PDA

View Full Version : Where to train?

fray bentos pielot
22nd Feb 2005, 23:39
I'm thinking about going to Oxford for full time ATPL ground school. Then a CPL/IR at Aeros in Gloucester.

Also SEP vs. MEP CPL?

Any thoughts...

Nice flaps
23rd Feb 2005, 00:12
If you're looking at Oxford for the groundschool I would suggest you have a look at PGT based at Kemble: www.pilotgroundtraining.com
Pretty much all ex-Oxford instructors but you have the benefit of it being a much more personal service.
I did my flying training at Flightpass (Exeter) and can recommend them extremely highly:
www.flightpass.co.uk
Similar concept to PGT- excellent instruction, great environment and very personal. I really don't think you will find better.
I would do your CPL SEP unless you have some cash burning a hole in your pocket as it really doesn't make any difference.
I guess most people will tend to recommend the place they have experience of so make sure you have a really good look at the places you're thinking of going to so that you can be sure they're right for you.
Good luck with it all,
NF

EGAC_Ramper
23rd Feb 2005, 09:29
Indeed visit your proposed training providers.I'm off to visit Bristol Flying Centre tomorrow as they have been ercommended on these hallowed forums too aswell as Aeros at Gloucester.There are numerous training providers out there so visit as many and get an understanding of them and you can then determine if they suit you or not.

Regards:D

fray bentos pielot
23rd Feb 2005, 20:14
Thanks for the advice guys. All information is much appreciated.

I have already been to look at both Oxford and Aeros. I was impressed with Oxford's facilities, but expected to be. I think I’m quite set on doing my ground school there. However, I don't want to do any flying with them.

I also looked at PGT for ground school but the course start dates don't suit me. I also wondered how they justified being nearly £1,000 more expensive than anyone else.

I have heard a lot of good things about Exeter and will give them a closer look.

Aeros were extremely friendly and gave the impression there would be a more one to one approach. At Oxford there is the potential for you to just be a name. Would anyone agree?

If anyone has trained at either Oxford or Aeros I’d love to hear what you thought...

EGAC_Ramper
24th Feb 2005, 18:07
Just to further add to this post I did visit BFC today and can say was very impressed and certainly have no qualms about taking my business there.Was shown around by Joe McGrath and impressed by the whole setup.Even got to fly in the FNPT 2 simulator for a quick spin round Bristol.:D Very personal with student/instructor ratio limited and hope to start there August this year.

Regards:ok:

fray bentos pielot
24th Feb 2005, 23:11
All the best with the training EGAC_Ramper. I will defo give them a look.

pipergirl
25th Feb 2005, 04:25
I'm trying not to get too bogged down with this at the mo as i still have a few more exams to complete...

I have looked into a few schools, but the one thing that does annoy me are schools that don't even bother replying to emails.
I emailed naples AGES ago and ptc(in waterford) amongst others and even called ptc and someone was supposed to call me back, but never did...
Like, I can understand places can be a bit busy, but when you have contacted them a few times and just don't bother replying, it really gets up my left nostril :*

darragh_ptc
25th Feb 2005, 12:49
Oops!! Looks like we've serioiusly slipped up here.... :sad: Apologies....

Pipergirl, email us again at [email protected] and we'll get on the case. Meanwhile I'm riffling through emails to see if we can get back to you first....

Darragh Owens
Business Development Manager
Pilot Training College of Ireland