' either then?

Moorabbin Airport isnt technically in Moorabbin either, its in Cheltenham.
Melbourne (YMML) might not be in tullamarine, but its the closest suburb so its convenient, and the name isnt going to change colloquially!

tipsy
2nd Mar 2005, 02:39
I started work there in June 1970 in time to attend the official opening of the place the next month. I have always known it as Tulla.

With regard to Sydney, Mascot is the domestic side and Kingsford-Smith Airport is the international side.

I also noticed recently in the press (that paragon of truth and accuracy) that they still refer to Brisbane as Eagle Farm.

So what about the Gold Coast/Coolagatta that sits astride the QLD/NSW border.

tipsy

MIss Behaviour
2nd Mar 2005, 05:22
Yo Tipsy my man

I thought yo' momma wasn't born 'til 1973 so how did you come to be of working age in 1970??? ;) ;)

Don't tell me they have immaculate conception or is it divine intervention in the feline world too? :ooh: :ooh:

BTW can you wish yo' momma a happy birthday for 06Feb coz I forgot. :ouch: :ouch:

tipsy
2nd Mar 2005, 05:38
MIss Behaviour you are deep in the kitty litter tray over that little oversight.

tipsy