PDA

View Full Version : Help with routing to Malabo

tomcat21
23rd Feb 2005, 23:29
Going to be flying into Malabo for a week or so. Our routing is Daud in Algeria, to Niyami, Niger to Sao Tome and then to Malabo the next day. Anyone know how much USD to have cash on hand for handling fees at these places? Any chance of getting Malaria in Malabo? Any suggestions on what to do in Malabo if your there for a week? Thanks alot.

Beta Light
23rd Feb 2005, 23:43
tomcat, I flew into Malabo in 1986 and picked up a bug that attacked my spleen ,and had to have it removed in emergency op. The docters said it was contaminated water, could get it just from swallowing water during shower!!
Malaria was also a big problem as some of our crew went down on regular base.
That was 20 years ago, but cannot imagine much has changed.

Beutiful Island if you look past the poverty ( like rest of Africa)

Puritan
24th Feb 2005, 08:21
I don't know what the handling fees will be ( not unless you’re in a B737 or B757 ), however I can tell you that you could contract malaria.
Indeed I seem to recall a rumour that we've had occasions to bring back the bodies of those who've died from it ( cerebral malaria ? ) whilst they were working down there; that said, they might have been working out in the bush ( but do the mosi’s know the difference ?! :eek: ).

We presently fly to Malabo once a week (http://www.flyastraeus.com/whereweflyto/index.asp?id=38) and stay there for about 16 hours ( back-to-back night flights, separated by some sleep in an hotel ) so we don't get much time to explore - however I can tell you that there's a very good pizza restaurant ( not sure of the name ) in the town ( which ain't that big ), so go figure.

Prior to arrival in Malabo, get a photocopy of your passport made, as your real passport will be taken from you and held at the airport until you leave, and yet the local police are known to stop people in the street and ask for ID ( especially so since the well publicised coup attempt and in the run-up to the elections ) and you don't want to find that you ain't got none. :}

Vlamgat
24th Feb 2005, 09:32
Howzit!!

I was flying and living in Malabo up to the beginning of Last year, it's a rather nasty place indeed, Got cerebral Malaria there, and went to a live in S.A Doctor there (Afrikaans Dude) Who sorted me out in a few hours. The drug to take there for Malaria is Called Co-artem, It works like a charm, and I should know as i've had Malaria Thrice. There's the pizza plaze to chow at, Theres Nautilus (very nice) in the harbour, and then there's a lovely little chinese restaurant (excellent food). If you want to buy anything ask the taxi to go to the blue shop. If you need a doctor there just ask one on the oil companies for his number. There are also quite a few South Africans working and living there.

If you want info on Landing fees and sh1t you should contact Naturelink (012) 543 3448 ask to speak to shawn, he is a very nice youn gentleman and i'm sure hed be able to assist you!!

Aginnintonnixadaykeepsadoctaaway!!

tomcat21
27th Feb 2005, 13:08
Thanks for the input guys. Any other advice with the routing?

Treetopflyer
28th Feb 2005, 09:54
Make sure you have the proper landing permit at hand before you go there!!! They are really big on that since last year's coup attempt. I have seen the controller make a scheduled cargo AN124 hold in the circuit because the pilot did not have the landing permit number at hand...

Routing from Sao Tomé to Malabo is probably best via intersection GEBRO, which will slightly offset you to the west. Watch for the big rock on your right... Here are all the ASECNA charts for the place, including some real good SIDs/STARs:

http://www.ais-asecna.org/en/atlas/guineeequ/malabo.htm

As far as charges are concerned, you will have to pay three things:

1. ASECNA fees, which are published here:

http://www.ais-asecna.org/en/gen/gen4.htm

2. Aeropuerto de Malabo passenger taxes. I believe it is something like 8000 FCFA (16 USD) per international passenger, but check.

3. HANGESA handling fees: bandits, they are! Handling is mandatory and they will take 80000 FCFA (160 USD) for basic handling for an 8 ton airplane -- I don't know what you fly. Then it increases if you want them to actually do their job, meaning carry luggage, etc...

As far as the city is concerned, it is quite nice if you don't mind dirty places, and it has really been booming for the last 5 years.

Nice hôtel? HOTEL BAHIA, overlooking the harbor, real beautiful view.

Nice restaurant? CLUB NAUTICO, next to the naval base (a couple rusty torpedoe boats), right on the sea.

Taxi to town is 4000 FCFA (8 USD) by day, 5000 FCFA (10 USD) by night.

Malaria zone III, take Co-Artem / Artesunate / Artequin medicine with you in case it gets on ya...

And no need to bring beer along with you, there is fresh San Miguel at every street corner.

Have fun... :E :E :E

- TTF.