View Full Version : C501 time towards ATPL

peloevizio
27th Feb 2005, 19:32
I passed my JAA written ATPL in 2002, landed a job as single pilot on a private Citation 1 SP. I have a total of 3700 hrs of which 600 as SP on this C501 and 80 as copilot on C550. Can anyone explain to me why my single pilot IFR over Europe flying is worthless to attempt ATPL check flight? Is there something in the JARs that I am missing or there is no hope for me with my present job?

Thanks for your ideas

FLEXJET
27th Feb 2005, 19:43
FCL 1.280 states that you need 500 hrs of multi crew operations in order to apply for the ATPL license.

Just curious: was your C501 previously based in France?

peloevizio
27th Feb 2005, 20:34
Thank you Flexjet. I know that, I just can't see why I should quit my job and put myself on the market for a copilot position on anything that flies with two pilots just to achieve these 500 hrs. It makes little sense that the ruler values more the experience one gets flying for example, a C500 as copilot, thus doing half the job that one does flying the same airplane by himself.
And in answer to your question no, the airplane was previously flown in Sweden.
Happy landings

machone
27th Feb 2005, 20:49
The point of the 500 hours multi crew is not that you are doing half the job but that you are operating in a multi crew role; therefore you use CRM, and operate mutli crew even to the fact that the co pilot reads the checklist, does nothing else and fills in the nav log also is able to make a decent cup of coffee.
remember that in aviation there are hoops to jump through before going onto the next level, miss a hoops you miss a lesson learned.

peloevizio
27th Feb 2005, 21:45
This is a wise opinion, but I wander why they seldom assess a pilot with that logic in mind, when they recrute first officiers. I was once told that all that flying that I did in all kinds of jobs from towing gliders to instructing peole was useless, and that only heavy aircraft experience counts. I also wander how Americans do when they give ATPLs to pilots with 1500 hrs and no multi crew time. Thanks anyway. I will keep looking for that copilot job then.

SnowPilot
28th Feb 2005, 01:37
hey
peloevizio check your pm's

His dudeness
28th Feb 2005, 10:09
peloevizio; DONīT TRY TO SEE A LOGIC HERE.
Aviation Authorities are mainly driven by individuals that werenīt too succesful when on the job, now they have power over people like you and me...
Nobody can explain the difference between a C500 and a C501 really - its just the book isnīt it. Or what the difference is between flying a B200 and a B1900 - a B200 operated 2 man crew commercially with SOPīs and CRM training is worth no nothing where as a B1900 (basically same cockpit, less performance, lower altitude etc.) counts.
Bitter but true:
AGAIN pilots are put under pressure, again people that work in the most demanding sector of the Industry (Business aviation in FAR23 Aircraft) are doomed.

it just sucks.

peloevizio
28th Feb 2005, 17:51
Good point His Dudeness, and glad to share the same opinions.

And hey, SnowPilot,
what kind of slang is that? What do you mean by "Check your pm's"?

His dudeness
28th Feb 2005, 19:28
P rivate M ail - email