PDA

View Full Version : IMC to IR credits

Captain Ratpup
24th Feb 2005, 11:21
Hi guys,

Been thinking about an IMC as I need some more dual time before starting the CPL and didn't want to pay to just have an instructor sat in the plane.

Does holding an IMC qualify you for a reduction on hours on an IR course? I've looked at LASORS but the only definitive credit on IR requirements seems to be for CPL holders or ex-forces pilots.

Ratpup

wobblyprop
24th Feb 2005, 12:33
there are no credits towards the IR by having an IMC rating

dann1405
24th Feb 2005, 14:27
There is no cerdit towards it but you will go into the IR with a good foundation. If you tell your instructor that you want to do the IMC to IR standard then when you start the IR you will have a very good understanding of most of the basic parts and your instrument flying will already be good. If you need to kill some dual time then I would think that this is the most constructive thing to do.
d14

ATP_Al
24th Feb 2005, 19:07
Doing an IMC rating before your IR will certainly give you a good foundation, but there is no requirement to log a certain amount of dual time before starting your CPL. You just need a minimum 150hrs total, including 100hrs P1.

Al

Keygrip
24th Feb 2005, 23:01
I'm with ATP_Al - how can you need more dual time before the CPL flying course?

You only need an ICAO PPL with 150 hours total time to start the CPL course. No extra 'dual' required.

You only need the 100hrs P1 for licence application, not for starting the course.

Is somebody telling you differently?

Northern Highflyer
25th Feb 2005, 10:05
Doing the IMC was a big help to me when I started on my IR. As suggested above, I explained to my instructor that I would go on to do the IR and he put me through my paces. It paid off for me and I hit the ground running when I started and I felt like I was ahead of the game.

You need 150 hours TT with 70 P1 to start the CPL and 200 hours TT with 100 P1 to claim the CPL. Note the 30 hour P1 gap as there is no P1 time on the CPL course (except the P1S you can log for the test if you pass). If you start with only 70 P1 you will have to hour build before you can claim your licence.

Once you have the CPL you can reduce the IR by 5 hours to 50 hours.

Good luck.

NH

Keygrip
25th Feb 2005, 12:55
Where does all this misinformation come from??

There is NO P1 requirement for starting the CPL flying course.

ICAO PPL with no extra hours to start the groundschool

PPL with total time 150 hours to start the flying course

Flying course complete, all written examinations passed, night qualification passed, radio telephony exams passed, class 1 medical passed (doesn't need to be current at class 1 standard) to take the flight test

PPL, CPL skill test passed, 200 hours total with 100 hours P1 for licence application.

In fairness to Northen Highflyer, you may need 70 hrs P1 if you do the complex part of the CPL course in a multi engine aircraft - but not if you do it in a single engine (but that woulod depend on which school you train at).

As said above, 5 hour credit towards I/R if you have CPL - as not said above, 10 hour credit to CPL if you have I/R.

WX Man
26th Feb 2005, 18:22
If you get an IMC, then you can get a FAA IR counting the IFR training towards that.

So... 15 hours of IMC training, and then 25 hours of FAA IR training.

You could then convert the FAA IR by doing a 15 hour course.

Alternatively, just do the FAA IR (40h) straight off, and convert it using the 15h conversion course.

All minimums, but if you choose your school wisely you can keep it pretty much at these levels (PM if you want to know more).

dann1405
28th Feb 2005, 11:12
To clear this up, there is a significant difference according to whether you are an integrated or modular student in terms of experience requirements. Modular:
To commence training: PPL+150hrs TT
To apply for CPL issue:
- 100hrs PIC
- 20hrs x-country PIC (including the 300nm 2 landings etc)
- 10hrs instrument dual instruction (without an IR)
- 5hrs night
The 10hrs instrument instruction can be included as part of the CPL course.
To graduate from an approved CPL integrated course you must have a minimum of 150hrs to include:
- 80hrs dual instruction (can include up to 5 instrument ground time. Must include 5hrs complex unless previously completed)
- 70hrs PIC
- 20hrs x-country as above
- 5hrs night
- 10hrs instrument flight instruction
Hope this helps