PDA

View Full Version : Moving from Civil to Military

flash8
23rd Feb 2005, 19:23
Could an experienced civilian with no prior military experience make the transition to RAF transports? I mean actually join and fly.

Specifically somebody I know, JAA ATPL, 3500 hrs 737-200/300, 29 years old (or thereabouts), British.

Don't shoot the messenger - I'm happy where I am!

16 blades
23rd Feb 2005, 20:41
Not at that age. Age limit for Pilot is 24 on joining (last time I looked). You certainly couldn't 'short-cut' the training system, any more than we could short-cut an airline's seniority list.

The question has to be asked - why would somebody want to?

16B

sonicstomp
24th Feb 2005, 17:28
I can certainly understand why someone would want to - speaking to mates of mine in the airlines who joined young....some have even been quite serious about making the transition across...(well, so they say!)....

No other company would give me heavy jet command of an operational a/c with a large crew and let me do things like AAR and PCT (bashing the cct etc) at 28 yrs old.....

The grass is not greener on the other side, (from what I can see).

Nevertheless, anyone crossing into the RAF would almost certainly have to complete full flying trg and be role-disposed as usual...I don't think previous flying experience will count.

goldcup
24th Feb 2005, 17:31
"The grass is not always greener on the other side..." However, they do at least have grass on the other side. And not just sand...

L J R
24th Feb 2005, 17:49
The grass is greener because there is more bull sh**t underground

Pontius Navigator
24th Feb 2005, 18:51
I think an awful lot of civil pilots are about to do just that if we ever get a civvy tanker and civvy transports :)

BEagle
24th Feb 2005, 19:16
But not unless the price is right! About 4 years ago, the rumoured figure was £100K, no deserts, no Malvinas for an experienced AAR captain - or forget about it!

As I warned the civil serpents who were so besotted with the nonsense of PFI.

crossbows
25th Feb 2005, 10:59
That figure of 100k was banded around by truckies who were on the verge of leaving and hoped it would come true.

In reality they can cut that figure in half and they will be a little closer to what a civilian truckie would be paid.

BEagle
25th Feb 2005, 15:35
No it wasn't - it was what an ex-RAF Virgin Atlantic captain told me the ex-RAF people on his fleet would demand.

As well as a good health care, loss-of-licence, life assurance and pension plan.....

Anyone expecting a 'civilian truckie' to accept £50K for flying as a mercenary FSTA pilot for the RAF has absolutely no grasp on reality!

MrBernoulli
26th Feb 2005, 14:33
Yes, you can get into the RAF as a pilot after age 24. I had previous pilot time and joined the RAF at the age of 27. You would have to do some sort of RAF training to cover low level, formation, etc but I guess the content would depend hugely on background.

Given the shrinking forces of today, however, I think it unlikely that this route would currently be open unless they thought you were a VERY good prospect for Fast Jet. Thats where the shortage is, I believe. Right now they don't seem terribly interested in Multi-Eng.

flyboy007
27th Feb 2005, 09:10
WHY WHY WHY??????????