PDA

View Full Version : Work visa

Bitmonx
28th Feb 2005, 16:04
Anybody know how hard it is to get a working visa in Canada?

Lock n' Load
28th Feb 2005, 17:56
Well, I have one...
If you have a job offer from a Canadian employer and they can get a "labour market opinion" from Human Resources and Skill Development Canada stating that no Canadian is available to do the job, it's very easy to get a work permit. If you have neither of those, it's impossible.
This is entirely different from permanent residency for which applications are awarded points out of 100 (pass mark 67 though a passing mark is not a guarantee) but for which arranged employment in not a prerequisite. I doubt it's a particularly good time to be an unemployed pilot in Canada with a fresh permanent residency visa though. If you have a work permit, you can apply for permanent residency after a year and will be awarded extra points for your employment, but obviously you'd need a job first. Have a look at www.cic.gc.ca for more info and a self-test of your points eligibility.

Bitmonx
2nd Mar 2005, 15:34
Thanks Lock. Do you know how hard it really is, I mean at the moment? A few years back it may have been different from now.
Did you get your work visa by getting a job offer, then doing the HRDC deal and then applying for the work visa? If so, how long did it take for the HRDC to make a decision?

Cheers

Lock n' Load
2nd Mar 2005, 16:18
I'm a controller, not a pilot so I can't really comment on the market for foreign pilots in Canada.
My employer in Canada arranged the HRDC labour market opinion, then sent it to me about 3 weeks after I was offered the job. I then sent the HRDC letter along with my work permit application to the Canadian High Commission, and the work permit approval arrived after another 2 weeks or so.
Note that the actual work permit is issued when you arrive in Canada by an immigration officer who has absolute authority to issue or deny!

jpilot
3rd Mar 2005, 18:04
Hi everybody!!!

I´m a spanish pilot and I´m nearly to obtain a Skilled Worker Visa. I have no previus aviation experience, I´m a "rookie pilot", but I will try to find something as a pilot in Canada (I hope as Flight Instructor), although I know that it will be very hard.

In Spain nowadays, if you want to work for some airlines you have to pay about 90.000 Canadian $, in others it is almost imposible if you aren´t a close friend of the General Director. I hope in Canada there are better opportunities.

I would like to ask you where would you suggest me to relocate in Canada and if you think that I will have any chance to get a job as a pilot.

Thank you for your help

WLM
4th Mar 2005, 13:18
JPILOT
Hi
I am a little curious to know how you "nearly obtained" your Skilled Work Visa if you're not a qualified pilot? I scored 80 points in my assessment but have not bothered to go further.
I know the minimum points requirement is at its lowest but find it interesting you can get the permit than go for training?
Thanks
WLM
:confused:

jpilot
4th Mar 2005, 18:01
Because I am also an engineer, and I have more than 4 years of work experience. My wife also has a bachelors degree, speaks french and english fluently and so on.

Anyway, I think that I am a qualified pilot, because I have my license, but with no experience.

Lock n' Load
4th Mar 2005, 21:02
Jpilot - I think you'll find yourself among many Canadians with CPL/IR or ATP/IR but no flying job. You may get lucky of course, but here in oil-rich Alberta, most of the taxi drivers are immigrants with degree level education or above. I even met one with a masters degree in oil and gas engineering! Qualifications that aren't Canadian count for very little in this country. Remember that if you have a JAA licence, you'll have to convert it at your own expense to a Transport Canada licence.

WLM
5th Mar 2005, 05:07
Lock N Load

Gday mate
Well I've just received info my my CA friend that about 15 companies or so are looking for pilots (experienced that is) with TT from 1000 to 1500 minimum. It appears the season is going to be a strong one. Have you heard the same being in the ATC?
Cheers
WLM
;)

oops forgot to mention it\'s the Rotary section I\'m referring to
:O

Lock n' Load
5th Mar 2005, 05:35
WLM - I'm afraid my knowledge of the pilot job market is limited by being a) a fairly recent arrival in the country and b) stuck in an ATC centre so interaction with pilots is limited to the r/t.
One of the major airlines has lost its RVSM certification (yes, that one) so if it goes belly-up due to the extra costs, expect their pilots to be near the top of the tree if other jet airlines are hiring, thus limiting opportunities for piston and turboprop pilots to move up.
Still, I guess the market is cyclical like everywhere else, so if there's an upswing coming (must be getting towards growth from pre 9/11 days soon!) you might be lucky.
As for rotary wing stuff, Canada must have more helos per capita than anywhere else!