PDA

View Full Version : cpl/me or me

pipertommy
23rd Feb 2005, 14:04
What do you think is better.Doing a me course then doing the se/cpl course or doing a cpl/me to gain the me?:hmm: obviously the less expensive the better.But would it be better to gain me experience before me/ir?

flighttime2.0
23rd Feb 2005, 17:23
Pipertommy ,

My advise to you is to do the me rating seperate to the cpl test .

The cpl test is no walk over and the last thing you need is the added pressure of an engine failure on flnals , It does not look good to fail your cpl test and you don't want to fail it on something like that when you can avoid it .

I know when you go to do your me rating you will have to deal with an engine failure but at least you wont have to deal with all that comes with the cpl at the same time . flighttime

dann1405
24th Feb 2005, 00:18
Agree with flight time. There is very little to gain by doing the CPL ME, but it will make it significantly more expensive and probably put more pressure on you in the test. In reality, it makes no difference to your CV. Also, most places offer a package to include the ME course at the start of the IR which for most is the best way of doing it.
D14

pipertommy
24th Feb 2005, 10:15
Thanks for the advice both!yes the less pressure during a test can only be for the best.What is the cost of rental solo for a standard me a/c?i guess it must be around £200 mark,how do people bulid time on me a/c must be very expensive!

duir
24th Feb 2005, 10:42
The polarity of these views is that several of my pals have done the CPL course using a twin as the complex aircraft and for the skills test........none of them failed. If you can pull it off it will work out a little cheaper at most schools than doing a seperate S/E CPL and Twin rating. Then you will be in a strong position to go straight into the IR.

dann1405
24th Feb 2005, 14:12
You'll be doing well to find Multi hire in this country for £200. £250 is a realistic average figure in the UK, depending of course on the type of a/c. Cheapest would probably be a Duchess, which you may find for slightly less. For most, the only way to build multi time is abroad, £80-£100 in Canada or the US

FlyingForFun
24th Feb 2005, 14:15
But of course if you do your CPL in the multi, you don't have to do the dreaded PFL......

Swings and roundabouts.

FFF
-------------

pipertommy
25th Feb 2005, 17:10
Thanks all, really good points!:O