PDA

View Full Version : Stay in the loop on a budget?...a small one too!

MLamont
25th Feb 2005, 08:49
Can any experienced Eagles give a Rookie some good advice,

I recently completed my PPL and Night at NAC after starting out in Scotland. I'm very keen to go for the career but I have just finished University and am now in the midst of a a few months out (taking bar work etc to fund some travel). I love flying and want to peruse it but at just 22 I feel a couple of months (8) wont end the dreams - unfortunately almost many I have come into contact with have turned their noses up at this and, have on occasion, doubted my dedication.

My question is does anyone have any suggestions on how to stay “in the loop” while away. Unfortunately living on a student budget I have calculated that I will only be likely to afford to fly around 5-7 hrs over the next 8 months (flying in NZ). I’ll make it up to the 12hrs min when I get home.

I’ve been thinking about getting the ATPL books and starting to revise now - any suggestions on which to start with first? Good idea?

I realise this is a fairly broad question but I thinks its a good topic as I cant find an answer through the search.

Before anyone says it ... I know it would be more sensible to go straight into the ATPL now but that‘s not possible. I also realise my mistakes like “why didn’t I start my PPL 8 months from now!”. But what’s done is done and I’d really appreciate any advice there is for some one like me.

Cheers.

M :cool:

APRIANA
25th Feb 2005, 09:18
MLamont,

If you are intending to fly in NZ I think you have to convert roughly 5 hours flying time before they will let you go solo, so most of your flying will be with an Instructor. I can't remember what the requirement is, or what it is for but I think it is 5 hours.

If you purchase the first Module of the ATPL from one of the Ground schools, about £800, you could take them to NZ and study there but why ruin a holiday studying 3-4 hours a day - enjoy it! Also you may want to keep the £800 for travelling.

I went to NZ at 22 for 10 months came back completed my PPL and NR, now I'm starting my ATPL with BGS. I'm now 24.

I would take 8 months out relax, possibly fly a few hours in NZ, come back and then go for it.

Good Luck

Keygrip
25th Feb 2005, 12:34
This is slightly off topic - but can I ask "How recently did you complete your PPL?".

I get the vibe that you are aiming to do "the12 hours" within 12 months of completing your PPL - and, for various reasons, you do not need to.

Secondly - the "cheapest" way would be to forget the flying until you complete the written exams - no need to fly at all until you have 14 exam passes in your office desk drawer.

8 months off at your time of life (and position in the aviation food chain) won't make a bit of difference - it will just put you eight months further down the seniority list of any company you may end up at.

Seriously, take the break if you wish (or must) and then concentrate on the written exams. If you want the CHEAPEST way - then don't fly again (but my bet is that you will blow a few hundred on 'pleasure flights' during the next few months).

WRITTEN EXAMS next (assuming you already have a Class 1 medical - otherwise, medical next, then written exams).

MLamont
25th Feb 2005, 21:25
Thanks guys, it's good to get a vote of confidence.

Lee Frost
25th Feb 2005, 23:10
MLamont check your PMs

MLamont
26th Feb 2005, 07:36
I must say, although I haven’t had a huge response here, those of you who posted and private messaged have given some great advice. Many thanks and here’s to us all getting there.

Lee Frost - Check your PM’s (Many thanks) :ok: