PDA

View Full Version : Broadband installation problems

jetstream7
25th Feb 2005, 09:35
I've used dialup for around 5 yrs now and have always been satisfied with the service.

I have a P3 500 with 256mb using Windows 98SE

I've now taken the big step into the world of BB and having registered etc. got an installation date of 23rd Feb.
All the bits and pieces arrived, and installation started.

All went fine until the point I linked the Voyager 205 router into my PC (via USB).
Got the 'detecting new hardware' message as you normally do, but then a pop-up box said that the system was 'scanning' and that the source was the Windows 98 CD-ROM.
The documentation say that Win98SE users may have to enter their system disk when requested, but there was no 'request' to do this.
After a couple of minutes a new popup box tells me that the system can't find the file and suggests cleaning and reinserting the disk.

I've deinstalled and tried again, this time inserting the 'un-requested' system disk, but still the same problem.

I've tried the ISPs help desk, but last call was unsatisfactory with no help offered other than contact Microsoft... pity they don't support Win98SE anymore

So.....

Anyone have any idea around what the probably could be.. is it software or my antique-ish pc? Does anyone know how to fix the issue?

Before I ordered I used the ISPs own checker to make sure the PC was suitable...

Cheers

Evo
25th Feb 2005, 10:55
I've tried the ISPs help desk, but last call was unsatisfactory with no help offered other than contact Microsoft

It seems to me that Windows is looking for and failing to find a driver. I wouldn't expect the Win98 disk to contain it (too recent) so it should be supplied with the router - and it certainly is your ISP's problem. They supplied the router, so they should help you troubleshoot it.

Tron049
25th Feb 2005, 13:15
When the computer says 'can not find file'. Click on the Browse button, the file name it is searching for should be displayed. Do a search for this file and then point the computer to this directory and it should install the file.

snooky
25th Feb 2005, 13:41
I had similar problems with a similar system.
Searching for the missing files proved fruitless because they're all hidden away in zipped cabs files, which I found using explorer at windows, then options, then cabs.
It did take a long time to find the missing files, but they are in a sort of order as you look through them.
Hope this helps.

Zulu_One
26th Feb 2005, 06:52
Try these paths when asked for the Win98 CD:
c:\windows
c:\windows\system
c:\windows\cabs (not sure if w98 has this)

sometimes the files can be found there.

Also you can do a search for *.cab files on your drive and WinRar can usually open them (might be a mission though)

Alternatively the win98 driver can be found here (http://static.btopenworld.com/broadband/adhoc_pages/drivers/windows_driver_for_voyager205.zip)

Good Luck !

Z1

Tron049
26th Feb 2005, 12:44
Quite often the file is already in the windows directory installed on the computer. Just point the computer to the directory and it will re-install for the program.

stickyb
26th Feb 2005, 17:21
Just a thought. Does the modem require USB2 or will it work with USB1? I presume your machine only has USB1

jetstream7
28th Feb 2005, 09:20
Turned out to be missing Win98 files - couldn't tell what they were, so decided to reinstall Windows98.

This has sorted the problem.:D