PDA

View Full Version : Documents reprinting on reboot. Grrrrrr!

Binoculars
23rd Feb 2005, 11:57
Documents are printed successfully from Word, but next time the computer goes through its start up routine on reboot, the printer fires into action and reprints everything recently printed. When the control panel printers setting is checked, all the documents that have been printed are still there, marked "Sent to printer" in the Status column.

Whyfor they do this to me? :(

rotorcraig
23rd Feb 2005, 19:25
You don't mention what printer you have.

A friend of mine had the same problem recently with an HP printer; disabling bi-directional support fixed it for him.

See this article (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpl11110&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=29789&locale=en_US) on the HP Support website.

RC

Lost_luggage34
23rd Feb 2005, 19:41
This is indeed an interesting one ...

Operating Sytem please and Service Pack levels.
Printer model and any printer driver version numbers would be good.

Binoculars
24th Feb 2005, 10:21
Sorry, thought it would just be an option I needed to tick somewhere.

Samsung ML1510 laser printer, 6 months old, drivers as came with it, listed as Samsung 1510_700 Series. 900 Celeron, 384mb RAM, Windows XP Professional. Haven't installed SP2 due to the consensus of opinion hardly being unanimous. If it ain't broke, etc......

This only started happening after I installed XP over 98SE, but whether it's developed since then or would have happened immediately afterwards I don't know. Don't need to reboot as often with XP as I used to!

rotorcraig
24th Feb 2005, 18:21
What version of the printer driver are you using?

To find out, use Start -> Printers and Faxes -> Highlight your printer and Right Click -> Properties -> Print Test Page.

The latest USB and GDI drivers for Samsung ML-1510 appear to be ver 1.03; the latest SM driver appears to be ver 1.0.

If you are not up to date then I would start by downloading the latest driver from the Samsung download page here (http://www.samsung.com/au/support/productsupport/download/Model_Select.aspx?type=Print%2c+Fax+%26+Copy+Solutions&typecode=102060&subtype=Print%2c+Fax+%26+Copy+Solutions&subtypecode=402661&model=ML-1510&filetype=DR&language=).

RC

Binoculars
24th Feb 2005, 22:59
Driver name: ssgbe.DLL
Driver version: 4.00

Does this mean Windows has decided for me that it knows best? :confused:

Haven't downloaded anything yet pending advice from the gurus.

rotorcraig
25th Feb 2005, 19:20
Hmmm ... version 4.00 seems a bit strange, not sure that's what we're looking for.

Can you try the following please:

To determine which printer driver a printer uses, use Start -> Printers and Faxes then right-click the printer, and choose Properties from the pop-up menu.

Next, click the Device Settings tab, right-click the installed printer name at the top of the list of device settings, and click About.

Can you make a note of everything that comes up in the About window, and post here please - that may give us more to go on!

RC

Binoculars
26th Feb 2005, 07:07
Driver Details:

Samsung ML-1510_700 Series
Version 5.10
Copyright Samsung.....yadda yadda

rotorcraig
28th Feb 2005, 21:29
Well this has got me stumped, the driver version numbers that you are quoting don't stack up with anything I can find on the web.

I think that I would try the following (in this order)...

1) Try contacting Samsung Support, describe your problem and ask them for advice. There is a form on their web site here (http://erms.samsungelectronics.com/customer/form/formmail/common/common_third.jsp?SITE_ID=41&PROD_TYPE=?&PROD_ID=29) that allows you to do this.

2) Try disabling bidirectional support; it makes no sense at all but worked for my mate's HP printer :D . See my earlier post; if it makes no difference just switch it back on.

3) Install the latest drivers from the web site and see what happens (again, see earlier post).

4) Try to live with it??!!

Not very scientific, but all I can think of to suggest. Anyone else?

RC

Irish Steve
1st Mar 2005, 21:46
XP Pro.

That might be a clue. If you have more than one user set up on the sytem, and the user access rights are not "out of box", it's possible that the printer can't delete the items that are in the queue, because the software that's driving it doesn't have sufficient access rights to allow it to do so.

Even if it's "out of the box" it might still not be completely happy with it. As a check, when the printer was installed, was it in a user account, or an administrator account.

Another thought, when it was installed, did it ask for an administrator password while installing. If it did, then there's a chance it's put some of the read write files used by the printer software into a folder that the "user" account may not have delete priveleges in.

So, it can write a new entry into the file, and it gets printed, but then when the printer software tries to delete the record, XP pro gets in the way and sticks up a single digit and the application has to retire hurt to the pavillion, having broken the rules.

If that sounds complicated, it is!

I had huge hassles a while back with XP Pro, trying to do a backup within an accounts application. As standard, it's set up to write to floppy discs, and for whatever reason, it was refusing point blank to write to a CD-RW, which is much more suitable. In the end, in the absence of the time to go digging deep into security and permissions, I do the backup to a second partition of the HDD, which it's totally happy to do, then when I exit from the app, do a drag & drop to a CD-RW.

One way round this might be to make the user account into a "power user" account. That's assuming that it's not already got administrator rights, if it has, then this idea may not be so valid, but it for sure was an issue here.

For what it's worth, I'm looking after 6 machines, 5 of them on XP Pro, the other on XP home, and they are all behaving OK with SP2 installed.

Let us know if this helps any

Best of luck

Binoculars
6th Mar 2005, 07:00
rotorcraig, I can't find any more recent drivers. I suspect Irish Steve is probably on the right track, since it started after I installed XP. But I didn't change any user settings, don't think I was even prompted to, and there are no restrictions on either computer on the network that I can tell. Having said that, the intricacies of networking are a little beyond me.

I think I'll just have to get used to the idea of deleting the print queue after printing every time until a guru comes to the house for some other reason. :) Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

SoftTop
6th Mar 2005, 11:49
Bino's

How have you set the print buffer?

Click on Start, then Printers & Faxes. check that you have the "problem" printer set as default (black circle with tick inside against it).

Right click on that printer, choose Properties and then the Advanced tab.

What settings do you have in there?

Is the printer connected directly to the PC or via a print server? If connected to the PC, is that via USB, serial or parallel port? (sorry if you've already given that info earlier).

Not sure if I can do anything with the info you give on the above, but there may be a clue in there somewhere.

Cheers

ST

Toxteth O'Grady
6th Mar 2005, 13:52
As SoftTop says, go into the Advanced Properties and try selecting Print Direct To Printer instead of spooling and see if that works.

If not reselect spooled printing and deselect:

Hold mismatched

Print spooled first

Keep printed

Enable advanced

Also make sure that 'Use printer offline' is not selected. One more to try. Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services and scroll down to Print Spooler, right click and open Properties. Try setting the service to Manual rather than Automatic. Go to the Log On tab and ensure Local System Account is selected. Go to the Recovery tab and select 'Take No Action' in all three failure boxes.

Suggest you try these suggestions one by one so you know which is the cause of the problem.

HTH

:cool:

TOG

Binoculars
6th Mar 2005, 14:17
SoftTop,
It's connected directly to the printer via a USB port. It comes up as "Virtual printer port for USB" under Properties/Ports.

Selected Print direct to Printer and nothing printed at all. Reselected Spool printing and deslected all options as described. Test page won't print at all; troubleshooter comes up. At command prompt what do I type as printer port instead of LPT1?

Off to bed now, and will return in the morning.

Toxteth O'Grady
6th Mar 2005, 18:00
Did you deselect the options one at a time and try after each change? Hope you didn't do them all in one go!

USB printers can be very fickle to instal and should always be initially connected after the driver instal and not the other way round.

You could try deleting the printer from Printers and Faxes, then uninstal the drivers either in Add/Remove Programs or in Device Manager.

Then make sure you unplug the USB to disconnect the printer. Put in your orignal Samsung set-up disc and re-instal the drivers. The installation wizard should prompt you when to reconnect the printet.

:cool:

TOG

Binoculars
9th Mar 2005, 09:40
Well, we live and learn but sometimes we aren't sure just what we've learned. :(

After trying all sorts of things, either suggested here and otherwise, the printer decided it would put a stop to my complaining by refusing to print at all. It would print itself a test page ok, and the computer was perfectly happy about it all, recognising the hardware, drivers etc and assuring me all was well. But attempting to print a document led to a long pause then a statement of the bleeding obvious; there is a problem.

This afternoon after removing all traces of anything to do with Samsung, (for about the fifth time) I decided to use the Add New Printer wizard instead of installing it from the setup disc. "Your new hardware is installed and ready." As indeed it was, as it proved by printing just fine.

So it works but I have no idea why it didn't before. Still, that's gotta be progress. :ok:

rotorcraig
9th Mar 2005, 18:33
Very pleased to hear it!

Probably something about WinXP preferring the drivers (or some other component/setting) built into Windows than the ones on your Samsung disk I expect.

But sometimes it's best to quit whilst you're winning and not worry too much about how you got there :D :D

RC

SoftTop
9th Mar 2005, 19:51
Good result Bino's.

I have to admit that I've seldom used the supplied disks with add-on hardware like printers, scanners or joysticks. Tended to rely on the OS "helping" me, and then getting the latest drivers from the manufacturers' sites. Only time that didn't work too well was with the installation of a SATA drive on one of my sons' PCs. Nightmare, but got there eventually.

All good learning experiences! :ouch: :{

ST

:ok: