PDA

View Full Version : Concorde Pilots

ken mills
23rd Feb 2005, 10:21
I have been advised to make an appeal through this Forum for any help in tracking down former Concorde Pilots either retired or still in Active Service.
Several years ago I found the contact address for the late Brian Trubshaw in a copy of Who's Who and as one of my hobbies is Philography I wrote to him to ask for his Autograph to add to my collection. I duly enclosed a SAE and he very kindly signed my Photos and cards and wrote me a nice letter.
With the sad demise of such a beautiful plane I though it would be a nice idea to try and obtain the signatures of as many serving Concorde Pilots as I could. I tried the Library again but couldn't find any addresses. I then wrote to British Airways who told me they were unable to give me contact addresses but also didn't offer to " Forward Mail " on for me.
I did however receive a warm letter from Capt Paul Douglas the General Manager of Flight Operations an ex Concorde Pilot himself and he said he would try to obtain some signatures if possible. Could anyone give me any further assistance or advice ?
All Best Wishes
Ken Mills

JackOffallTrades
23rd Feb 2005, 18:54
Are you a relation of Roger Mills, a retired Concorde captain?

(edited for spelling!)

ken mills
23rd Feb 2005, 19:40
Hi There,
No I'm not related - just a coincidence. Do you have any ideas as to how to further my search ?
All The Best
Ken

Eric Mc
23rd Feb 2005, 20:43
Is A E Gilman stil around? I have his book "Croydon to Concorde" which is a fascinating insight into the career of an airline pilot who started on Dragon Rapides and finished on Concordes.

ken mills
23rd Feb 2005, 21:04
I was advised by Capt Paul Douglas to obtain a book entitled The Concorde Story by Christopher Orlebar and I took a copy out at our Local Library. It Lists all Captains, First Officers and Engineer Officers between 1976 and 1998 and there isn't anybody by that name listed.

Brit312
24th Feb 2005, 11:41
Eric mc
Gilman I believe is no longer with us but I think his book "Croydon to Concorde" is a great read giving a fantastic insight into airline flying in the 1950s.
I can assure you that he never was part of the Concorde fleet, and his claim to to flying Concorde was a quick looksy flight for an aviation magazine, prior to the aircraft entering service

Ken Mills --- If you really want to get some of the Crew's signatures then perhaps the best way with Captain Douglas help is to send your copy of Orlebars book to Capt Douglas who might be able to get the book to one of the crews reunion dinners, which happen about 2 or 3 times a year

Taildragger
24th Feb 2005, 22:41
Ken ...
Try the Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators (GAPAN).
They have a lot of ex Concorde Pilot members.
Their address is Cobham House, 9 Warwick Court, Grays Inn, London WC1R 5DJ tel 020 7404 4032 Email [email protected]
Website www.gapan.org
John Hutchinson, for many years the media "face" of Concorde, is a member.

Captain Airclues
24th Feb 2005, 23:05
ken

Why not try the Royal Aeronautical Society. One of their ex presidents, Captain W D 'Jock' Lowe would be able to put you in touch with a few.

RAeS, 4 Hamilton Place, London W1J 7BQ, tel 02074993515, e-mail; [email protected] website www.raes.org.uk

While on the subject of Concorde crew signatures:

On the 21st january 1976, I was operating a 747 from London to New York. Before checking in for the flight I bought one of the first day covers that the Post office were selling in T3. As I was checking my flight plan I realised that the Concorde crew (+ Captain Trubshaw) were checking their flight plan next to me. I got out my first day cover and asked the four of them if they would sign it, to which they duly obliged. It now has pride of place on my study wall.
If you ever see the video of the first take-off, we are the 747 at the hold in the old BOAC colours (blue tail, gold speedbird). The delay in co-ordinating the take-off with the Air France Concorde caused us to divert to Boston, but that is another story.

Airclues

Miles Hi
25th Feb 2005, 12:16
Ken,

Check your PM's.

regards

Miles.

Lost_luggage34
25th Feb 2005, 12:40
Cpt Airclues - make sure that is well protected from the sun etc.

Worth a fortune sentimentally more than monetary-wise so don't let it get faded !

DryV1
25th Feb 2005, 13:32
Taildragger,
Was the John Hutchison you mention above the same guy who worked in the Press/Publicity office at BAC Filton and Rolls Royce Bristol in the late '60s early 70's?

if so could you let me know. Thanks
DryV1

Captain Airclues
25th Feb 2005, 19:11
Lost_luggage34

Many thanks for the advice. I have removed it from the wall and put it in a safe place.

Airclues

Brian Dixon
25th Feb 2005, 20:44
Ken,
check your PMs

Also, does This (http://www.concordesst.com/home.html) help?

Brian

Feather #3
26th Feb 2005, 09:23
DryV1 ,

No, I don't think so as he's been flying continuously with RAF/BOAC/BA. BTW it's Hutchinson.

G'day ;)

Taildragger
2nd Mar 2005, 23:30
Dry V1, as Feather #3 says, he would not be that soldier.!!

Airclues .... I was there on that suspicious day when the Poison Dart pushed back, and I got my Cover stamped. I still have it in my pride of place collection, but not as important as yours ......had I but known, I could have elbowed you out of the way.!!. Yours is a real treasure, which cannot be replicated.
If we could go back to fast rewind, it wouldn't be the same. Anyway, I can tell my Grandchildren about it, which is going to be a good trick since I don't even have any kids in the first place.!!
Richer but can't complain about school fees.!!
And my spelling of Hutchinson is absolutely spot on...so there.!!

Flying Lawyer
10th Mar 2005, 15:40
Ken

Some ideas for you .....

'Bellerophon', a regular contributor to PPRuNe, was a Concorde Captain. I don't know if he'd be prepared to reveal his real name, but there's nothing to lose by sending him an e-mail via the forums.

Captain Tim Orchard who runs the BA Flying Club at Wycombe.
Tim was a member of the crew which set the fastest ever JFK-LHR time - 2 hrs 52 mins 59 secs. (I don't think that record was ever broken, but I'm not 100% sure.) You could try writing to him at the BA Flying Club.

Captain W D 'Jock' Lowe was one of (possibly the) longest serving BA Concorde pilots, as well as being Chief Pilot and Commercial Manager Concorde. I could get an autograph for you - email me your details.