PDA

View Full Version : Have you flown a Cessna 172 in Dominican Republic

AMF473
23rd Feb 2005, 13:38
Hello everyone,

I would like to find out if anyone of you rented a small airplane in Dominican Republic to do some sightseeing. What's the best part to see and where to rent.

Thank you for your answer.

Panama Jack
25th Feb 2005, 12:00
Afraid not, but here is a link to the DGAC of the Dominican Republic (http://www.dgac.gov.do/licenciasHTML/RequisitosConvalidacionLicenciaExtranjera.asp), with the requirements for the validation of a foreign licence. Given the requirements and the processing period normally associated with licence validations in other countries, it is often less frustrating (and in the end cheaper) to pay the extra money to take a local instructor, who often makes a great guide, if you plan to only do one or two flights. It seems like the DGAC website also has a forum (http://www.dgac.gov.do/forum/?sID=24) on it-- you might find someone who can answer your questions there if nobody steps to the plate on this forum.

domyalex
10th Mar 2005, 16:10
Sorry to be late on answering...
I had my Texas' issued PPL validated down here in a matter of 1 week. All I had to do was pay some taxes (veeery little), take a medical exam, and then 2 or 3 flights with a local instructor who :
1) showed me the local procedures (got several No Flying Zones around here, one is 3 miles on runway heading, pretty fun!)
2) told the local rental place that I was ok and that I could be trusted

If you are in a short vacation, then the above suggestion seems really good. Take a local instructor with you and have fun!

Fly Safe

Alejandro

Ray Darr
12th Mar 2005, 11:17
I don't personally know of any rental places in the D.R. (except hearing about the above one here), BUT...

Check out the AOPA website and maybe drop them an email. I'm not sure if they have a forum (likely so) but try that too. They have an annual jaunt somewhere warm and sunny and one year they went to the DR. If you can time your visit with their get-together (and they are headed to the DR), maybe go as a "navigator" on their fun cross-country?

I'd flown into the DR many countless times with big and not-so-big birds over the past 15 years. My only word of advice is to PAY ATTENTION on the R/T! Self-coordinating with other aircraft happens lots so si hablar espaniol would be helpful.

Fly safe amigo.