PDA

View Full Version : Leeds/Bradford - what offices?

Ian_Wannabe
26th Feb 2005, 17:21
Hey guys. I'm looking for a part time job to go with my studies whilst i'm here at Leeds university and was wondering if anyone could help.

I would really like to work at Leeds airport within some form of aviation comminity - be it making the tea for a flying school, packing paper into a printer at a freight office etc etc. However I'm having trouble tracking down the companies that work from Leeds bradford.

I know of multiflight, Leeds flying school and Future forwarding freight office but as for anything else... I havent been able to track.

I would love to get in touch with the Air traffic department too as I worked as an ATCO at an ATC unit before I came to uni. Do you think calling the number from pooleys would be a bad idea? I dont wanna fustrate those guys before Ive even started!

Any numbers, contacts, words of advice .........!

Cheers

Ian

JB007
26th Feb 2005, 18:44
This is the number listed for Current Vacancies (0) 113 391 3206 from LBA's website (http://www.lbia.co.uk)

Good Luck

Ian_Wannabe
26th Feb 2005, 18:50
Who'd have thought the LBIA jobs link would have given me all the answers I needed :ouch: I blame my illness...

Thanks JB007 :D

run a mile
26th Feb 2005, 21:37
Hi,

The LBA website is good however, it could do with being updated a little more frequently. Multiflight also have a website with a link to their jobs page.

If you want to get involved with the airliners then Servisair is your best bet. Either Dispatcher or Ramp Agent jobs will be based airside. Passenger agents tend to stay in the terminal.

If you are considering working at the airport because of a love of aircraft then try to avoid working in the duty free shop or the newsagents etc. I couldnt think of anything more demoralising than being stuck serving drinks to passengers at 0430 am with the sound of a jet roaring down the runway! Running up and down airstairs, talking to pilots etc, thats where the fun is!

Last bit of advice, be persistant. I have had several jobs at LBA each one after what seems like an epic battle to get noticed. Write letters, telephone, e-mail, go in person do anything you can possibly do (within reason) to get the job.

Its been a while since I have worked at LBA and I dont really have any contacts to call upon anymore. If you have any other questions just drop me a PM.

RAM

Ian_Wannabe
26th Feb 2005, 22:23
Hey thanks for the reply.

This Servisair dispatcher or ramp job - I dont suppose you know if this would be said as a proper full time job? This is the kinda thing that I'd love to get involved with for the reasons you mentioned, and it would probably look better on my CV for the airlines rather than "night shifts at tescos"!

The reason why I'm asking you blind is because I dont want to sound like a complete novice when asking for details, then have to say "oh i'm just a student looking for weekend work bla bla". I'd rather do my research now...

Thanks again

Ian

run a mile
26th Feb 2005, 23:05
Its a couple of years since I was a dispatcher but it seemed that most people started out part time on a temporary three month contract and were either retained or binned depending on weather they were any good. I cant imagin Servisair offering any form of weekend work. I dispatched for a couple of months one summer during my degree when I didnt have any lectures but you may be able to arrange your shifts around your degree. Saying that you will be asked how flexable you will be to working extra hours/ covering shifts etc. so it might be worth keeping your degree under your hat for now.

If its weekend work you are after then one of the flying schools would probably be able to accomodate this. Both multi and LFS work 7 days a week and probably have a different set of staff at the weekends to those during the week. Also, weekends at a flyng school may be more hectic than during the week due to pleasure flights and trial lessons etc.

In the final year of my degree I managed to hold down a weekend job at one of said flying schools with little interference to my studies.

good luck

ram

Ian_Wannabe
27th Feb 2005, 19:47
Cool sounds good - thanks for your help ;)

jamie060
28th Feb 2005, 17:08
Hey

I'm currently a ramp agent for Servisair at LBA. Shifts are all part time and at the moment are Monday to friday only in a three week cycle of earlys lates and middles.

Pay is ok and you certainly get to speak to a whole bunch of different people.

Not too sure about dispatch but if you don;t mind working hard and can cope with dodgy shifts then its a lot of fun.

( Especially in the summer as you get on hell of a tan!!!)

Laters

MyData
25th Mar 2005, 16:29
Ian

Check your PMs.

A40-TY
23rd May 2005, 10:28
Hi,

I was a dispatcher for Servisair at LBA up until i left nearly two years ago, great fun and invaluable experience for the future should you wish to progress onto widebody dispatch, etc. Other opportunities also exist in load control but for me dispatch was the most fun as you were always with the aircraft and you were your own boss - working around the aeroplane at -2C in the middle ofwinter was also entertaining.

Wickerd.

A40-TY